Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

Didnt pass inspection, have a Q...

Ok so I took it to a local garage... they made me wait entirely too long but later on the guy said I have 3 codes. He didnt say what 3 but that if I had 2 he would pass me... so he There was a lot of carbon build up and he told me to go drive it for an hour on the highway (i have a 98 with 26k miles). So i did that, drove like a maniac. Came back and he took it to scan it and then said it still says its not ready. So... he suggest I just come back tuesday or wed which i will and leave the car all day.

Is there anything I can add to my gas tank that will help clean the carbon build up out?

They didnt put a rejected sticker on it or anything, they just told me to come back since i got til Friday and they will do what they have to. Fine by me because I must have messed something up. lol
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

they make fuel injector cleaner which cleans it up a bit. Look for a product called Blaster fuel injector cleaner, its made by the same company that makes PB Blaster, the best stuff in the world. Ive used it many times, it made a big difference in my old Blazer, idle was noticeably smoother after using it.

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
89 Trans Am WS6

That guy is just pulling your strings.

I hope its not a usual family mechanic or something...

Even if it had two codes, or one, or even a half of a code your car would NOT pass NJ state inspection. Being that your car is OBDII it doesnt get run on a dyno or anything like that it just get pluged into the diagnostic connector under the dash and run through the shops computer.

A check engine light on is a automatic fail in the state of nj, regardless of the code behind it. PLEASE remeber that before you go to a shop for inspection..id hate to see you pay money for your car to be inspected and have him slap some fake sticker on your car to cause you trouble down the line.

Also we cant really help you without knowing which 3 codes are set in your pcm..it doesnt have to be your fault so dont go blaming yourself, it could be anyones..even the guy at the pumps who fills your gas tank..

He sent you on the road in hopes of completing the cars drive cycle and completing all the cars readiness monitors..which will enable him to preform the inspection..driving around will hopefully let you complete all the tests so the car can be tested

The only way they are going to be able to fix the problem and inspect it in a day is if they find the problem, correct it, clear the codes and then pass all the readiness tests..and unless they have a bi directional scan tool that will let them do each test as the computer wants to, its gonna take some driving time before the cycle is complete..

Hope i could help

Joe
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 AM   #4
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

He may have been talkign about the PCM/OBD II readiness tests, some of which you need to drive liek 100 miles before it it OK. On those you can't fail more than 2 of them or you fail inspection, but I don't know details... someone like bill (foff667) would know more detail

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
BlueFBird

so if my ses light is on in my 93 they will fail it right away?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

i can scan and delete for you, foff667 has hptuners for 98s so he can delete permanently
Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827
Beater: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Little G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

deleting codes is fun showed that rear o2 whos boss...

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
PDubs87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFBird
No..... From 96 to now, cars need to get plugged in. I still believe that your car needs to run on the dyno. My moms 97 Expedition got plugged in and an idle test done to it.
My 87 Cutlass ran threw inspection with the SES light on and still passed because it was on the dyno and all they did is use the probe in the exhaust pipe to get the readings. I think the 93 would be in the clear.

87 Camaro Z28
09 Cobalt XFE
PDubs87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 AM   #9
BlueFBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDubs87Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFBird
No..... From 96 to now, cars need to get plugged in. I still believe that your car needs to run on the dyno. My moms 97 Expedition got plugged in and an idle test done to it.
My 87 Cutlass ran threw inspection with the SES light on and still passed because it was on the dyno and all they did is use the probe in the exhaust pipe to get the readings. I think the 93 would be in the clear.
k i wasnt sure what they did to 93...thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
coldkilla

hey what do they actually run it on the dyno for? just so they can measure exhaust at wot? are they getting any hp or tq figures? is it that kinda dyno? ****, if they are i wanna know what it is!

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
JerzLT1

emissions dyno is gay it doesnt go to a high speed so nothing is actually accurate
Old 09-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldkilla
hey what do they actually run it on the dyno for? Â*just so they can measure exhaust at wot? Â*are they getting any hp or tq figures? Â*is it that kinda dyno? Â*****, if they are i wanna know what it is!
Dont think its that kind of dyno. lol. I know when I went through inspection the dumbass who did it was enjoying how my car echoed throughout the whole building and decided to play with the throttle a little.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

Hey guys!!! I took it back today and dropped it off (bought a bottle of Guaranteed to pass and drove maybe 50 miles with it on half a tank) and passed today. Cost me 85 and tax. but oh well... i am happy. thanks for the responses.
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning