Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

NJ Historic registration

Let me first start out by saying NJ DMV BLOWS!

You can no longer go to Trenton to get historic registration. This is good for most people but I was going to go there next week to register my 73 Camaro. Now I have to go to one of the following.

Motor Vehicle Commission
Quote:
Visit local motor vehicle agencies in Eatontown, Flemington, Manahawkin, North Bergen, Runnemede, Somerville, Washington, Salem
Here are some links for the registration process.

Here is the link to the Historic information on the NJ MVC web site

Here is a link to the .pdf of the special Historic registration application form.

Here is a link to a .pdf guide on what they are looking for in the pictures they want of the car.

Last edited by PolarBear; 11-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Let me first start out by saying NJ DMV BLOWS!

You can no longer go to Trenton to get historic registration. This is good for most people but I was going to go there next week to register my 73 Camaro. Now I have to go to one of the following.

Motor Vehicle Commission

I guess I am going to have to do this in Springfield since I dont want to take a day off work to get it done
Flemington, eh? I guess the new MVC building allows for it. Too bad I was a year early and had to deal with the BS in the mail.

And Flemington is open until 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays...
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Flemington, eh? I guess the new MVC building allows for it. Too bad I was a year early and had to deal with the BS in the mail.

And Flemington is open until 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays...
According to the memo the lady at the Lawrenceville office showed me, they have been doing this since 1/1/09 or something like that. You results may have varied though, lol.

Last edited by PolarBear; 08-04-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
According to the memo the lady at the Lawrenceville office showed me, they have been doing this since 1/1/09 or something like that. You results may have varied though, lol.
I went to Flemington for a face-to-face back when they were behind the movie theatre. Maybe they could do it at lawrenceville but not in ftown.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Hmm....

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I went to Flemington for a face-to-face back when they were behind the movie theatre. Maybe they could do it at lawrenceville but not in ftown.
No, Lawrenceville is not one of the places. The memo said the same as above and was dated Jan of last year.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I wonder if you still have to go to Trenton to title a vehicle from out of the country. When I bought the 70 Camaro from Canada I had to get some paperwork from the import/export company showing duties paid or something and they could only issue the title in Trenton. And they wanted it notarized with the Canadian notary!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
PolarBear

Foiled by dmv, twice!

Again, DMV BLOWS. Foiled by them twice! In one day! These peopel dont know what the f is going on and it shows! WHY THE HELL CANT TRENTON JUST TAKE CARE OF THIS!?!?!?!?!?

First of all dont try to use the pictures of Al's car in his for sale thread they are the wrong angles, lol. I couldnt get into my computer remotely while I was at work so I figured I would improvise.

OK so I go to Springfield DMV because it is close to where I am working that day. The lady at the counter screwed up my titles, now that I am home I realize this. It wont matter though, I told the lady my mileages were NOT the actual miles and she put actual instead, whatever. So after I get the title I go to the other line and they told me the pictures have to dead front and dead side, no angle in the picture at all. You would think that it is the end of the world that the pictures have slight angles on them. W T F

So I got home and printed new pictures of my car from the side and from the front and took them over to Ringoes DMV. BIG MISTAKE! I get there and they proceed to tell me that the pictures have to be on glossy photograph paper. It says NOTHING about this online or on the Historic registration form.
This is the part that gets me ANGRY, the lady then proceeds to tell me that I have the WRONG FRONT END ON THE CAR. She said that there are supposed to be lights next to the headlights (the RS front end) and that, if I had pictures on glossy photograph paper, that she would have to "look up" online to make sure that front end was available on that car. I asked where she was going to look to find that out and she said she would "google" it. I wanted to jump over the counter and punch her in her fat face. HOW THE F CAN THEY TELL ME IT IS THE WRONG FRONT END!?!?!?!

I am going to go back to Springfield again tomorrow and see if they will do it because they didnt seem to know or say anything about the photo paper being "necessary". I had actually wound up speaking with one of the supervisors at Springfield and he said if I brought the correct shots they would have been able to process the papers.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
WiMiMc

Quote:
NJ DMV BLOWS!

tell me about it. to register my camaro they had me doing runs home and back about 4 times. i wouldnt tell someone everything they needed to know.

oh and i returned plates that were registered to the car for a day, not exaggerating. and they said i cant get a refund bc of bolt holes?

NJ DMV can suck it
WiMiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
PolarBear

Went back to Springfield today with correct angle shots and got the plates no problem. I did have a scare for a second, the lady behind the counter was going to make me fill out another regular reg form because she thought the historic one didnt ask for the insurance info but it was there and she just missed it. She said to go fill out a regular one and when I asked why she said because of the insurance, so I point it out very nicely because she was actually being helpful.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
jin1481

Getting my Vette done wasn't that bad. I went to the DMV in Washington Township just to be told to go to Runnemede. Got to Runnemede and 1. they didn't have any historic plates in and 2. i had two side pics instead of one front and one side. Left them my number and they called me later that day, i went back the next day with the right photos, on glossy paper, everything was going fine until she said it looked i paid an extra 10k on my car because i was a dumb ass wrote a dollar sign in front of the sale amount. Then i showed her the sale agreement between me and the guy and she still wasn't going to take that with out being notarized until i pleaded with her and she got it approved by her manager. While i was there a guy showed up to register a blue '75 Stingray and i tried to make small talk. He had a front pic with the hood up and was showed my pictures and told that they needed to be just like that, He gave me a dirty look and said some mean things to the DMV lady and left.
1991 RS TBI M5 - Sold
1975 Stingray M4 - New Toy
2008 Impreza 2.5i M5 DD
jin1481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
TAdan

I just got QQ's for my 84. I did it by mail and it was easy as could be.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #14
Tale128

just so everyone up north knows, Randolf DMV does the historic plates as well, last time I went it went off without a hitch going to take the vet to get them in a few weeks (1986 YES) Ill repost with my experiance
Tale128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
PolarBear

Added links for the NJ MVC site for the application and guide
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
greenformula92

might be able to go to eatontown too....thats a pretty main hub, but i guess thats more south central

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
band77one
15 Second Club

whats the difference between standard plates and courtesy plates?
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
PolarBear

I THINK courtesy plates means that you can get several customized plates for ALL your cars. So if you have a special name or word they issue another plate to you with a -1, -2 in tiny lettering next to the name. Standard historic would be QQ12345 etc.

Last edited by PolarBear; 06-29-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdan View Post
I just got QQ's for my 84. I did it by mail and it was easy as could be.
wish i could..i have too much mileage =(
Phoenixfire1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfire1989 View Post
wish i could..i have too much mileage =(
I dont see the relevance of your statement to the other post. QQ doesnt matter what mileage the vehicle has

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation