Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
quasar34

305 tpi car won't rev, backfiring...

ok guys, so last week i was on my way to circuit city getting onto rt 17 and i went to punch it to get on the highway and the car just died.. got the car started as i rolled toward the highway and then the car wouldnt rev up as i gave it gas.. the car died again as i was on the highway so i rolled over into a parking lot in which i couldnt get the car to start for a good 5-10 mins.. once i got the car started it wouldnt rev up past like 2,500rpms and was backfiring like a mofo.. i decided i better get the car back home in fear of getting in an accident or stuck on rt 17..for the first few minutes the car would only go 35-40mph with the gas at WOT then as i got closer to my house decreased to about 15-20mph. car wouldnt start for a few hours later did the same thing..i let the car sit and didnt drive it untill 2 hours ago..

today my friend mike (maroman88 ) came by to scan the car to see if it threw any codes but it was no success.. started her up and it ran alright, so we took the car around the block and for the first half of my block the car felt ok as far as revving up and then it started acting up again.. top speed of 15-20mph and wouldnt rev past 2,500rpms.. got the car back to my house turned it off and now it wont start..anyone have a clue what this could be?

Last edited by quasar34; 04-02-2007 at 03:27 PM.
quasar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

clogged cat?

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
The Fixer

The only time I had a similar problem with my TPI car was when the ignition module took a dump. That's underneath the rotor, inside the distributor.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
chrisfrom nj

change the fuel filter i had the same problem in the 88 gta i drove it to west orange from garwood i was doing like 25 mph top speed
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
SupermanX24

Bang on the cat with a rubber mallet, see if its clogged. You'll hear a rattling inside of it. After that inspect the fuel filter. Let us know what happens.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
quasar34

i didnt have much time to mess with the car today since i had class and work but i checked the cat and it didnt rattle or make any noises.. think maybe it could be a vacuum leak??
Old 04-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
Untamed

Yeah change the fuel filter then run a detergent through the lines to clean out the injectors.

Are all 8 cyls firing? One or more spark plugs may need to be changed out.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
quasar34

ok so heres an update..
Untamed - i put new spark plugs in about 3-4 months ago.. gunna try the fuel filter sunday..

i was checkin out the car a couple days ago and noticed that the bottom corner of throttle body gasket was sticking out from the side of my throttle body.. so, i put a new gasket on, and nothing changed.. I also put a new cap and rotor on after the gasket and nothing changed.. today i decided to throw in a new tps and that also didnt help.. i checked my fuel pressure and it was reading about 36-38, is that a little bit low? sunday, im going to change out the fuel filter and see if that helps any

Last edited by quasar34; 04-19-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Batman
11 Second Club

Could be a bad module or coil also, that fuel pressure is a little low for a TPI, I think 42 PSI is normal if memory serves. Was that 36-38 static or under load? Did it drop sharply when you try and rev the car? If it did it could also be a fuel pump, injectors, filter or regulator
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123

Last edited by Batman; 04-20-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
quasar34

alright so i just went to check out how hard it would be to replace the fuel filter and i went to start the car to back it on ramps and it wouldn't start.. i did notice that my fuel pump turns on and stays on for a second and then shuts off.. do u think this could be the problem?? maybe the relay of the fuel pump is bad?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Backfire? Maybe a module or pickup coil.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar34 View Post
i did notice that my fuel pump turns on and stays on for a second and then shuts off.. do u think this could be the problem?? maybe the relay of the fuel pump is bad?
the pump primes, once u put the key into the "run" position the pump will prime and then stop and then once you turn the key to crank it then itll start again and the car starts
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Slo86Bird
Banned

my car has the same problem but mine wont stay running for more than 3 seconds. i was told it was the fuel pump/filter. i checked online and it said 60-65 psi and i checked the car and it was 33 psi. i am gunna change the filter to see if thats the case because my sister had that same problem in her f150 2 weeks ago and it wouldnt start so we changed the filter and ran great.
Slo86Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
V
Stalker

it is NOT 60-65 psi
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
Batman
11 Second Club

No way is it 60-65, that is higher then an LS1. Let me consult the book of knowledge today and I will get ypu an answer, for some reason 42 is sticking in my head but that could be an LS1. MOST cars if the fuel pump is going bad it will still idle, then start to break when you add RPM, unless of course thepump is just dead. I am definately leaning toward a coil or module here.

Edit- 34-36 PSI is normal for static conditions in a 305 TPI.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123

Last edited by Batman; 04-21-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I am definately leaning toward a coil or module here.

Edit- 34-36 PSI is normal for static conditions in a 305 TPI.
Like I said in my response waaaaaaaay above, I had that same problem with my TPI car, and it was the ignition module. Bring it to Autozone and have 'em test it. Since your car is a low-mileage Bird, the pickup coil is probably OK, but the module can die anytime.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

i had the same problem multiple times with my car, and the fuel pump crapped out each time...the first time it started and wouldnt rev past idle, then stalled and wouldnt restart until a ride on a tow truck. then it wouldnt recreate the problem unless it was put under load...the 2nd time my pump went it wouldnt rev past 4500 under WOT. The third time my pump went it would run but backfire like crazy and was ridiculously low on power.

I would check fuel pressure again, and if you can get it started tape a gauge to the windshield and take it for a ride around the block or parking lot...see if it falls. You may also want to check for volume of fuel, and voltage to the pump. you can start with easy stuff, like fuel filter (it probably needs to be replaced anyway), if that doesnt help...move on to the bigger.

Like said above dont count out ignition either...
Old 04-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
quasar34

i thought the fuel pressure was supposed to be somewhere around 41-47.. ( i think 47 at WOT) also, i had the ignition switch replaced approximately 6-7 months ago, so i dont think its that...

today mike came over again and we checked out the fuel pressure again and it was reading about 36-38 at idle.. my dads friend said that if you pinch the return hose from the fuel pressure reg with a vise grip that the pressure would jump up, which would rule out a bad fuel pump since it has the capability to handle more than 36-38 lbs.. we tried it quick and it did what he said, the pressure jumped up quite high (i think it was somewhere in the high 40s) so im thinking maybe its the fuel pressure regulator?

also, today the fuel filter was changed and it didnt help.. also swapped out the coil with one mike had in his garage and that didnt help either... so far the things ive ruled out are: tps, fuel filter, cap and rotor, plugs, coil, ignition switch, cat..

i also have a distributor module that mike let me borrow to swap out and see if thats the problem but i havent had the chance to try that out..
Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
Slo86Bird
Banned

me and mattywest changed my filter today and didnt do much. i was also thinking it was the regulator after i found out the filter did nothing. its either that or the pump itself in my car. idk about yours.
Slo86Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar34 View Post
i thought the fuel pressure was supposed to be somewhere around 41-47.. ( i think 47 at WOT) also, i had the ignition switch replaced approximately 6-7 months ago, so i dont think its that...

today mike came over again and we checked out the fuel pressure again and it was reading about 36-38 at idle.. my dads friend said that if you pinch the return hose from the fuel pressure reg with a vise grip that the pressure would jump up, which would rule out a bad fuel pump since it has the capability to handle more than 36-38 lbs.. we tried it quick and it did what he said, the pressure jumped up quite high (i think it was somewhere in the high 40s) so im thinking maybe its the fuel pressure regulator?

also, today the fuel filter was changed and it didnt help.. also swapped out the coil with one mike had in his garage and that didnt help either... so far the things ive ruled out are: tps, fuel filter, cap and rotor, plugs, coil, ignition switch, cat..

i also have a distributor module that mike let me borrow to swap out and see if thats the problem but i havent had the chance to try that out..
yea the other guys are talking about the ignition module, not the switch.

i would still vote fuel pump, as it seems when it gets warmed up is when it starts crapping out. get the car hot, and try doing either small powerbrake to load it or even just rev it up at stand still to see if pressure drops.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
BonzoHansen
Admin.

backfire is usually ignition issues, no?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #22
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
backfire is usually ignition issues, no?
Yes, normally. Especially if it is out the intake. Change the module
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Old 06-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
quasar34

ok guys so ive been checking things out as i can cuz ive been workin a ****load lately.. anyone got any suggestions??
the car will start when sprayed with starting fluid then shuts down, sometimes it will idle but if you try to bring it off idle it dies.

heres some stuff..
1) changed fuel filter
2) spark plugs are ok (about 10k miles on them)
3) have spark (used 2 style testers, one with an LED and the other you set the gap and watch for spark...had plenty of spark)
4) used a noid light (blinks when cranking)
5) fuel pump runs (primes 2 seconds when turned to accessory)
6) checked fuel pressure (45 lbs when ignitions on, when it does run the pressure drops to 38 lbs.)
7) checked TPS (ok, also replaced with a new one and same thing, set at correct voltage)
8.) changed cap and rotor
9) pumped some gas into a glass jar and there was no water apparent
10) checked for codes, there were no codes just the code 12
11) unplugged MAF and there was no change..

could it be bad gas? any ideas would be appreciated.. i really need this thing on the road

Last edited by quasar34; 06-17-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #24
Fast92RS
Power Member

How much gas is in the tank? Try and put some fresh fuel in and try it again. Something still dosnt sound right. Try taking the cat out of the car and try starting it without the cat on. You got fuel, spark. Here is a dumb question? Is there air? Any stuff built up on the throttle body, try cleanig it.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #25
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

i would be looking at the ignition like som eof the others have said. coil, ignition module are both good candidates

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning