Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Jam
Banned

It's 4AM, is this Crazytalk or Revolutionary?

....like stated...it's 4AM, my contacts are drying up, the computer screen is all fuzzy, I'm ridiculously tired but I thought of an idea. This is for the T/A guys. is there a way to make our fender vents functional? If I were to cut out holes from the rear of the fender well, creating an air tunnel leading out the fender vents,, would this relieve brake heat or just make a big mess when dirt kicks up? would this cause drag? is there any way to make these things functional? ...IDEAS ANYONE?

EDIT: mods iuno if this thread applies for this section. feel free to relocate it like LCAs.

Last edited by Jam; 07-03-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Ispooledurmom

Do it and let us know
Ispooledurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
procamaroz28

idk about that...

BLK 07 CTS M6 2.8
procamaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
cdacda13

Its possible. I know a few third gen owners have done it.
And in order to keep the dirt out, you put a small screen in.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Jam
Banned

bump on this.... i know in NASCAR they do this by using fans that draw the air out.. does anyone have an ideas to test out the thermo energy being released when braking,, and if it would be helpful to tie a pipe leading the heat from the rotor veins out the side vents. maybe it'll reduce the amount of brake dust =]
Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

the air ducting usually brings air to the rotor, not away.

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 07-03-2009 at 06:13 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Jam
Banned

i'm planning on building brake ducts as well. connecting from the air deflector. ... i'm just seeing if there's any benefit to making the fender vents functional....
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

i dont see the rear opening helping the brakes in any way whatsoever. But they could eliminate a high pressure area behind the tire, if there is one.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I've never seen a road racer do that if that tells you anything. Usually vents like that are used to vent air out of the engine compartment.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I've never seen a road racer do that if that tells you anything. Usually vents like that are used to vent air out of the engine compartment.
Yea, that's what I was thinking. If you wanna vent anything with those fender vents, hot, high pressure engine bay air would be your best bet. Not sure how easily you could build it though.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Ispooledurmom

Maybe some sort of hoses or something to get the hot air from the engine bay to there i dont know
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
does anyone have an ideas to test out the thermo energy being released when braking
some of the later model gm's have sensors to read the rotors temp. you could also use an IR thermometer.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #13
V
Stalker

just drill holes everywhere, youll be fine trust me
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
just drill holes everywhere, youll be fine trust me
Nope. Pickaxe. Makes great speed holes.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Blacdout96

good for cooling brake rotors, no, good for relieving high pressure build up in the fender area, yes. Alot fo people talk about using ducts and what not for braking, but thay are only functional if your brakes are built to take it, or for the duty. Heating up brakes and then rapidly cooling them is going to cause warpage unless you use High performance rotors, not to mention, As my racing teachers told me, you want your brakes to stay hot (not too hot to cause fad, but hot enough to grip).

In 1967, there was a battle between Holmann & Moody, and Carroll Shelby To win Le Mans with the GT40 Mk IV. One of the things they didnt agree on was where the front rotor cooling air ducts went. H&M put them on the front Nose, Shelby put them on the hood because he felt too much air to the rotors would warp them after the Mulsanne Striaight...and he was right. Sometime during the night Mario Andretti came in to have his pads replace. He went out, and under the dunlop brige right after coming out of the pits, his brakes locked up, not only crashing himself but several other GT40's as well. The culprit, warped rotors due to excessive heating and cooling, Shelby went on to Win Le Mans by 5 laps over the second place car.

Now not to say you'll get your rotors as hot as them, but if the company felt they were necessary to keep the rotors operationing optimumly, I think they would of been added. So unless your doing Road Racing, or you really like going through pads, no need for brake ducting. What would be nice is to relieve the pressure under your fender. If you look on some high end sports cars, they have louvers over the fenders to relieve that pressure, and to produce downforce. Once again, your car is not a full on race car, so dont expect ot be able to go around corners 10mph faster, it just helps a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
Jam
Banned

wow awesome info. thanks a lot!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
good for cooling brake rotors, no, good for relieving high pressure build up in the fender area, yes. Alot fo people talk about using ducts and what not for braking, but thay are only functional if your brakes are built to take it, or for the duty. Heating up brakes and then rapidly cooling them is going to cause warpage unless you use High performance rotors, not to mention, As my racing teachers told me, you want your brakes to stay hot (not too hot to cause fad, but hot enough to grip).

In 1967, there was a battle between Holmann & Moody, and Carroll Shelby To win Le Mans with the GT40 Mk IV. One of the things they didnt agree on was where the front rotor cooling air ducts went. H&M put them on the front Nose, Shelby put them on the hood because he felt too much air to the rotors would warp them after the Mulsanne Striaight...and he was right. Sometime during the night Mario Andretti came in to have his pads replace. He went out, and under the dunlop brige right after coming out of the pits, his brakes locked up, not only crashing himself but several other GT40's as well. The culprit, warped rotors due to excessive heating and cooling, Shelby went on to Win Le Mans by 5 laps over the second place car.

Now not to say you'll get your rotors as hot as them, but if the company felt they were necessary to keep the rotors operationing optimumly, I think they would of been added. So unless your doing Road Racing, or you really like going through pads, no need for brake ducting. What would be nice is to relieve the pressure under your fender. If you look on some high end sports cars, they have louvers over the fenders to relieve that pressure, and to produce downforce. Once again, your car is not a full on race car, so dont expect ot be able to go around corners 10mph faster, it just helps a little.
Not trying to bust balls, but Carroll Smith doesn't believe in warped rotors and is quoted as saying he's never seen one:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Jam, you should probably read that white paper.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 07-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
Blacdout96

Ok, he was part of Shelby's Team, not H&M, H&M was the one who experience d the problems. H&M was also the decider in which way the rear body work should be hinged, and anybody who has read the story aout the 1967 Le Mans race knows what happened....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Jam
Banned

yah i'm going to cut out some holes out of the rear of the fender well leading to the fender vents and when i have time i'll weld on some metal netting .

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech