Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #51
BlackTopKing

LOl, I know that I need one or the other to install. I was just saying that I had not made up my mind if I wanted to Install a Roll Bar to do that or a Harness Bar- Seats are in car but I dont even have both harnesses yet either- pluse I am not able to drive it right now anyway.
So i got some time.

I like the harness bar ideal cause I can keep the interior street looking, but I like the roll bar look... I just know that the look will change by adding the roll bars.
Kinda like rims or a hair cut...

I love the Vette rims on 3rd Gens but I dont want that look...
Mo Hawks look cool on lil kids but not shaving my head...

LOL

Problem is I have not seen a 3rd gen let alone a F-Body with a Harness bar, only C4 and C5's
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #52
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTopKing View Post
LOl, I know that I need one or the other to install. I was just saying that I had not made up my mind if I wanted to Install a Roll Bar to do that or a Harness Bar- Seats are in car but I dont even have both harnesses yet either- pluse I am not able to drive it right now anyway.
So i got some time.

I like the harness bar ideal cause I can keep the interior street looking, but I like the roll bar look... I just know that the look will change by adding the roll bars.
Kinda like rims or a hair cut...

I love the Vette rims on 3rd Gens but I dont want that look...
Mo Hawks look cool on lil kids but not shaving my head...

LOL

Problem is I have not seen a 3rd gen let alone a F-Body with a Harness bar, only C4 and C5's
In your case, I'd do a 6pt bar with removable side bars and pro street style rear bars (go through the package tray instead of the rear seat back.

Should look fine.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
BlackTopKing

Not to Ask a Dumb question but I am not sure what you mean threw the package tray and not the back seats...

Defiantly appreciate your input.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #54
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Not to Ask a Dumb question but I am not sure what you mean threw the package tray and not the back seats...

Defiantly appreciate your input.
Thanks
On some of the older cars, the pro street kit puts the rear bars of the roll bar along the roof and down through the package tray/rear deck/speaker area. If you have the regular kit, the rear bars come down on a diagonal through the center of the rear seat back. So you have to delete your rear seats.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #55
BlackTopKing

OK, I see what you are saying and agree completely.

I have thought about the rear seat deletes before, but never really came up with an ideal or found a look that I was willing to do. But now If I consider doing the roll bar set up, I may want to re-consider the rear seat delete. But for the time being I would just opt to leave them in. Its not like, they are used anyway and with the NEW seats- I really don’t like the contrast of materials. Simu leather and Cloth? Just kind of off looking on the inside.

I think I would also like to re-line the door panels with vinal fab as well (shame I re-lined them last year in the cloth).

Has anyone done the rear seat delete and replaced the area with their sound system? I see a lot of people put the boxes and subs in the back ( I have it the same) but I wonder if anyone has moved the Subs up and did a delete that way?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #56
BlackTopKing

Ok So Today I did some searching around and some phone calls about the cage so that I have this option to go with and can factor the cost in as well...

So far best price was an 8point install and complete = $1,100.00 from S&W.

What do you guys think?

I still rather the 6point, but was pressed for time and ask about the 8 point,, I will continue looking and will call again tomorrow.

I wish I had the place and space to just do it on my own but I dont- figured that the cost would be better else were any way but not looking like it so far.

JED sells the 6point kit 169.99 + 100.00 shipping...

SO I guess I have something to think about,
while I am here and calling dose any one have any sugestions on location to call-

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #57
BlackTopKing

Some UpDates

Still doing alot of work and still alot more to do- but it is coming to gether a litlle at a time...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #58
BlackTopKing

if anyone remembers i had a couple post about the gauges and a set up for the TA. well based off the design idea's this is what i ended up finally doing and i mean finally....i have had these gauges for ...what 3-4months now and still not in car...wtf.

either way i got to do a CAD drawing with the measurments and all- pluged it into the cnc (amanda) at my job- and Boom boom boom...

18g Stainless....

perfect fit....and the 4 smaller gauges, check out how close yet how well they fit...i was so proud of myself for this one...

I leveled them out higher so that the extra room (lower) could be used for something else...

Check it out

now i got to fig....do i keep the stainless look and make a piece for the center console and radio brazel to match (maybe other areas as well) or

my orignal idea...which was to mimic the gold look of the 2nd gen trans am's.....maybe a graphic wrap or something else...

only other ideas were to...

Paint Black

Carbon Fiber graphic wrap

not really sure, anythoughts
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #59
NastyEllEssWon

damn i want your car
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #60
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Not bad. Got plans to put a fiberglass spoiler on to get rid of the wrinkled poly one?

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #61
BlackTopKing

deadtrend1:

I have been on a hunt for one for the longest...Just not willing to pay the 300-400 price tag and everything i find one in my range- i either dont have the cash or i am late and it sold before i got off of work...LOL

There is a kid on here that has the mecham spoiler i want- but he is like 2+ hours away from me and I keep meaning to see if he still has it...but then again. Time and Money...I need both at the SAME TIME....LOL

I still really like to swap a 2nd gen spoiler on it...but thats just idea's untill i get there...

NastyEllEssWon:
Well, thank you very much- best complaiment i could ask for.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #62
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
deadtrend1:

I have been on a hunt for one for the longest...Just not willing to pay the 300-400 price tag and everything i find one in my range- i either dont have the cash or i am late and it sold before i got off of work...LOL
I hear you, but its worth it. Even the weight difference is amazing. It doesn't smash the hatch on your head if you have weak struts, just may take your chin off when you open it.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #63
BlackTopKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
I hear you, but its worth it. Even the weight difference is amazing. It doesn't smash the hatch on your head if you have weak struts, just may take your chin off when you open it.
I know! i thought about just lifting the hatch for a daily work out and skip the dips...LOL
Thing is heavy and I put new struts on the back- died in like a year! guess they were cheapies or something, but i am not buy new ones each year!

so i figured that once i get a better spoiler on there i will get struts and hope they last 2 years
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #64
BlackTopKing

So I dont know what got into me today, but a sudden change in heart...

I got up like 6am and went to the store got sand paper and a couple of wire wheels.
Next thing I know....

MyGTA rims (black centers with the gold lip) are no-more...

I got 3 out of the 4 done before the heat and then sudden down pour tired me out.
So hopefully after work Tuesday I can finish the fourth wheel.

Why and what am i gonna do!

Well i am still on the hunt for my corvette rims ( 17x 18 for sure but maybe 18 x 19 combo)
so i guess in the mean time- i am just gonna have some fun and try something else.

When i did the gold lip- i was like oh no....after a while i was like- they are ok...once i did the bird tho- it was like YES....
now that they are back to bare lips....Ewwwww- dont like them at all.

but reason to ryme is i am gonna strip, power coat black centers- with black lip and a 1/4" gold (matched) pin stripe.

if i could photo shope i would but i think it'll be nice....
but we see- willpost pics once done
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #65
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

cool, awesome, if you get a chance, can you PM me a few photos of your seats and interior around the seats, and info on model, price, and materiel of the front seats? car looks bad-ass man. cool!

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #66
BlackTopKing

7-1-2010

7-1-2010

Well this is the update of 6/26 weekend of heat and Trans Am's.

Did a ton of things, most little but the effect was great.

Biggest change was the rims. I ended up going with the Black Center-Black Lip and gold pinstrip.

Not gonna post all the DIY, but is short I removed all four tires and took the rims all the way to bare metal...Whoa!!! what a pain but way worth the look- I realise the paint will only add to the work the next time i change my mind- so hopefully i just get my Vett 10spokes before then...LOL

I will also like to note: this time- no rattle and tons of clear

Before....

Jet Black

full pic with rims on...just to see how it looked..

JetBlack with pinstrip

this pic shows just paint...no clear at this time!

After this point once i saw the first rim with the pinstrip effect i went all out...even wet sand and buff...although the Black had a nice gloss from the bare metal coming threw and the thriple thick clear coat really made a nice reflection- after wet sanding and buffing them out...i could see me! and the rims currently shine better then the rest of the car...so I will be waxing the TA this weekend something seriouse.

Next was the Rear hatch...wash,vac and re-painted all the panels...all of them, this time! again no rattle and clear...nice shine i think

lol

Next Engine bay!!! had some time and money- so i started and have been little by little working on getting it better- not completely there but i pulled all the loom off- re loomed (black and some red) organized the wiring much better and re-routed most- I also clean up alot. Not done but big improvement for the lil time i have had in it so far...really want the heater hoses off the motor along with the ss lines...but another time.
before

after

Red white and blueberry fest....

And some today...pics...

over all, i am happy with the turn out!
Now on to the next

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 07-02-2010 at 01:57 AM.
BlackTopKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #67
BlackTopKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87IROCmadman View Post
cool, awesome, if you get a chance, can you PM me a few photos of your seats and interior around the seats, and info on model, price, and materiel of the front seats? car looks bad-ass man. cool!
Did you ever get my email??
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #68
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

actually, i checked and re-checked my in and old mail box, id dint see any email. i like the way the seats look tho! try sending it to martin.dave3@gmail.com

i like what u did with the gold pinstripe on the wheels, because i think the black would be too much, the pinstripe pulls the wheel off well.

also the same color wire looming loos good. more of a theme to it rather than multicolored. lookin good

yea no rush, but if u get a chance, send info on the seats to the above email, or PM it to me. no rush, this is an upcoming winter project

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #69
Flippindabird

Thumbs up

dam man when i talked to you i didnt know you were so talented, car looks great the scooped hood is mean looking and very unique, now how much would you charge to airbrush me a silver bird on my hood?? my theme is blue and silver lol

Last edited by Flippindabird; 07-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Flippindabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #70
BlackTopKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippindabird View Post
dam man when i talked to you i didnt know you were so talented, car looks great the scooped hood is mean looking and very unique, now how much would you charge to airbrush me a silver bird on my hood?? my theme is blue and silver lol
Hey what is going with you? ope all is well...

Thanks you for the words on my car and my self.
I have tryed to do both- makeit look good and different at the same time.

I will send a PM
Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #71
_87TA_

Anything new with the roll cage?
And aother +1 on the car
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #72
BlackTopKing

Thanks, man.

I have to say I have done a massive amount of work on that car in the last month- most is touch up clean up stuff- like the interior and rims shown above.
Last week I replaced the floor pans and did a full undercarriage over haul- Ripped out a bunch of stuff-
if it was good i cleaned it up to bare metal and repainted it...
New fuel lines and brake lines
Suspention stuff re did-
Undercoated the crap out of it too-front to back- even droped the tank to get everything.

Hoestly wasnt completely needed but i have been sitting on so much for so long- just got tired of waiting.

plus most of everyhing i am parting with anyway! kind of wanted to use what i got- like i have brand new sway bars i got off a camaro dirt car! - put them on too...lol

I also ripped the front interior out I got a 4th gen console, finally a month ago- havent put it in yet!!! so i figured i had to strip to do floors ( which was a pain! and a mess!, but glad i did and am super happy with out come)
I did a ryno lining of the interior floors from fire wall seem to rear seam (at start of hump)
got new rug- dont know if ill put it in now- rynoliner looks cool as hell as the floor.
I re organized and routed all interior wiring-super clean super neat.

all i got to do now is re install interior.

I am stumped on the console though, not sure how i want to do switches (windows and assy)
-i got a 93 which fits perfict, got a new radio pod (one i have had for ever too).

Roll cage.... hummm, oh how i do want to do that!
I got stuck with both time and money and put car on back burner for a while- i want to put in subframes and a rollcage at once now- i saw a set up on a car in NC were they were mated- in the rearseat area-center bar across the floor- pretty sweet looking- i dont have the power to need it so i figure ill add once i get caged....

I just got a new welder- I sold one of the two migs only for the second to fry up on me about 3months.

so now i guess i need pipe...

I got a killer deal in NY for one and figured i take the TA up next time i went...but havent and probly wont be able to for some time...

so now that i have over answered your question and updated my thread at the same time ...

Trans Am ToDo List.

Finish-Interior
*Deside on 4thGen doors panels-Speaker rerouting
*RollCage-Custom Fiberglass Rear seat delete to move system from hatch to behind front seats.
*Fab a Nos mount to fit the 4th gen console to the rear seat delete.
*Do something with hatch & headliner....not sure- like to fiberglass both solid

Exterior
*Clear Side markers
*Tint Tail Lights
*New Spoiler Design-non Trans Am, thinking Vette style
*Fix Hood Repaint for now-may try the camaro vented side skirts swap

Engine
*Remote Battery Set up.
*New cold air intake design
*Custom Covers
*Exhaust-still want my side pipes- been looking at the gibson mustang set ups as a format to go off of....

And For this post- that is it!

Any thing wild up my sleeve.
Airbrushing the sides of the Trans Am with a wicked sick design
Functional butterfly inside the prostreet scoop-just for looks.
LOL
but we will see

i just need to learn how to fab emblems andi be good as gold
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #73
BlackTopKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippindabird View Post
I sent Pm with details.

hve done the bird 4x now and got it down pack, each time better than mine...guess ill have to atleast do mine agian for perfection
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #74
BlackTopKing

So- stress….
So what to do?

Me I do anything else…lol, really though I needed a break from all that is going on so I deside to do some arts and crafts time…
Got 4th gen console-used Auto…?
1. Its all I had
2. Just to be different

4th Gen top console-Auto Style, Basically what I started with.

Removed the Trans Control-section, mapped it out- to make a switch location (window)

Made a Plexi glass piece to use for mounting

Then with a fine brush- painted on a lil bandit guy- so that the blue LED’s will Illuminate threw…

Flash makes pics look bad- but you get the ideal- painted gold and assemble

Test fit- console top Jet Balck and Cleared

Remove cross bars and insert boot

This is what it would look like….

Had I only been able t leave it alone….but I cant…want more?

Desides to change the layout- want shifter up front and to pull console back and up- for a more dramatic flow.
Cut out remaining from mounts:

Make a template-ABS Plastic- cut to fit the gap and clean the console

Plastic Weld- and smoothed it out

Old trick…Melted it down- fill it in and plast it out….ohhhh

Also note- added top bar across

Now I am not the best airbrush in the world and I sure don’t like lil things…..but lets have some fun

Spectrum White-base, Charcol n jet blacks outline, shadow n small details-Metalic Gold on top!-
Jet black on top (center of console out)-two shots of clear…could of did another, but figured not to incase I want to change it later-

Later today ill post pic of it in car
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #75
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

That looks badass!

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance