Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
V
Stalker

ls3 ecm running an ls1/6?

Basic question... Can an LS3 ecm (2010/2011) run an ls1/6 engine?
I know the reluctor wheel on the crank would need to be swapped out for a 58x instead of the stock 24x, but other than that, would it work? Obviously the wiring harness would be custom.

The reason I ask, is I'm thinking of doing a LS swap into a 2010 vehicle and to be "legal" it has to be an engine of the same or newer year. I have an LS1 /T56 from my GTO I could use and figured if I could run a 2010 ecm with the applicable emissions equipment from a 2010 ls3, I might make it all work. If its just not possible/feasible, id look into selling the ls1 and buying a newer LT1 and making that work somehow(or buy a different donor car maybe).

Edit: The more I think about it, it may not even matter. If nj dmv asks for evidence that its a 2010 engine, it'd still be an 04 paperwork wise. Im not sure if just a '10 ecm running the corresponding emissions equipment would suffice.

I'm almost wondering if Just using the stock 04 pcm, and having the vin re-flashed to match the car would pass inspection

Last edited by V; 12-02-2021 at 07:08 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
V
Stalker

After a little more research, it seems I would need a newer pcm anyway which has the gm LAN wiring, high and low speed. That way the bcm can talk to it. So a 08+ ls3 pcm should work. I'd probably just find a 2010 to match the car. Would need a dbw tb then as well which is ok. Maybe I'll just start pricing out a ls3 dropout.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

AFAIK the GEN IV stuff only works with GEN IV stuff. The cam and crank reluctors are different tooth count. LPE used to make a box to covert the GENIV engine to work in a GEN III ECM, IIRC, but not the other way
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning