Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
Mezzy

I've done my share of racing their and have been going their since I was a kid with my dad. My dad used to drag race their with his 67 Plymouth GTX. It's terrible if it closes but noone has said where the rumor even started. I haven't heard a thing. The website is set up for next season like nothing is wrong. Could just be a rumor. Does anyone know the actual truth?
Mezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
omarcamaro
12 Second Club

a friend of mine keeps his car at island and knows the family the track is not closing

67 Camaro RS
70 Camaro RS
95 Camaro Z28
omarcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcamaro View Post
a friend of mine keeps his car at island and knows the family the track is not closing
Strange considering other people with stuff there were told to come get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #29
mc73nova

As of now they are all rumors, no one really knows except the parties involved. It is a shame if they shut down, some people that don't race on Saturday's(points days) wouldn't know that it is like a home away from home, one big family.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #30
Dudbird113

That sucks, etown is only open for test n tune because of the ricers rumor has it. If local tracks close then that leads to more street racing.(not saying its a bad thing haha)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #31
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudbird113 View Post
That sucks, etown is only open for test n tune because of the ricers rumor has it. If local tracks close then that leads to more street racing.(not saying its a bad thing haha)
It is a bad thing.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
Dudbird113

Nah, just gotta do it on a good road not on route 9 with traffic like idiots do. Like a back road, ive raced more on the road then at the track
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudbird113 View Post
Nah, just gotta do it on a good road not on route 9 with traffic like idiots do. Like a back road, ive raced more on the road then at the track
Time for a reminder on NJFBOA's stance on street racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
• Nothing illegal
- No discussions advocating street racing, use of illegal drugs, stories of underage drinking, etc.
The loss of any NJ track is a bad thing.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Thats good for the track's future are perhaps staying a track. If etown were to ever close, they would have that strip out of there so fast.

Well, in the hope of a racing future in NJ, hopefully thats not the case

Is it now a superfund site..?
Englishtown was pretty close to getting shut down a few years ago - nearby residents were complaining about the noise from their $800k mcmansions. At least the housing market crashed so that has been pushed a few years out at the minimum due to still open space and the fact that they pay a lot of taxes to the town and state.

I want all of you to be aware of how lucky we are here in NJ, we have three 1/4 mile tracks here in a small state with less than average per capita drag racers - if Island survives. In the 20+ million population of LA, all the tracks have been closed - either sprawl or ass clown neighbors have killed them all. And considering that is where hot rodding started over 60 years ago, that is a travesty. So guess what, street racing is heading through the roof because there are no alternatives.

I never liked Island - it's a misfit track that is more something you might find behind a corn field out in the midwest, but it's the idea that counts - a sanctioned place to race.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
Englishtown was pretty close to getting shut down a few years ago - nearby residents were complaining about the noise from their $800k mcmansions.
They can complain all they want. Fact is that track was there before any of the houses. They built and bought them with the track already there. Not the tracks fault that they were sold their houses during the winter. Lol
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #36
Dudbird113

East windsor raceway closed due to housing around it
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmanvette75 View Post
They can complain all they want. Fact is that track was there before any of the houses. They built and bought them with the track already there. Not the tracks fault that they were sold their houses during the winter. Lol
must be nice to be young & naive

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
coolmanvette75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
No the house owners are the naive ones. Its like buying a house next to an airport and then trying to get it shut down because its too loud. You know its there, so live somewhere else if you cant deal with it. They all knew the track was there. Kinda hard to miss it. If you don't like the noise you shouldn't have moved there in the first place...
Quote:
who is FFB?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #39
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
No the house owners are the naive ones. Its like buying a house next to an airport and then trying to get it shut down because its too loud. You know its there, so live somewhere else if you cant deal with it. They all knew the track was there. Kinda hard to miss it. If you don't like the noise you shouldn't have moved there in the first place...
Naive again FFB. But, off topic.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:

great, we know how it should be, but that ain't how the world moves.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
TheV6Guy

Social Networks:

Its sad if its true. I went there all the time. Tried going on their website to se if there's anything on there about it but it says the websites down everytime I try. My thing is you don't know what to believe. Everywhere I try to find out about it the info is on some kind of forum.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #42
Troy

Ouch...hopefully they can ride out this economy
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #43
spina74

Don't quote me on this, but if i recall a few years ago rumors were floating around that contractors wanted to build homes close to atco raceway and were trying to get them shut down as well.
1992 Camaro RS - slow 305 6 speed (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you View Post
What is a opti?
spina74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #44
Mezzy

Who knows the truth?
Mezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #45
coolmanvette75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy View Post
Who knows the truth?
About Island? They owe feds money and the epa is on their ass. Once January 1st rolls around a lock will be placed on the gate and the property will be seized. Newest rumor has it that there might be a few parties interested in purchasing the property before this happens. Keep an eye on the YellowBullet thread. You gotta sort through a ton of ******** posts but there is good info to be had there. Many people posting in there are directly connected with the track owners and the interested parties possibly looking to buy it...
Quote:
who is FFB?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #46
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Ever heard of Flemington Speedway?

Municipalities care more about tax money and being able to charge more of it than they do about a race track.

Quote:
About Island? They owe feds money and the epa is on their ass. Once January 1st rolls around a lock will be placed on the gate and the property will be seized. Newest rumor has it that there might be a few parties interested in purchasing the property before this happens. Keep an eye on the YellowBullet thread. You gotta sort through a ton of ******** posts but there is good info to be had there. Many people posting in there are directly connected with the track owners and the interested parties possibly looking to buy it...
Melissa is a member here, and is good friends with most of the OG folks on here. We would know straight up. Those YB guys are running their mouths. Some seem to know the real deal, others are spouting crap.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Ever heard of Flemington Speedway?

Municipalities care more about tax money and being able to charge more of it than they do about a race track.
Ding ding ding! That is the correct answer. Munis make more from homeowners, businesses than they would the track. If there is opportunity to build more homes/businesses which would bring in more tax revenue, they will do it. As for Island, I have no impression of how the locals or muni feels about the track.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #48
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Problem is that the 300 or more houses that could be built on a lot like Raceway park or Island (if they were converted to residential lots) would be in the millions per year - maybe RP pays a good amount in property and sales taxes, but Island sure doesn't.

When enough people complain, things happen and that is a fact of life.

I mentioned LA earlier in the thread for a reason - that being a movement toward eliminating any sort of outlying non-residential, minimal tax generating properties. You can even throw farms on that list because they don't generate hardly any property taxes; so if NJ tracks go extinct, don't expect a new one to pop up somewhere out of a huge open field out in the sticks.

Flemington Speedway - remember going there quite a bit when I was younger before they closed...

Towns can and do use just about any means to close down unwanted businesses - EPA, illegal stuff, criminal activity, lawsuits, imminent domain - name it and they do it. As long as a court sides with them, it goes through.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
V
Stalker

From what I just read on Facebook, written by a person closer to Island than anyone here so far or on YB, its not a closed matter as of yet.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #50
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
Problem is that the 300 or more houses that could be built on a lot like Raceway park or Island (if they were converted to residential lots) would be in the millions per year - maybe RP pays a good amount in property and sales taxes, but Island sure doesn't.

When enough people complain, things happen and that is a fact of life.

I mentioned LA earlier in the thread for a reason - that being a movement toward eliminating any sort of outlying non-residential, minimal tax generating properties. You can even throw farms on that list because they don't generate hardly any property taxes; so if NJ tracks go extinct, don't expect a new one to pop up somewhere out of a huge open field out in the sticks.

Flemington Speedway - remember going there quite a bit when I was younger before they closed...

Towns can and do use just about any means to close down unwanted businesses - EPA, illegal stuff, criminal activity, lawsuits, imminent domain - name it and they do it. As long as a court sides with them, it goes through.
A lot of farms in our area are preserved farmland/green acres. They are purchased by the municipalities and property owners pay for their taxes or something like that.

You would never see that for a racetrack.

And FWIW, here's another that went away long ago- Flemington Dragway:

WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge