Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
griftymcgrift

shift time?

can anyone tell me why my 4l60e shifts slow? i have noticed it since i bought it. i cleaned my MAF and all of the throttle body plugs and had the battery unplugged for almost an hour a few months ago, and that seemed to help for a while. but i have noticed it takes like a full second to shift. is it shift kit time, or can i replace a band or something. 99 T/A completely stock except for a lid by the way.
griftymcgrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

what does the fluid look like? is it low? u didn't mention anything but usually you start at the problem area (tranny!) and work from there.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

As long as there are no mechanical issues the computer can be adjusted to shorten shift time and firmness. They were pretty soft from the factory to keep the cars from giving a shift that might be undesireable to the soccer moms and from breaking parts.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
johnjzjz

dont know for sure if syntrans oil like mobil 1 will do anything for a unit like yours BUT my 03 chevy 2500 D max with an allison it made a real time difference in how long it took to shift BUT again at almost 7 bucks a quart and a pan swap is 8 quarts its not cheap but it did what i was looking for and to remove some of the sliding it did when shifting - jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
griftymcgrift

to tell you the truth, the fluid hasnt been checked in a while. ill get on that tonight. but even when it was good last time it was checked, i still had the problem. i think im gonna get a shift kit soon anyway because i want one...should help too
griftymcgrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well like js said, you can send your computer out or i guess go to him and tune to firm up the shifts and quicken them. but it will wear and tear quicker so routinely checking the fluid is a good idea.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
well like js said, you can send your computer out or i guess go to him and tune to firm up the shifts and quicken them. but it will wear and tear quicker so routinely checking the fluid is a good idea.
but it will wear and tear quicker

the trans works different than that idea < first a shift kit increases pressures in the entire unit and the quicker shifts that happen actually wear the clutch disc's less that a slow stock sliding shift does in a stock unit < also the oil becomes filled with media from all of the parts that wear in a trans so changing the fluid has a cause and effect on the overall performance -- if the unit is not slipping just slow in the way it shifts i would kit it as well it in the long run it will make the trans last longer -- jz
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well i'm more or less referring to the heat that will build up internally significantly reducing the protection from the fluid. but i guess what your saying is true. he wouldn't be beating on it all day. no offense, but a period or two wouldn't kill you!!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
well i'm more or less referring to the heat that will build up internally significantly reducing the protection from the fluid. but i guess what your saying is true. he wouldn't be beating on it all day. no offense, but a period or two wouldn't kill you!!
OK .. the increased pressure also has the cooler speed upped as well .

( BUT ) most of the heat from a trans is from the convertor not the clutches or bands . - jz
Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

quicker shifts = less friction... friction = heat... therefore quicker shifts = lower operating tempature... and we all know that lower operating temps = longer trans life. So weather he is beating on it or not firming the shifts up will only help him..

Also, tuning the computer will help in two ways.. The shifts can be corrected and the engine can be tuned while we are in there for the same price.. Also we can get rid of that pesky torque management and cat over temp protection...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline