Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Twin turbo LS1 64 Chevelle teaser

I hope Jody doesn't get mad about me posting these pictures, but he just posted them over at Camaros.net so I doubt it. Gotta love the full frame cars! I think he said the injectors and fuel rails are on the inside of the runners to clean things up. He's not sure how he's going to mount the coils yet.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Gee, another low buck build. Honestly, I'm sick of all those guys and their bottomless wallet projects. Like that one guy Swynjunhasababa Patel, or SW, or whatever he is called. Everytime you'd open a car mag a while back you'd see another of his megabux cars. Then another. Then another. Then the guy had the balls to go on PT.Com and ask opinions of what he should get built next. That ain't the real world in my opinion. Letz hear the stories about the guys working 2 or 3 jobs, or living at work for the OT to afford a decent project.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

couldn't agree more bob.

not gonna say that these big buck cars aren't beautiful, just not as interesting as most of the cars built by privateers that i see at shows. not having a budget seems to bring out the best in engineering and improv to make things work or look cool instead of just opening whatever catalog and ordering up the latest, shiniest, mega-buck, whatever piece.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
nj96z28

one of the things i want to do b4 i die is very similar to this setup ... only diff is itll be a 70 or a 71 chevelle.... of course id have to win the lotto then find a sucker to build it for me
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
JL8Jeff

But without the megabucks guys having these cars built, a lot of the parts engineered would never make it to the market and the low buck guys would have no chance of ever getting their car done because the parts wouldn't exist. Lets face it, the chances of a regular guy doing something innovative and different before the megabucks guys do is slim to none. What difference does it make who builds a car or has a car built? It could have been a rusted out shell that was getting crushed and is now turned into a great automobile. Without magabucks guys, there would be no such thing as Dominion heads!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

dominian heads were designed and built a way to win races, that is a little different than dropping off a check to foose and picking up a car 6-12 months later.
people who have cars built, i can't give any credit to. writing a check is no automotive achievement.
credit goes to shops and individuals that come up with new ideas, new ways to do things, and more tricking looking parts.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
JL8Jeff

Yeah, but those shops wouldn't exist without the guys writing the checks. And without those shops there wouldn't be the cool, new parts they design. It's just like the classic car dealers that we all hate. They run the prices up trying to make a living but without them buying the cars, most of the cars would never get restored.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

I'm coming out of the AMC world, where there ain't any parts existing, period, rich guys or no rich guys. I know what it is like to make my own poly leaf spring bushings out of a piece of raw poly, forming 'em with a bench grinder and belt sander! And that is for a part that wouldn't have cost a lot if it existed. So, there is no trickle down theory for me.
But I will say that I have a helluva lot more respect for a Jeff H Z28 resto then a megabux G-Machine guy hot rod. 'Cause I know first hand what Jeff H went through to do the car, and a lot of time and sweat were involved, along with bux.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I believe he is bulilding the car himself. I know he is a very knowledgible guy, he is in the car business in some capacity, I forgot how right now. I'm sure he is working sponsor deals, but I don't think that is that bad.

Man, tough crowd. To me expensive cars are like Playboy centerfolds. Only rich men can afford them. But I still like to look at them.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Yeah, but those shops wouldn't exist without the guys writing the checks. And without those shops there wouldn't be the cool, new parts they design. It's just like the classic car dealers that we all hate. They run the prices up trying to make a living but without them buying the cars, most of the cars would never get restored.
without rich guys writing checks, it would just be left to the race teams to make parts. no biggie, that is where most of the functional innovation that all the overpriced custom shop stake credit for came from anyway.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Quote:
Lets face it, the chances of a regular guy doing something innovative and different before the megabucks guys do is slim to none.
Its not the megabucks guys vs. the DIY guys IMO. Its the individual. If one person has vision, attention to detail, and style, then I dont really care if its a six figure Foose car or a home built rod. If someone has creativity and vision, then with some time and luck, they move up. Foose didnt start out @ 14 making megabucks rides, he moved up based on his talent, vision, and attention to detail (and some help from dad). I personally like the DIY cars more, but I really appreciate a car that was built with no limitations and the full vision is realized to the best of the designers ability. Its guys like Codington that piss me off. People that build cookie cutter, half assed, crate motor, no creativity interiored, plain exteriored, kit cars, then have the nerve to charge six figure for them. Theres more talent, creativity, dedication, and motivation found in places like OlSkoolRodz.com, and Hotrodders.com than all of Boyd's shop.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Quote:
Yeah, but those shops wouldn't exist without the guys writing the checks. And without those shops there wouldn't be the cool, new parts they design.
I will partially agree with that. There are a few guys out there that spend a lot of time designing parts for other shops and for the public. Jesse James is a good example. WCC produces a lot of the tins found on other companies custom bikes. Even the guys at OCC use a lot of WCC parts.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Its not the megabucks guys vs. the DIY guys IMO. Its the individual. If one person has vision, attention to detail, and style, then I dont really care if its a six figure Foose car or a home built rod. If someone has creativity and vision, then with some time and luck, they move up. Foose didnt start out @ 14 making megabucks rides, he moved up based on his talent, vision, and attention to detail (and some help from dad). I personally like the DIY cars more, but I really appreciate a car that was built with no limitations and the full vision is realized to the best of the designers ability. Its guys like Codington that piss me off. People that build cookie cutter, half assed, crate motor, no creativity interiored, plain exteriored, kit cars, then have the nerve to charge six figure for them. Theres more talent, creativity, dedication, and motivation found in places like OlSkoolRodz.com, and Hotrodders.com than all of Boyd's shop.
+1

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #14
SteveR
I <3 sheep

As per the pics of the car, It looks nice. I see a few issues with it though. First, those tires SUCK. I had them on the Hawk and hated them. The turbo inlets are going to be right up on the radiator so getting a good cold intake charge isnt going to be easy, the outlets are pointing right down on the frame, and the exhaust outlets are going to be right on top of the A-arms and starter.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
Old 12-31-2007, 01:28 AM   #15
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Gee that frame looks familiar. Id like to see some more pics of what they do with the rest of the vehicle.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Kat
11 Second Club

I agree. That is going to be one sick car when it is done.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
JL8Jeff

I think these pictures are a mock up to check the fit of the turbos and headers. No way he would be running the turbos lined up like that. The car is actually the Malitude that was built by Mark Stielow. Jody is redoing the drivetrain and the motor should be capable of 1400 hp but he doesn't plan to run it at full power. He is also a great source to buy slightly used parts from. When he changed direction on the drivetrain, he put up his other turbo header setup for sale at a reduced price and it was all new parts. I personally don't like those tires either.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
First, those tires SUCK. I had them on the Hawk and hated them.
What kind of tires are they?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
I think these pictures are a mock up to check the fit of the turbos and headers. No way he would be running the turbos lined up like that. The car is actually the Malitude that was built by Mark Stielow. Jody is redoing the drivetrain and the motor should be capable of 1400 hp but he doesn't plan to run it at full power. He is also a great source to buy slightly used parts from. When he changed direction on the drivetrain, he put up his other turbo header setup for sale at a reduced price and it was all new parts. I personally don't like those tires either.
I lost all respect for that dude Stielow after his one of his 69 Camaros (I think it was the Thrasher or the Mule, he's done so many 69's). I forget which mag followed the build, but the articles were dripping with attitude and had a very overbearing sorta tone. The only way is his way, blah, blah, blah. The car was built and finished with the goal being to win One Lap of America. Well after it was determined that his original motor didn't have enough balls he put together a new bullet, all aluminum 427 SBC (IIRC) and when he finally hit the track, he proceeded to blow the thing up. That's fine, **** happens, but in the mag all that was mentioned was a small little 4 line blurb in the corner notes. The way I see it, if you are claim to be a top builder and preach down to everyone that will listen, then you better tell the whole story and eat some humble pie every now and then.

**** that dude.....

He'll never top R.J. Gottblieb's Big Red Camaro.....that was the car that started it all......

here's link, scroll to the bottom

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?p=576678

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 01-01-2008 at 11:14 AM.
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
But without the megabucks guys having these cars built, a lot of the parts engineered would never make it to the market and the low buck guys would have no chance of ever getting their car done because the parts wouldn't exist.
Absolutely. You beat me to it. I own some of the parts you are speaking of, and nobody would have come up with this stuff if there wasn't a demand.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I lost all respect for that dude Stielow after his one of his 69 Camaros (I think it was the Thrasher or the Mule, he's done so many 69's).
FWIW, I met Mark on Power Tour and he seemed like an OK guy, at least as much as I could tell in a 10 minute conversation.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #22
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
looks like toyo proxis to me
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #23
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
Yokohama AVS Sports
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #24
SteveR
I <3 sheep

The Chevelle is in the new issue of PHR
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #25
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Some updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
well, bought a new camera so this is catch up from this weekend. Basically, got the carpet done, console in, rear seat, door hardware and mouldings, and since painter Jim was over looking for new scratches............... I had him help me mount the hood.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia