Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
6spdg37s

Help ! where to get a crate stroker 383 from ?

My head is spinning...

I got an 83 Monte Carlo SS with a blown up 305. I want to put a 383 stroker in around 420-460 hp. I been spending tons of time researching this and every company someone has something bad to say.

Please point in me in the right direction from first hand experience !?

-blueprint
-ATK
-Pace performance
-skip white performance

any others ?

thanks !
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

John, I believe Adam still has his 385ci that went 10s in his Camaro. I think it was callies/compstar crank and rods, LE2 heads, blah blah blah. I think he posted about it recently too.

*edit*
Found the posts I was referencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have my 95 long block with computer, accessories, etc fully assembled if he wants to go fast. forged 385, le2's, 4 bolt mains, all the goodies. 10.85 @ 124
Quote:
Accepting offers currently. The only thing I would replace is the flex plate. Compstar crank and rods, srp pistons, 11.1:1 scr, 238/246 .592/.592 110 iirc, mail order tune, injectors, bls polish up top, new valve covers, I'll leave the modified accessory bracket with it too.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 10-27-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
6spdg37s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
John, I believe Adam still has his 385ci that went 10s in his Camaro. I think it was callies/compstar crank and rods, LE2 heads, blah blah blah. I think he posted about it recently too.

*edit*
Found the posts I was referencing
kind of want new, also has to be a CARBED
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

I would take a look at Blueprint''s offerings on Summit Racing website. You can get free shipping and the prices are good. Plus they offer 383s in quite a few variations.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
6spdg37s

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
I would take a look at Blueprint''s offerings on Summit Racing website. You can get free shipping and the prices are good. Plus they offer 383s in quite a few variations.
So the issue is i keep reading reviews from people all over the place, blueprint is bad, atk is bad, pace is bad , etc ; i dont know who to believe or not believe anymore... thats why was hoping for some first hand experience.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Oh noes the internet!

Dont let that stifle you too much, you can find bad word about everything on the inteweb.

You could always have one built.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
6spdg37s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Oh noes the internet!

Dont let that stifle you too much, you can find bad word about everything on the inteweb.

You could always have one built.
even diff builders lol everyone had a problem with someone lol
Old 10-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
kind of want new, also has to be a CARBED
You should go with a local machine shop, like I did, and get something built nice and to your liking. Mass produced stuff just won't compare.

You can throw a carb intake on my motor no problem. You get aluminum heads, reverse flow cooling, and proven bang for your buck. If its not what you want, no problem. I am looking for something to drop it into currently
Old 10-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
6spdg37s

Quote:
You should go with a local machine shop, like I did, and get something built nice and to your liking. Mass produced stuff just won't compare.

You can throw a carb intake on my motor no problem. You get aluminum heads, reverse flow cooling, and proven bang for your buck. If its not what you want, no problem. I am looking for something to drop it into currently
possibly lol still have time just trying to do my homework. but to be honest local tune shops dont even wanna build a SBC lol there all about LS motors which is what my camaro is obviously lol but want something different. Local machine shops that i contacted are no longer around they moved.

you have any good local machine shops ?

I am still really leaning towards a Blueprint because it is thru summit and they seem to stand behind everything they sell in the past.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
V
Stalker

My feeling on internet reviews... Anyone who had a bad experience will be sure to make it known, but barely anyone who had a good experience thinks twice about posting a positive review, so you will almost always see more bad than good. Think about the quanity they turn out and the percentage of real problems. And by real I mean defects and such not install or break in related failures. If its a larger company, than there's some sort of warranty for the real unforeseen circumstances.

And if it helps any, back in 2000, I got a 383 long block from speed-o-motive out in cali(?). I was satisfied. I sold the car not that long afterwards to pay insurance on a 2001 Camaro SS.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #11
6spdg37s

yeah i thought about the mass produced number and I noticed that people seem to only leave negative reviews and the motors I am looking at all have warranties
Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
possibly lol still have time just trying to do my homework. but to be honest local tune shops dont even wanna build a SBC lol there all about LS motors which is what my camaro is obviously lol but want something different. Local machine shops that i contacted are no longer around they moved.

you have any good local machine shops ?

I am still really leaning towards a Blueprint because it is thru summit and they seem to stand behind everything they sell in the past.
CMS motorsports in Brick, NJ. They are in the same lot as Lightning Jack's marina. They are old school guys, what you want to do is standard for them. Neil and Tom, both are very cool old school racers. They've done motors for a few members and everyone has been very happy.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
6spdg37s

Quote:
CMS motorsports in Brick, NJ. They are in the same lot as Lightning Jack's marina. They are old school guys, what you want to do is standard for them. Neil and Tom, both are very cool old school racers. They've done motors for a few members and everyone has been very happy.
no way thats where I launch my ski out of sometimes haha small world. I will look them up now !
Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #14
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

They did some work for me on my SBC motor, couldn't be happier with them.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning