Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Hagerty has an explicit racing related endorsement added to their policies that spells out you are covered on the way to the track in the pits and even the staging lanes but you are not covered on the track itself.

You can buy one day racing policies, search the web, maybe the scca site

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 01-09-2016 at 12:36 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Here's a copy of the NJ Competition Exclusion they sent me. Just to go on the record.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CompetitionExclusionNJ.pdf (25.8 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-09-2016 at 02:47 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #28
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I just want a agreed value policy, pretty much all I am looking for.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #29
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

EDIT: man, last time I read this was a few days ago before anyone mentioned ACI, so I just clicked reply instead of checking for the updates and looks like a few of you guys already covered ACI.

my original post was this... but you don't need to read it if you don't want to.

"American Collectors Insurance" based out of cherry hill.

I have had my car insured with them for 6or7 years now. They do an "agreed value" type policy, so I gave them the $ amount I wanted the car insured for and they just asked for a bunch of photos, a somewhat detailed list of parts and modifications and they wrote up the policy. I think I pay right around $410 per year for the car, which is insured in the neighborhood of $20,000 with a $1,000 deductible. I've put way more $ into the car than that, but as we know, the car value is not the sum of all of its parts.

They require the car to be garage kept in a solid structured garage (no tent type setups) and not be a primary/daily driver. I don't quite remember their EXACT policy about racing, but I do know that they don't ensure you for actually racing the car (as mentioned above haggerty might cover you in the staging lanes or pits..but.. I'm not sure how American Collectors worded theirs). At the time I got my policy I was mostly just cruising and doing car shows.

I have been fortunate that I've never had an incident where I needed to call them to file a claim so I can't speak to any of that aspect. I know for sure that a several other members on this board use this company too, as speaking to them on the forums is how I actually came to find out about American Collectors.

http://americancollectors.com/

WildBillyT or whomever else may know... So after reading the document you posted above, it clearly says that they don't cover you or the car or any personal injury sustained while actively racing or qualifying, or prepping the car.. which I totally understand, but it doesn't spell out if they cancel the policy for good, or "can" you, or if there are any penalties if you do race for a few hours. If it's just that they wont cover you for any claim you make, then from how I read it, you just have to take the risk if you do race that you will own any damage/injury yourself. but then as soon as you get the vehicle back onto a public roadway... your policy i back in full swing. Sound right ? (for ACI specifically).

Last edited by IROCZman15; 02-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #30
Artful Dodger

I haven't tried them, but I've heard good things about them... Local company in NJ! They have a Collector Camaro category under muscle cars

http://www.condonskelly.com/
http://www.southjerseycamaro.com

Last edited by Artful Dodger; 01-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #31
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
EDIT: man, last time I read this was a few days ago bfore anyone mentioned ACI, so I just clicked reply instead of checking for the updates and looks like a few of you guys already covered ACI.

my original post was this... but you don't need to read it if you don't want to.

"American Collectors Insurance" based out of cherry hill.

I have had my car insured with them for 6or7 years now. They do an "agreed value" type policy, so I gave them the $ amount I wanted the car insured for and they just asked for a bunch of photos, a somewhat detailed list of parts and modifications and they wrote up the policy. I think I pay right around $410 per year for the car, which is insured in the neighborhood of $20,000 with a $1,000 deductible. I've put way more $ into the car than that, but as we know, the car value is not the sum of all of its parts.

They require the car to be garage kept in a solid structured garage (no tent type setups) and not be a primary/daily driver. I don't quite remember their EXACT policy about racing, but I do know that they don't ensure you for actually racing the car (as mentioned above haggerty might cover you in the staging lanes or pits..but.. I'm not sure how American Collectors worded theirs). At the time I got my policy I was mostly just curising and doing car shows, but now I definitely plan on getting into more racing, auto-x and road course type events, so I'll have to examine that or give them a call.

I have been fortunate that I've never had an incident where I needed to call them to file a claim so I can't speak to any of that aspect. I know for sure that a several other members on this board use this company too, as speaking to them on the forums is how I actually came to find out about American Collectors.

http://americancollectors.com/

WildBillyT or whomever else may know... So after reading the document you posted above, it clearly says that they don't cover you or the car or any personal injury sustained while actively racing or qualifying, or prepping the car.. which I totally understand, but it doesn't spell out if they cancel the policy for good, or "can" you, or if there are any penalties if you do race for a few hours. If it's just that they wont cover you for any claim you make, then from how I read it, you just have to take the risk if you do race that you will own any damage/injury yourself. but then as soon as you get the vehicle back onto a public roadway... your policy i back in full swing. Sound right ? (for ACI specifically).
- Another question I've been curious about and I actually pulled out my aper copy of my policy.. is whether or not they insure cars that run nitrous oxide setups. Many years ago when i was deciding between insurance carriers, I thought I read somewhere on some piece of paper that ACI would not insure any vehicle with nitrous. Now after reading my policy and other paperwork I can't find anything about allowing/disallowing nitrous kits with ACI. Before I go and call them up to ask, does anyone here remember this being so?
To be honest I don't feel comfortable answering that. I think that's a question for a company rep to answer.

If I had to guess I'd say they just don't cover you during competition/wherever the sheet says you are excluded- not that they cancel you. But I am not the authority on it.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #32
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I haven't tried them, but I've heard good things about them... Local company in NJ! They have a Collector Camaro category under muscle cars

http://www.condonskelly.com/
Thanks! So far for 25k declared value, they are the cheapest with ~30 buck a month.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
To be honest I don't feel comfortable answering that. I think that's a question for a company rep to answer.

If I had to guess I'd say they just don't cover you during competition/wherever the sheet says you are excluded- not that they cancel you. But I am not the authority on it.
My gut is they would deny a claim for damage occurring during an excluded activity, as per your policy language. They may or may not choose to non-renew you but I don't think they'd cancel you unless you are committing fraud - like lying about when damage really occurred. I don't know the NJ laws about auto cancellations but there are related regulations.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #34
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
My gut is they would deny a claim for damage occurring during an excluded activity, as per your policy language. They may or may not choose to non-renew you but I don't think they'd cancel you unless you are committing fraud - like lying about when damage really occurred. I don't know the NJ laws about auto cancellations but there are related regulations.
Regulators. We regulate any crashin' of your property and we’re damn good too. But you can’t be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with twisted steel, if you know what I mean — earn your keep. Regulators, mount up!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #35
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Seems I'm getting hosed by Hagerty lol.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #36
IROCZman15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Regulators. We regulate any crashin' of your property and we’re damn good too. But you can’t be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with twisted steel, if you know what I mean — earn your keep. Regulators, mount up!

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

yea, maybe I'll give them a call just to clear up a few of my questions. Or send an email, so I have their responses in writing.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
IROCZman15

welp, so this may help a few people out. I decided to call up ACI and ask about what happens if one were to race their insured car or use it at a timed-event. They told me that racing a car that is insured by them would instantly void the policy. So it appears that while other classic insurance carriers may just not cover you for damage incurred during the event, ACI totally does not allow racing of any type, and doing so will cause the policy to be voided and not able to be renewed or reactivated.

As for nitrous systems on an insured car, they only allow it on a "case by case basis", such as for show cars or non-race type cars. They will require photos of the system and then will determine if they will insure the car or not. Superchargers and turbocharger systems are ok, I was told.

These were not the answers I wanted to hear, especially the one about racing. I myself will have to seriously think about what to do and where to go with the insurance in the future. If someone else wants to call them and see if you get the same answers feel free. I don't feel like changing insurance companies, but now that my cars path is to be more than a cruiser, I was really hoping to try some test/tune sessions or an autocross event.... now, I really don't know what to do.

Hope this helps clear up anyone's thoughts on American Collectors Insurance.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #38
TaKid455

Regarding ACI & racing, go back and read my post.

The other companies charge more but do tolerate racing. If you are more cruiser than not, I'd take ACI and wing the exhibition events. When the car/ you become for serious in those events, switch carriers.

Last edited by TaKid455; 01-12-2016 at 08:24 PM.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #39
6spdg37s

i had american collectors on my c5 z06. When I sold that I ended the policy. I just purchased another policy with them today guaranteed value on my 01 SS.

My understanding of car insurance is if you crash racing (street or on the track) there not covering you either way.

You can purchase supplemental racing insurance thru another company I believe.

To be honest you are probably safer drag racing on a track than driving down the street on a public road with all the ******** that can't drive, are texting, drunk, high whatever.
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #40
LTb1ow

Bumping this up, never followed though last year and really have decided to do this.

Grundy is quoting me at three times less than Hagerty, with the same coverage numbers.

Final thoughts before trigger is pulled?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #41
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Go Grundy

Old 11-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #42
edpontiac91

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Seems I'm getting hosed by Hagerty lol.
I have had Grundy for almost 20 years and their rate was ALWAYS the cheapest. When I looked at Hagerty last year (just for kicks) they were WAY MORE expensive than what I had. Even looking back, I always had $20,000 on the Formula and when it came time to put it to rest (totaled) they paid that amount with out a single quibble. Highly recommend them!

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #43
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I'm going to estimate I was a bit honest with the HP which dictated the higher rate.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #44
LTb1ow

Hagerty denied me, so we shall see how Grundy does.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge