Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
WSex

24 hours of lemons

5 stupid guys and alcohol one night at the bar led to a lemons race team 2 weeks before entry deadline. got accepted and fees have been paid so no turning back. had an 87 325is bmw laying around so yesterday me and a friend stripped it all down. just ordered the cage, brakes, and plugs. the car had some rust so already got a plate to cover up the flinstone holes.

looking for an appropriate seat
2 way hands free radio
good deal on tires
sponsors???

will be racing may 9th at njmp and hopefully chumpcar at limerock park.
i know some members created a team in the past so and advice is appreciated.
if you come to troll i appreciate that aswell.
pics in a few minutes
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
WSex

Last edited by WSex; 03-23-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Perfect. What is the theme?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Perfect. What is the theme?
we dont know yet. but the team name is rust in peace. pretty tacky. wish i could change
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

1. Why didn't you use an fbody, mainly our lemon fbody?

B. You've made it further than us, congrats!

In closing, your inspection is overdue!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Nice!

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

THAT'S a little bit of rust!?!

Good on you guys. Coors Light was a nice touch

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
xrelapse13

Believe I'm entered as well. (Wasn't in charge of registration)

2000 ws6
xrelapse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I'll see ya there then. I'm with a team based out of Rockaway NJ. We began our build in January. It has come a LONG way. We are building a mid 90's Nissan 240sx. Already replaced the dead engine and transmission with ones from a better car. All sorts of work to get it running but it does. Ran all new fuel lines, brake lines, pulley setups, big radiator with two huge puller fans, heat extractor vents in the hood, and air intake vents to cool the brakes, our roll cage kit arrives this week and we start installing that on saturday. We went with a corbeau seat and still have to install it and make our own mount/slider setup.

I decided to only be a crew member and not a driver as my budget does not allow at this time. Even though we started two months ago, it is pretty astounding the amount of $ its taking to get the project race ready. Im shocked at the thousands of dollars the main team members are putting into this project. So I just wrench on the car and will be there at NJMP in may to do the same. FYI, you will need to buy proper fire suit and helmet if you dont already own one.

The main team members came up with the theme for our car and it is pretty catchy. The Inspector Gadget mobile. We have to make our own rear window louvers and other items but we do have a powerful PA speaker setup to be playing the inspector gadget theme song WHILE RACING on the course. It might get annoying after the first few hours though.

Good luck with the build. See ya there. Feel free to bounce any questions you have my way if need be.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 03-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #10
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Sounds like a cool theme. Good luck! We fell short on time and funding but would have been cool to see it through.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
I'll see ya there then. I'm with a team based out of Rockaway NJ. We began our build in January. It has come a LONG way. We are building a mid 90's Nissan 240sx. Already replaced the dead engine and transmission with ones from a better car. All sorts of work to get it running but it does. Ran all new fuel lines, brake lines, pulley setups, big radiator with two huge puller fans, heat extractor vents in the hood, and air intake vents to cool the brakes, our roll cage kit arrives this week and we start installing that on saturday. We went with a corbeau seat and still have to install it and make our own mount/slider setup.

I decided to only be a crew member and not a driver as my budget does not allow at this time. Even though we started two months ago, it is pretty astounding the amount of $ its taking to get the project race ready. Im shocked at the thousands of dollars the main team members are putting into this project. So I just wrench on the car and will be there at NJMP in may to do the same. FYI, you will need to buy proper fire suit and helmet if you dont already own one.

The main team members came up with the theme for our car and it is pretty catchy. The Inspector Gadget mobile. We have to make our own rear window louvers and other items but we do have a powerful PA speaker setup to be playing the inspector gadget theme song WHILE RACING on the course. It might get annoying after the first few hours though.

Good luck with the build. See ya there. Feel free to bounce any questions you have my way if need be.
Interesting. Can't wait to see it. Believe it or not this BMW is running strong and only paid 500(I swear). But we are only 800 for 4 people and the 5th guy is at 300 bc he is doing the labor. (Minus the fire suits.)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
RiggsLW81

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
we dont know yet. but the team name is rust in peace. pretty tacky. wish i could change
Rust In Peace is the greatest Megadeth album... period. its a perfect thrashterpiece. i think the name is badass.

Another trip inside the acid bath..no salvation and the grave is coming fast..
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
WSex

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9JW...p=docslist_api

So cage is almost done. Need to mount seat and weld on muffler. for paint this is after I hit it with a pressure washer. Now going to paint strip it let it surface rust and brush on a coat of used oil. Less than a month for the race
Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #14
Artful Dodger

Good luck!
http://www.southjerseycamaro.com
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

I have seen a lot of things on this site, but a video uploaded to Google Docs is an absolutely savage move. It's 2015; Discover YouTube, you barbarian!

But that thing actually sounds beefy. I was expecting worse, all around. Nice!

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #16
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
I have seen a lot of things on this site, but a video uploaded to Google Docs is an absolutely savage move. It's 2015; Discover YouTube, you barbarian!

But that thing actually sounds beefy. I was expecting worse, all around. Nice!
Lol I did to drive over my phone and copied the link. Was the easiest lol
Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #17
IROCZman15

Awesome! I am pumped for the event! are you doing a theme car or just running it as is? The team I am a part of is progressing along really well, but we have a LOT of work to do in the next 3 weeks prior to the race. I don't think the team wants me to post any photos of the car online until the event happens, so I won't. It has come a LONG way since January. as it is we are still fitting roll cage bars, sorting out vacuum lines, and a whole assortment of electronics.. but it does run! we plan on getting there early Friday for the test session to work out the kinks. glad to see your team is getting ready for the race in just 3 weeks.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #18
omarcamaro
12 Second Club

What is the 24 hours of Lemons?
Where is it held?

67 Camaro RS
70 Camaro RS
95 Camaro Z28
omarcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
WSex

The event will be may 9th and 10th. It won't be a 24 hour race but about 8 hours each day.

The car already has a nice coat of surface rust. But will let it sit another week before I coat it with burnt oil.

We are trying to do a flying grim reaper on the roof.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #20
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcamaro View Post
What is the 24 hours of Lemons?
Its a race that was invented by a bunch of guys to amuse themselves on basically no budget. The rules are simple, safety equipment you are encouraged to spend all that you can afford, the car......not so much. The goal is to have a car that if you pulled the safety stuff, wheels and tires, and allowable brake upgrades you couldn't get more than $500 for. Obviously this gets ignored if someone comes up with something creative or amusing, like the upside down Camaro, but the idea is still just to have fun. After getting covered by a few magaizines it went from a group of friends to a national thing with a bunch of events and even spawned a copycat/spin off series called Chump Car that is actually a national series with a points championship and everything based on the same concept of fun above cost.

Last edited by NJSPEEDER; 04-24-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
IROCZman15

Tim nailed it right on the head with his above writeup. This will be our teams first race/event so we are in total thrash mode the next few weeks. Full weekend of wrenching for most of the guys on my team this weekend. I'm actually heading to the garage in about 2 hours to assist. Again, I don't want to reveal too many details on the car/project yet, but we have the cage 95% in, car "painted", engine running (a few leaks to contend with), exhaust run, seat installed, brakes, wheels tires, brake ducts setup, fuel system plumbed and tested, cooling system setup (need new water pump), etc. A lot of the next stuff these two weeks involves wiring EVERYTHING, tuning the engine better, testing that the transmission even works, sorting out kinks, grabbing a full trailer and loading up all the gear/tools/ car, etc totally a fun project, but not as much with the deadline only 2 weeks away.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

If you guys have fun doing the single event look into the Chump Car series events. They allow single event entries as well and last I looked hit a few different east coast tracks.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
If you guys have fun doing the single event look into the Chump Car series events. They allow single event entries as well and last I looked hit a few different east coast tracks.
yes especially lime rock
Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #24
IROCZman15

yup, I'm prety sure we plan to participate at 3-4 events this year (in total... LeMons and Chump car combined) Limerock being one of them..

man, the event is only 5 days away! Our car is basically ready. Had to sort out a LOT of last moment items on the car. Also picked up a trailer and had to do a bunch of work on it too. The team spent a few hours doing test-runs of getting in and out of the car while simulating an emergency with full suit/helmet/harness on this weekend so that was good. We will be going down Thursday afternoon and spending all Friday doing the test day and registration processes. Then racing as much as the car will survive through saturday and sunday. If anyone is going to this, come swing by our area if you feel like it. we will have the Inspector Gadget themed car. I'll be looking to stop by and visit with the Rust In Peace guys too.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-04-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Good luck, have fun, and take lots of pics.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects