Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
_87TA_

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmuffin View Post
so i am looking for something a little beefer than what i have in the formula, so i was thinking about going with a 350 tbi, or going with a tpi i found

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1799387962.html

what do you think is it worth picking something like that up? again i dont know much about the motor itself but i know i dont want **** power!!! the 305 is little...
Do it! We can rebuild it. we have the technology... we can get the money I'll help also

Oh and were you cleaning out the 91 today?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #27
hrdlydangerous

Quote:
so i am looking for something a little beefer than what i have in the formula, so i was thinking about going with a 350 tbi, or going with a tpi i found

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1799387962.html

what do you think is it worth picking something like that up? again i dont know much about the motor itself but i know i dont want **** power!!! the 305 is little...
The engine in the ad looks like an older version because of the lack of a serpentine belt. I'd be leery of buying an engine that "ran hot" and was pulled for rebuilding especially when decent SBCs are a dime a dozen. Just because it turns over with a wrench doesn't mean it's not fubar inside. If it was no big deal to fix he'd have fixed it by now. Just my $.02.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
drmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdlydangerous View Post
The engine in the ad looks like an older version because of the lack of a serpentine belt. I'd be leery of buying an engine that "ran hot" and was pulled for rebuilding especially when decent SBCs are a dime a dozen. Just because it turns over with a wrench doesn't mean it's not fubar inside. If it was no big deal to fix he'd have fixed it by now. Just my $.02.
Ok cool thanks. You happen to know where to look for one round these parts?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
drmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_TA View Post
Do it! We can rebuild it. we have the technology... we can get the money I'll help also

Oh and were you cleaning out the 91 today?

Yeah, I am going to do it, definitely putting a 350 in it, of some sort. Sweet for the offer to help, I am really going to need it seeing as how this will be my first swap.

Yeah that way once i get it running it is going to be driveable it was a mess in there dirty clothes, trash wendy's wrappers in there... it was pretty bad so now its cleaned up a little bit. just gotta get it running which is my goal for august. Also while i look for a new motor to start building up in the wonderfull thing they call a shead in my back yard.

Oh and thanks for all the welcomes guys.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
_87TA_

You wouldn't happen to need an exhaust system would you?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-16823HKR/

Bought it, never installed it just sitting in shed...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
hrdlydangerous

Quote:
Ok cool thanks. You happen to know where to look for one round these parts?
I would look to a salvage yard that has a good reputation. Often times they offer a warranty with their engines. Its nice to have someone standing behind a product you just spent your cash on.

I don't want to seem like I'm putting your idea of swapping engines down. I'm all for a car with more power. I just know from experience that things are never as easy as they seem. From what I've read you've got a car that doesn't run and limited ability to fix it. You may want to get it running as it is and add bolt ons to make it faster as engine swaps also involve computers and wiring and a little luck too.

Matt
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #32
drmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdlydangerous View Post
I would look to a salvage yard that has a good reputation. Often times they offer a warranty with their engines. Its nice to have someone standing behind a product you just spent your cash on.

I don't want to seem like I'm putting your idea of swapping engines down. I'm all for a car with more power. I just know from experience that things are never as easy as they seem. From what I've read you've got a car that doesn't run and limited ability to fix it. You may want to get it running as it is and add bolt ons to make it faster as engine swaps also involve computers and wiring and a little luck too.

Matt

Yeah i appreciate your input I am definitely taking all advice, i think its got headers, exhaust, and maybe more and i know two owners ago was trying to make this a track car and lost the want to do it. it has definitely been dogged on, i know when i got it my only goal was for it to last a year when i bought it and i beat the hell outta it. but i was thinking the other day that i love the car itself, the way it drives, and all that. so i wanted to keep it. but with that being said i don't know if it is worth doing anything to the motor and thats if i can even get it up and running. which i hope to try and get it up and running this week with out buying anything, or if i have to buy something i will have to wait until the first.

Also doing a swap is how you get the knowhow, and i'm pretty sure there is someone who can help. right now this is all just the plan. hell if worse comes to worse ill find a shop to put it in. its something that i've wanted to do since i was a ricer... just never found a car that was a keeper. and now i have one and i want to give it a new chance at life... ok that was corny but its true. it was my first real car that was fun to drive.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #33
Chad

welcome, you got yourself a few sets of nice wheels there =)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #34
drmuffin

ok so i finally got the fireing order right, i was going backwards. someone was trying to help me work on it, disconnected everything, and then hooked it up all funky, so i ended up going the oppisit direction than i was suposed to, so good news is car now cranks but putters when i hit the accelerator but no start, it seems like its kicking air out of the exhaust. while trying to start for a few minutes battery died. hooked up some jumper cables to it tried starting again hoping it was just a weak bat and it tried to crank harder but still no start. i put a new ignition coil on it plugged it in, hooked up the spark plug wire to it, and stuck a spark plug in it that wasnt being used and i dont think im getting a spark, ive changed the Ignition Control module as well as spark plugs cap and rotor at a loss of what to attempt next.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #35
89 Iroc-Z28

welcome

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction