Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
MaxTheKiing

Budget Paint Job

Just wondering if anyone knows any paintshops around that isnt to expensive to paint my whole 1997 camaro. Im not looking for a show room job, just a job to paint it all black, or blue. Not looking for anything special, just some place that could do minor body work and paint it.

I live in south jersey, right outside Atlantic City, looking for a place not to far, nothing farther than 2 hours unless its a great price, THANKS!
MaxTheKiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
NastyEllEssWon

rattle can and a large stack of sandpaper.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
transmaro93

MAACO... very few shops can match their prices on paint and body work, but you get what you pay for... for what you want they should be fine... and they are all over the place
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
thunder
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
rattle can and a large stack of sandpaper.
YA i did the roof on my old firebird, its actually not terribly hard. helps if u have a garage to do it in
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
MaxTheKiing

Well i have no garage to do it in, i would do it outside. But, i really dont want to do a homeade job. I've heard the negatives and positives about MAACO, but honestly, are they really THAT bad? I mean im probably looking to spend under 1000, i just want to paint my car.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheKiing View Post
Well i have no garage to do it in, i would do it outside. But, i really dont want to do a homeade job. I've heard the negatives and positives about MAACO, but honestly, are they really THAT bad? I mean im probably looking to spend under 1000, i just want to paint my car.
my dad got his 96 lesabre painted by maaco.. they did an arrite job... i just noticed a spot fading on the hood the other day.. but he got it painted like 3 years ago or something.. id say its worth it .. they do ok.. and you would be paying thousands other places.
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
jola

I had a full car paint job by Maaco in Perth Amboy a few years back. Now the paint is flaking in places and if you look closely you see they painted over dirt in some parts. So my opinion is: prep work is bad, paint quality is not good long term, and the price is great. I was happy with what I got in return for what I paid.

I think there might be different people over there now because the guy now wasn't a classy character.

95 3.4L Firebird
jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
MaxTheKiing

Yeah I think all I need is a maaco job. I don't really want to go to the one in pleasantville down here (for those who don't know pleasantville... Not a good neighborhood) was thinking about going to the Berlin. What do y'all think
Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
fmybody

Quote:
Yeah I think all I need is a maaco job. I don't really want to go to the one in pleasantville down here (for those who don't know pleasantville... Not a good neighborhood) was thinking about going to the Berlin. What do y'all think
im not familiar with any of those areas but i feel like anywhere you go is gonna charge you alot because they are gonna wanna do a good job (or the best they can) and make sure they get paid for it lol

only way around that is if you know someone or if u can hustle like that lol pay cash and be like COMON.. COMON...
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:

i heard good things about the maaco on prospect street in trenton... seriously...the one in toms river i heard does an alright job. id rather rattle can though...seriously.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
band77one
15 Second Club

the one in berlin is fairly new and is a pretty big facility, i live about 10minutes from there but dont know anyone who has taken anything there. My friend had his 70 chevelle painted by maaco, kid doesnt effin listen to anyone, he spent 6500 and has very poor prep work. so, just be careful in what you are expecting and how long you are expecting it to last at maaco. hell any place really these days.
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
MaxTheKiing

I have no experience painting at all, so i really dont trust myself painting my car. Im just looking for it to get painted, dont want anything fancy
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
maroman88
12 Second Club

my camaro was painted by macco up here in saddle brook id say atleast 10 years ago, most of it still looks good however the roof just feels like its getting thin, the car did sit outside for years tho lol. it depends on which one u go to and how good their employees are/
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
MaxTheKiing

Yeah saddlebrook is way far away, i think once im ready to get my car painted, ima search around.

BTW, what type of paint job did you get at maaco?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
btownws6

i have a shop i can't do 1000 but i can get as close to that as possible i mean maaco is cheap and some of them are ok but if you want shoot me a pm and we can talk about it. the reasoni can cut it down is bc it's our shop and we do this as a hobby we have other jobs lol were not like most shops that need it to survive ya know so let me know

Last edited by btownws6; 05-06-2010 at 11:49 AM.
btownws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Mark B

Quote:
For $1000 you dont really have a choice. Its Macco or nothing. The good news is that for $1000 you can get one of Maccos better packages. The key is going to be doing some prep work yourself. Take as much off the car as you can before bringing it to them. Lights, handles, trim, weatherstripping, emblems, etc. The more you take off the better the car will look and longer it the paint will last. Best part is that taking things off is FREE!

What will make the price go up in a hurry is if you are changing the color of the car. Since it sounds like you are changing colors, you have to think about door jambs, trunk jambs, under the hood, etc. Painting all of those places will cost you extra money. Your $1000 budget will go quick. Even at a place like Macco.

01 GMC Sierra C3 6.0L, AWD, Westers Tune, K&N, Hella LED Tails
03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, GMPP Handling Kit, LS1 F-Body Brakes

Last edited by Mark B; 05-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
1998chevycamaroz28

I work at the Maaco in Union...Basically you can get an economy Base/Clear Paint service with a 5 Year Warranty for under $1000...Most Maacos charger $799-$999 for the Base coat/ Clear coat Service...And its a good looking paint job...when you ready, if you want to shoot me a pm and come check out our shop Ill show you something we did in a base/clear(assuming i have one in the shop at that time which i usually do)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
B4C

Rustoleum...mineral spirits...foam roller...sand paper...elbow grease=maaco quallity for $100 or less
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #19
HardcoreZ28

I agree with some of the above posts....if you're hellbent on a budget job try to do the prep yourself. Remove all of the trim and emblems. Is your current paint failing at all or just dull? If it's not failing you could wetsand the car yourself with 400 grit paper to make sure it's done properly and you won't have adhesion issues.

If you're not experienced with bodywork either have the paint shop do it or find a friend that can help you.

Realize that for under $1,000 the material quality is going to be poor at best. When we shoot a car just the base and clear with all of the reducers and hardners run about $1,200 and that doesn't include primer. Add in all the labor involved to do the job right as well as materials and the final cut and buff and our jobs go upwards of $12,000 or more.

Just be prepared for what you may get for that price. The devil is in the details...so prep as much as you can before turning the car over.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #20
MaxTheKiing

I live to far away from Union, NJ, almost 3 hours. But thanks for the info everyone! i appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
FoodStampsz

MAACO hooked me up was $1,300 for everything base and clearcoat as well as painting the lower body the factory 2 tone. Had them put on a new door and fender which I supplied. Paint was decent at best but other shops were charging me $1,000 just to media blast it.
FoodStampsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
BonzoHansen
Admin.

As with any chain in any business, results differ from location to location.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
MaxTheKiing

Anyone know anything about the pleasantville or berlin maaco?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #24
Bcozzi71

I got my old firebird DD painted at maaco for 495 bucks. Dropped it off on weds got it on friday. Looked great for what I wanted.
****** pic but its the only one I have cause I sold the car soon after....

He painted my friends RX7 and he painted a friends 81 camaro and did a great job, but he got like a $3000 paint job.

its the one in Lawnside Nj

Last edited by Bcozzi71; 05-08-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Bcozzi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #25
NjbadSS

I had a friend with a Honda del sol get his car painted at Maaco and to be honest, I was amazed at how good it looked for the cheap price he paid. Only problem is within a couple of years it was already peeling. I am curious if you can buy a good brand of paint and bring the car and paint to them and have them spray it? I have talked to a few guys familiar with the company and they say that they use a very crappy quality paint, not sure the truth to that?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance