Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-01-2004, 10:14 AM   #101
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I have a friend with a pretty Fah Vo, but Im not sure if he needs anything else done to it...

We can do one on installing a nitrous kit... (even though its already installed) And it would be pretty quick.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #102
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I'll volunteer the beater for a short segment on cleaning your engine bay ('91 Chevy Lumina)

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #103
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
I'll volunteer the beater for a short segment on cleaning your engine bay ('91 Chevy Lumina)

- Justin
Sounds like another good idea to me, and something that sounds simple enough, but to a novice it could seem like a daunting task, until they've seen the process laid out for them
bencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #104
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm4Life
I have a friend with a pretty Fah Vo, but Im not sure if he needs anything else done to it...

We can do one on installing a nitrous kit... (even though its already installed) And it would be pretty quick.
I think I had responded to this post before, but since it doesn't seem to be on the 'Message Board', I'll respond again.

If you mean a Volvo, well, I suppose it could be used for something, just not sure what, maybe someone else would like to weigh in on this one.

The Nitrous kit thing would be useful if we do a segment on Race Track only vehicles, since it isn't Street Legal, and in this type of program, we can't be promoting the installation of anything that would run afoul of the law. Sorry, but that's why you don't see that sort of thing on the current crop of car themed programs.

Oh, and a rather interesting comment at the bottom of your post.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:11 PM   #105
BigAls87Z28

If it wont take too long....THEN LETS DO IT THIS WEDNESDAY!! Then we can finish my 305 project, and get her started.
I still have a header to put on, connect the y pipe, put on the intake, reconnect all the fuel and electiral hook ups, and then set the timing for the diz.

sounds like a good project huh? 8)
Old 10-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #106
jims69camaro

[edit: remove the list]

on the other issues, i don't think we should tackle anything other than f-bodies at this point. while the show is Average Joe's, it is for and will be produced by f-body enthusiasts. we can certainly talk about other projects/vehicles at a later date. there are a ton of third generation f-bodies on the market and they either are or will be the next big 'cheap' (read: affordable) project available to enthusiasts. right now it's the second gen, for sure, as they are getting quite a bit more exposure in the media.

yes, even the fourth genners are being seen and heard, as horsepowerTV has two of them in some stage of production. i am not against doing up a mustang, as that is also a very popular car for enthusiasts at this point in time - there are a ton of them out on the road. there is also room for a project on a sport truck or SUV. i think it's important not to let personal feelings enter into this, as if it does become commercially viable, we would want to appeal to as many people out there as is possible. while i am personally against japanese or korean cars, if it is decided that one of those cars would bring viewers, then it will be done.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #107
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Count me out....I have class every Tuesday and Wednesday till the middle of december.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #108
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
ok, everyone, weigh in on availability this wednesday, october 6, 2004...

1. Big Al
2. Jim

we should plan to meet at 6:00 p.m. or as shortly thereafter as is humanly possible. which project(s) are we filming, al? make sure that person(people) is(are) available. i haven't seen the storyboard yet, so i think this is a little premature, but if everyone else is available i will not hold the project up. the lack of a storyboard may make it run slowly or chaotic, but i am available and will show up to do my part.

on the other issues, i don't think we should tackle anything other than f-bodies at this point. while the show is Average Joe's, it is for and will be produced by f-body enthusiasts. we can certainly talk about other projects/vehicles at a later date. there are a ton of third generation f-bodies on the market and they either are or will be the next big 'cheap' (read: affordable) project available to enthusiasts. right now it's the second gen, for sure, as they are getting quite a bit more exposure in the media.

yes, even the fourth genners are being seen and heard, as horsepowerTV has two of them in some stage of production. i am not against doing up a mustang, as that is also a very popular car for enthusiasts at this point in time - there are a ton of them out on the road. there is also room for a project on a sport truck or SUV. i think it's important not to let personal feelings enter into this, as if it does become commercially viable, we would want to appeal to as many people out there as is possible. while i am personally against japanese or korean cars, if it is decided that one of those cars would bring viewers, then it will be done.
Damn! Wednesday, October 6th is the last Metuchen Downtown 'Cruise Night', and since I sort of helped get that thing going, I have to be there. Is there a possibility of maybe Thursday the 14th? If not, then I don't want to be the 'Monkey Wrench' in the works.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #109
j0n

ok yea i havent looked in this post like ever cuz i thought it would be too complicated for a 17 yr old...but now that im lookin i kin be the gopher(go for this, go for that) or pilot(pile it here, pile it there) and i have no trouble offering my car up 2 be butchered ...it needs o2 sensors, i needa replace an exhaust manifold gasket...and the engine bay could use some cleaning up(hiding wires, etc.)...i think i may be available for this wednesday...soccer permitting...so put me down as a maybe

p.s. sorry about my overuse of "..." :P
Old 10-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #110
jims69camaro

ok, i had a point to make, but i think it's already been made.

this type of thing cannot just be thrown together and done at the drop of a hat. this was proven by the response (and lack thereof) given by those who had an interest in it. i agree with striking while the iron is hot, but there is also a process called Rockwell hardening that heats the metal over and over again until it will cut through anything - including other metals. i won't discuss this but this one time, that i am all for this and i will push to get it done, but we have many people's schedule to take into account and there is the issue of running off half-cocked that i'd rather not do again. if people had some time, even a few weeks, to plan their lives around this (yeah, some of them have lives) then i believe it will come together nicely.

patience is needed when developing any group-effort project. the reasons why i set the original goal for spring time are many, and scheduling was just one of them. i do not want to be outside in the freezing cold trying to keep a camera steady or, worse, trying to hold onto a wrench. if this project idea had happened earlier in the year, then i think we could've worked around a couple of brisk fall days rather than bitter cold winter.

ok, enough soapbox. i would like to have the preliminary stuff done first before we even get together to set the cameras up, or clean someone's garage out so we have someplace to film. it will happen so much smoother that way. i don't think anyone can disagree with that.

i will continue to push for this project, because i believe in it and i believe it can be something out of the ordinary - perhaps even moderately successful. like i said before, i will never get in the way of progress. and if i ever do, and i am not aware of it, i would appreciate it if others could point it out to me. that is, if we are ready to move forward.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #111
bencar

Quote:
ok, i had a point to make, but i think it's already been made.

this type of thing cannot just be thrown together and done at the drop of a hat. this was proven by the response (and lack thereof) given by those who had an interest in it. i agree with striking while the iron is hot, but there is also a process called Rockwell hardening that heats the metal over and over again until it will cut through anything - including other metals. i won't discuss this but this one time, that i am all for this and i will push to get it done, but we have many people's schedule to take into account and there is the issue of running off half-cocked that i'd rather not do again. if people had some time, even a few weeks, to plan their lives around this (yeah, some of them have lives) then i believe it will come together nicely.

patience is needed when developing any group-effort project. the reasons why i set the original goal for spring time are many, and scheduling was just one of them. i do not want to be outside in the freezing cold trying to keep a camera steady or, worse, trying to hold onto a wrench. if this project idea had happened earlier in the year, then i think we could've worked around a couple of brisk fall days rather than bitter cold winter.

ok, enough soapbox. i would like to have the preliminary stuff done first before we even get together to set the cameras up, or clean someone's garage out so we have someplace to film. it will happen so much smoother that way. i don't think anyone can disagree with that.

i will continue to push for this project, because i believe in it and i believe it can be something out of the ordinary - perhaps even moderately successful. like i said before, i will never get in the way of progress. and if i ever do, and i am not aware of it, i would appreciate it if others could point it out to me. that is, if we are ready to move forward.
Though my response may not indicate it, I do agree with not rushing things. I'm just afraid, hopefully without justification, that if we wait too long to get started, we could wind up with this thing falling apart. One thing I'm now sure of, neither you, or I, want to let this thing die, and with some time, and a bit of luck, we'll have a dynamite program . If you can, drop me an E-Mail, for instance, when you're up to a planning session, or other pre-production work on this project.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:19 PM   #112
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Im only available on the weekends, sorry if it may be an inconvienece. But I work 2 jobs and go to school full time to support my hobby.

But I just ordered my first rounds of easy mods.

RK Sport LT-1 Air-Foil
RK Sport Skip Shift Eliminator
& RK Sport Smoked Head-lights.

And I also have a pro-form shift-light that wants to get installed.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:28 PM   #113
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm4Life
Im only available on the weekends, sorry if it may be an inconvienece. But I work 2 jobs and go to school full time to support my hobby.

But I just ordered my first rounds of easy mods.

RK Sport LT-1 Air-Foil
RK Sport Skip Shift Eliminator
& RK Sport Smoked Head-lights.

And I also have a pro-form shift-light that wants to get installed.
We'll manage somehow to work with everyone's schedules. Never said that this was going to be easy, but we'll manage, hang in there
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 PM   #114
BigAls87Z28

Well, we can always break it up into teams. A few could meet on Weds and discuss about what is going to be done.
Then another crew could get together another day and discuss how they are gunna set up.
Then we could go throug some dry runs, so we dont have to keep taping over and over and editing all of it out.
Then we can tape it and have another team cut it up. Then we watch it before we launch it, and back to square 1.

Just an idea. I can do a lot of stuff tuesday night into weds, friday and saturday nights.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:34 AM   #115
twiztidz28

well just an idea since it seems not all of us can get to one place at the same time during the week. we all need to make it to the october meet and sit and talk about some things. just an idea. I know me, alex (even if he doesnt drive ill bring his ass), al, justin, jim, ben should all be at the meet. and anyone else i missed. I'm working a **** load of over time this week so me trying to get out of work to do something is next to impossible.

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #116
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
ok yea i havent looked in this post like ever cuz i thought it would be too complicated for a 17 yr old...but now that im lookin i kin be the gopher(go for this, go for that) or pilot(pile it here, pile it there) and i have no trouble offering my car up 2 be butchered ...it needs o2 sensors, i needa replace an exhaust manifold gasket...and the engine bay could use some cleaning up(hiding wires, etc.)...i think i may be available for this wednesday...soccer permitting...so put me down as a maybe
there is nothing complicated about this, really, it's just a series of simple tasks that in the end will look complicated. i welcome anyone who wants to participate, and i am sure we can find more for you to do than be gopher and pilot.

does everyone have the ability to video conference via their computer? i do, as well as voice only conference (thinking about ben's idea for a telephone conference). if this capability exists, i would like to exploit it. we could have smaller group (or larger group, depending on the need) meetings just about every night assuming everyone that needed to be there could be there. we could always start out with an AOHell chatroom and take it from there. i do remember that voice conferencing from my last position used a service - everyone dialed into the same 800 number with the conference number and got connected that way. i'd also like to have a way to record the minutes, so what has been discussed and decided on can be refreshed at the beginning of each new meeting. it keeps the idea fires stoked and also keeps us from rehashing things that don't need to be discussed further. and, naturally, that is so much easier to do with the computer...

i'd like to say that i'll be at the october meet for sure, as it's in my old hometown, but winter's are especially rough for me physically. it's day-to-day for me, although i have every intention of making it.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 10-05-2004, 07:41 PM   #117
bencar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
there is nothing complicated about this, really, it's just a series of simple tasks that in the end will look complicated. i welcome anyone who wants to participate, and i am sure we can find more for you to do than be gopher and pilot.

does everyone have the ability to video conference via their computer? i do, as well as voice only conference (thinking about ben's idea for a telephone conference). if this capability exists, i would like to exploit it. we could have smaller group (or larger group, depending on the need) meetings just about every night assuming everyone that needed to be there could be there. we could always start out with an AOHell chatroom and take it from there. i do remember that voice conferencing from my last position used a service - everyone dialed into the same 800 number with the conference number and got connected that way. i'd also like to have a way to record the minutes, so what has been discussed and decided on can be refreshed at the beginning of each new meeting. it keeps the idea fires stoked and also keeps us from rehashing things that don't need to be discussed further. and, naturally, that is so much easier to do with the computer...

i'd like to say that i'll be at the october meet for sure, as it's in my old hometown, but winter's are especially rough for me physically. it's day-to-day for me, although i have every intention of making it.
If the phone conferencing thing can be set up, that would work for me. If not, the Chatroom idea would be an alternative. We just need to set up some type of protocol for recognizing each person as they want to say something, pretty much like you'd do at a physical meeting

Ah, the fun of getting things organized
Old 10-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #118
jims69camaro

for the meetings we could adopt the Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure, also known as Robert's Rules of Order and simply, Robert's Rules. i know the name sounds intimidating, but it's really just a group of rules to govern parliament, meetings, organizations, etc. anyone wishing more info can check out Robert's Rules Online.

or we could just take turns talking, going down the list of attendees. of course, respect would have to be given to the person speaking, everyone else would have to take notes if there are any questions and then bring them up when it's their turn. kind of simplistic, but i've seen it work well.

what is a good date/time to try to set up a meeting? i am available whenever, but wednesday night seems to work for some. all you'd have to do is get near a computer with internet access and AOHell installed on it to participate in the conference.

i will check into the costs of the 800 number conference calls, as that seems like a good idea and no one would have to worry about it being a toll call.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 10-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #119
bencar

If I get the bondo work done on the 'Daily Driver', then next Wednesday would work for me. If for any reason I run into an extra day's work, then hopefully by Thursday of next week, I'd be available, or any night thereafter. If all else fails, and someone doesn't mind, then I could always call a designated 'Contact Person', in order to get up to speed on things.

Having run a few meetings, it was exactly 'Roberts Rules of Order' that In was thinking of. It would probably be the fairest way to run the conference.

My schedule may be a nightmare, but as long as there's some way for me to stay in touch, I'll manage to do so.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #120
bencar

Um Jim, did my last suggestion sound feasible to you?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:51 AM   #121
jims69camaro

designated contact person? sure. or was it something else?

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 10-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #122
bencar

Quote:
designated contact person? sure. or was it something else?
That be it. I just want to make sure that if for any reason I can't make a planning session, I still have someone who's able to spare the time to bring me up to speed on what happened.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #123
jims69camaro

my whole reasoning behind recording the minutes.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 10-10-2004, 10:42 AM   #124
bencar

Quote:
my whole reasoning behind recording the minutes.
Okay, but please, when and as feasible, let me know who I can talk to, I talk better than I type Oh, and thanks for all you've done thus far to move this project along.

On a separate note here, I had a sort of idea, mind you it's only an idea, but it might be worth pursing. I know a guy who owns a 'Repair Shop' in Edison, he already does a morning 'Radio Show' on 'Car Repair', and maybe, just maybe, he might warm to the idea of us filming in his Shop, that is if he can get around the ever present 'Insurance' hurdle. My only fear though of involving this guy, is that he might try to shanghai our project. I can't say for certain that he'd do something like that, but it is a concern of mine.

So, what do you think? Should I approach this guy about our project?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #125
jims69camaro

yeah, i had thought about that when this idea first surfaced, but never said anything about it for the reasons you list.

i get an antsy feeling involving anyone outside of our little group. call it a control thing (yes, i am a control freak) or whatever, but i just get the willies thinking about losing our project to someone not even involved in the website/car club. there are no copyrights involved, and there really is nothing to copyright at this point other than the idea, which is kind of pointless until we have something else.

what does this guy's shop look like? i mean, cleanliness is next to godliness and all, which is why i had the idea of someone's garage which is an extension of their home, and thereby an extension of their image (mostly clean, is where i am going). take a look at any of the shows on TV at this point, and you'll see elaborately decorated sets. they really are just rented space in an industrial park (look at Two Guy's Garage the next time they are outside). this could be something we could shoot for after some money looks at our project and decides to back us for serious production - i am getting way ahead of where the project is at this point. i always have tried to stay on the ground, which is why you'll see way back when this post started i said "don't think we'll make anything on this" and stuff like that. we may be way off base as far as what a producer would want to see in the saturday line-up of the powerblock, but that's not the reason i wanted to get this project off the ground to begin with. i'd lose my job, at the very least. which would make me very happy. seriously.

it's an awesome idea - Average Guy's - plain and simple. it's something i would enjoy watching, not to mention getting in there behind the scenes.

so, i guess if this guy's shop is halfway decent, and it's not a major trek for anyone to get to, and no one objects to it, and we can get him to sign a waiver, and we sign waivers against his insurance (if we get hurt there we are on our own, just like if we were in our own garages)... i guess we could make it work.

that is, unless someone with a garage will let us film there.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge