Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
My9225thanni.

Vortec 350 questions!!!

I just bought a vortec 350 out of a sanoma the motor has 50, 000 miles on it the ran was in an accident etc. I want to rebuild it what are some of the best things i could do with out having it change the everything else like trans etc. Would this motor bolt up to the trans i have in my car now its a 700r4. Not looking to make my car a race car but at least a car with some spunk. If any one has any suggestions let me know thank you. enrico
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

a sonoma with a 350? that thing must have been a hell of a runner. if its truely a vortec motor, then the heads are good to begin with. stab in a mild cam, get yourself a performer or performer RPM intake, a holley carb and a good ol' HEI distributor and have fun.

I'm 99% sure it'll bolt up to your trans just fine.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

flexplate and trans will bolt up the same as you stockers. it is a gen1 1 piece rear main seal block just like your factory motor.
with only 50k on the motor i wouldn't worry about a rebuild unless you really want to drag some serious power out of it.
i agree with ian, a mild cam is all it will take. i believe the factory springs are rated to .470 lift, you can go further if you invest in beehive springs or have some head work done.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
Slow Z
11 Second Club

I'd first verify that its indeed a Vortec headed motor by pulling one of the valve covers. The casting numbers on the head will either end with 062 or 906 ...the intake will also only have 8 bolts holding it on. I'd slap an RPM intake on it, 650 Holley or Demon, and maybe Comp's XE268 cam. I'm pretty sure the springs for the XE268 cam are stock-sized so they should drop right in. DO NOT USE THE FACTORY SPRINGS.

With just an intake, carb, and cam it should make pretty damn good power while being completely daily drivable. Could probably hit low 13's with some gears and a stall.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

have you considered keeping the TBI that your car came with factory?
the fuel injection will certainly supply better gas mileage and digital control over the timing will add a lot to the performance of the engine.
since you already have teh fuel injection all you would need is a few free mods and a few upgraded parts to take advantage of the full potential of the engine.

later
tim

Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
My9225thanni.

Tim what kind of mods and other things would i have to do to keep the fuel injection i have on the 305 and put it on the vortec 350. What parts would i need also and would it be better to keep the fuel injection or go carb.
let me know
thanks
rico
Old 09-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Slow Z
11 Second Club

if you kept the TBI you might as well keep the whole engine stock
Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z
if you kept the TBI you might as well keep the whole engine stock Â*
Don't hate just because some people like their TBI.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My9225thanni.
Tim what kind of mods and other things would i have to do to keep the fuel injection i have on the 305 and put it on the vortec 350. Â*What parts would i need also and would it be better to keep the fuel injection or go carb. Â*
let me know
thanks
rico
all you would need is an upgraded in tank fuel pump, 255lph will be fine, an apaptor plate to put the TB onto a carbed intake(buy a carb intake and make or purchase an adapator, no need to spend the $75+ extra they charge for tbi specific intakes), a holley 2brl tbi unit or factory big block tbi unit, and have the computer tuned(talk to fasterthanyou about that, he is a tbi expert)

i assume you are not concerned with emissions at all. if you are you can use the stock computer to control a remote EGR as found on LS1 cars and sold as a kit through gm performance parts.

keeping the tbi will not cost you any performance at all over going carb. it will however allow for better driveability in all weather, much better fuel mileage and better cold start habits over a carb.

later
tim

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning