Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
PDubs87Z28

Need a tune up....any thoughts?

I gotta do a complete tune up. whats the best **** to go with on the ****box 305 4bbl. I just want it to run better than now and i know it needs a tune up because the jack ass kid i bought the car from did accel wires/plugs NO cap/rotor and what was done 3 years ago and i've put 12,000 miles on since july 04 when i got it on the road.

And another thing. I need to do a torque conv. because mine is shot too. what do you think i should get? and how much (ballpark) would a job like that run because im not ****ing with it!

I got a better paying job then security work and i do less work and won't have to fight people anymore. So more money to the camaro!!!!
Any input would be much appreciated. thanks!

87 Camaro Z28
09 Cobalt XFE
PDubs87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Just get a new set of AC Delco plugs, and if you want good wires, another set of Accels would be good. Standard cap/rotor will also be fine. You may also want to toss in a new air filter as well as a new fuel filter.

If you need a new converter, I would recommend going with a bit higher stall than stock. It will really add some life to the car when leavign from a stop sign. If you don't want anything huge, stick with a 2400-2600 stall. Installing the converter is pretty easy, just time consuming. If you really don't want to do it yourself, just go ask a local shop that you trust how much they would charge you to install it.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
PDubs87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Just get a new set of AC Delco plugs, and if you want good wires, another set of Accels would be good. Standard cap/rotor will also be fine. You may also want to toss in a new air filter as well as a new fuel filter.

If you need a new converter, I would recommend going with a bit higher stall than stock. It will really add some life to the car when leavign from a stop sign. If you don't want anything huge, stick with a 2400-2600 stall. Installing the converter is pretty easy, just time consuming. If you really don't want to do it yourself, just go ask a local shop that you trust how much they would charge you to install it.

- Justin
i was thinking that about the converter but wasn't too sure because its still a POS 305. I was possilby thinking bosch 4 tip plugs but they're a good chunk of change. I put them on my fathers van and he even says thats they are great and i did the tune up 3 years ago to it and it still runs smooth with 200,000+ miles. BUT i also was told that the tips sometimes break off. thanks for the tip...im ganna go shopping tomorrow

87 Camaro Z28
09 Cobalt XFE
Old 09-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

305/350/454 it doesn't matter. the cars performance will benefit from a little stall speed increase.
give it a mile TC upgrade as justin suggested and you will feel the car get away from stops better and cut better short times at the track.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
PDubs87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
305/350/454 it doesn't matter. the cars performance will benefit from a little stall speed increase.
give it a mile TC upgrade as justin suggested and you will feel the car get away from stops better and cut better short times at the track.

later
tim
will do

87 Camaro Z28
09 Cobalt XFE

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning