Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
V
Stalker

stroker rotating assembly..which to buy? $$$ (LS1)

ok, i'm now ready to purchase my rotating assembly for my SS, i just sold my dumptruck and now i have more than enough for it. I dont know whether to go for lunati or callies, I heard callies has had major issues with thei lt1 cranks when used with a supercharger. so that makes me want to go for lunati.

but now i also need to decide on heads since i need to know the cc of them so i can make sure my compression ratio works out to around 8.5:1. If anyone can run the numbers for me in regards to bore, stroke, etc to help me coem up with what i need, let me know. i need to find the piston dish cc.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I've never heard anything bad about lunati. then again, I've never heard anything bad about callies either until just now.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
bitchincamaro

i would call both companies and see what they suggest for your application. they are both well known companies, so chances are they are not going to sell you junk. i would also call a few speed shops or engine builders to see what they suggest. i like to shop around, especially when it comes to spending a few grand. no ones word is going to be as good as someone who has dealt with both products,or deals with them everyday.
bitchincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

AFAIK, Lunati was one of the first companies to come out w/ aftermarket rotating assys. for the LS series engines. So, they have been at it a 'lil while...

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

From what I had read the problem with callies cranks failures was suppose to have been caused by improperly fitting hubs. Apparently the Callies crank design caused the hub not to seat completely on the snout. The side load from the SC resulted in eventual failure. but I understand that was happening with big SCs making high boost. What was needed was for the hub to be test fitted and if needed the rear of the hub beveled so the hub would fit flush.

I'm running the Callies Stealth crank. I know of a few people that are making over 800 HP via SC or NOS without any problems.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

have you considered an ls2 motor instead?
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
V
Stalker

i thought about an ls2, but with my plans to run a blower, id feel more comfortable with an iron block, JMO
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
Blackwizard222

ive heard lunati cranks are heavy. personally id go with a crower, if they make on for the ls1.
-CNC ported LS6 heads, PAC Springs, HPE-C cam, SLP Under-drive pulley, 160 stat, Harland Sharp Rocker arms, Volant CAI, MSD Wires, Ported TB and Stage 2 Intake by Jeremy Formato, ARH 1 7/8 Long tubes and high flow cats, MagnaFlow CatBack, GMM race shifter, Pedders street 1 bushings, Textralia OZ700 clutch, Gforce Halfshafts
455RWHP/411RWTQ
Blackwizard222 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning