Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Official State Registration Thread

Looking to go Historic or Collectors? Here's where you will get some info.

DMV definitions are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector Vehicle

Effective September 1, 2007

To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle is:
A limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities
Less than 25 years old
Not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To be classified as a collector vehicle, your vehicle cannot be registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod."

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:
Complete the collector vehicle application
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
Show proof of limited-use insurance
Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Vehicle
You can purchase historic plates for $44. To be considered a historic vehicle, the vehicle has to be at least 25 years old and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner.

You must include two color photographs of the vehicle with your application for historic vehicle registration.
One of front view
One of the side view (right or left)
Also bring a copy of your vehicle's New Jersey title. You can personalize them for a $94 fee.

Owners of modified antique automobiles manufactured before 1949 that are registered in a New Jersey street rod club or an affiliate of the National Street Rod Association Inc. may apply for a Street Rod plate for $15.

Call MVC at (609) 292-6500 or toll free in New Jersey (888) 486-3339 to request an application.
Facts about Registration and Insurance

1.) If you need to get collector's insurance from a place like Hagerty or Grundy, please be aware that you need to be at least 25 years old with a clean driving record to be approved. <--- This has been known to vary. Check with the companies before you purchase/go to register your car.

2.) If you decide to get collector's insurance from a place like Hagerty or Grundy, please be aware that they will require the car to be stored in a locked garage

3.) If you decide to get collector's insurance from a place like Hagerty or Grundy, please be aware that they will require you to have a seperate daily driver and proof of it's insurance

4.) You can only get QQ plates by going to the office near the Trenton DMV on M-F, or through the mail. Doing this by mail can take 1-2 months.

5.) Certain people who have existing collector's registration did not have to meet the "collector status" clause, depending on when they got their sticker. If you see the triangular inspection sticker on a car like yours, do not assume you can also get one unless you know for a FACT that your car meets the collector criteria.

6.) If you are one of the lucky people to have an existing collector's reg on a car that does not meet the criteria, be sure to never let it lapse. You may have to reapply for collector's status and you may be denied under the new rules.

If you have a collector's or historic reg and have info to share, please let me know and I'll update this sticky.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 04-08-2009 at 03:40 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
88Z-Man

"Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. "

Getting ready to do this for mine this year. Any ideas on how to fullfill this request? Most Camaro's and Firebird's were not concidered "limited production". Will GM give anyone a letter for this purpose?
88Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

"recognized car club"

I will have to find out what that means.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
"recognized car club"

I will have to find out what that means.
I have been trying for ages and can't get a straight answer out of anyone.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z-Man View Post
"Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. "

Getting ready to do this for mine this year. Any ideas on how to fullfill this request? Most Camaro's and Firebird's were not concidered "limited production". Will GM give anyone a letter for this purpose?
thats the problem

i had my car under collector status for the past 6 years, now i let it lapse because i didnt want to drive the car in January with the salt on the road. Now im told have to reapply, which is really going to suck unless i can get my status renewed by the state somehow. I have phone calls to make.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
CAUGHT-YA-LOOKIN

If you contact gm...you can get a build sheet that will tell how many of your car were made.....for classic or collector status...i believe it has to be less than 5,000 produced....my ride was denied..not positive on the number...but it is very low
Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAUGHT-YA-LOOKIN View Post
If you contact gm...you can get a build sheet that will tell how many of your car were made.....for classic or collector status...i believe it has to be less than 5,000 produced....my ride was denied..not positive on the number...but it is very low
Collector only...for the classic (QQ) plates, any car 25+ years old qualifies.

- Justin

Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
andy78TA

I think it should be mentioned that If ANYONE in your household has a bad driving record you cannot get collector car insurance in NJ. I had this issue this summer. I was not able to get collector insurance because my sister has a bad driving record and is in the same household. Apparently in NJ it is some sort of an umbrella policy and they would not insure me (who has a perfect driving record knock on wood) because of my sister..
Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

what companies did you try?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

You can still get coverage from some companies but they will want something in writing stating that you will be the only operating the vehicle. My brother had a ticket and one company denied me coverage but another company pointed it out and I told them he would not be driving the car ever so they gave me a policy and I faxed over a signed statement. Try contacting www.mkinsuranceagency.com to see what they say. That's who I had on my 70 SS396 Camaro.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
andy78TA

Not in NJ, I already tried getting something in writing, wouldn't work. I tried at least a dozen companies including the one above, It just doesn't work. I tried:
Hagerty, classiccar, eastcoast classics, american classics, north american classics, grundy, usinsurance, and a bunch more. They all told me the same thing, because somebody in the household has a bad driving record I can't get it. If I lived in PA or another state than I could have a notarized letter sent, but not in NJ

edit: also my sister has more than just 1 ticket lol

Last edited by andy78TA; 12-01-2009 at 03:33 PM.
andy78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

move/kick her out
Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
andy78TA

HAHA thats what my dad and I wanted to do. My dad and I were trying to figure out how to get around it since now I am paying 4X as much for insurance to have no covererage except liability... it really sucks
Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy78TA View Post
Not in NJ, I already tried getting something in writing, wouldn't work. I tried at least a dozen companies including the one above, It just doesn't work.

edit: also my sister has more than just 1 ticket lol
Jeff is in NJ, so it is possible. The second part of your statement might be the real reaason.

Quote:
HAHA thats what my dad and I wanted to do. My dad and I were trying to figure out how to get around it since now I am paying 4X as much for insurance to have no covererage except liability... it really sucks
Charge your sister for the difference in insurance costs....

- Justin

Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
JL8Jeff

How old are you? Most collector insurance companies won't deal with people under 25 to begin with. I had insurance through MK for 3 years on my SS396. They did ask me about my brother's ticket but I told them he would never be driving the car so they gave me coverage.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
andy78TA

I am 22 but a few places allow you at 21 with a clean record. The car was originally sold to my dad though because I thought it was 25 also so we had it in his name to get the insurance and they said the issue was my sister. Once we exhausted all efforts we put it in my name.

Now I want to try this again though. I called so many companies and they all said the same thing, If anyone in the household has issues you can't get it. I guess they will allow someone in the household to have a ticket, as long as its not something serious... unfortunately that still knocks me out... stupid sister

Last edited by andy78TA; 12-01-2009 at 09:53 PM.
andy78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
JL8Jeff

They are probably telling you it's your sisters record but it's really a combination of your age and someone in the household having tickets. It's up to the insurance company, but most won't give collectors insurance for someone under 25 so you have 2 things going against you right now.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
CAUGHT-YA-LOOKIN

Grundy is real good for the collector insurance.....but as with the others
must be a licenced driver of 10 or more years.....they need pictures ..of the front..both sides..and rear of the car...also a picture of a garage that you keep it in...it's around $60 a year for $8000 in coverage....i contacted motor vehicle and can not get an answer on the recognized car club....other that a car club recomondation for your car...on a car clubs letterhead....with a contact person they can call if needed....also the same for gm...must be on a gm letterhead....
Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
V
Stalker

hmm i got a question now...

My SS is registered as a collector vehicle, and i got the triangle inspection sticker in 4/07. I renewed my registration in 08, and my mom did it for me this year, so it has never lapsed. Too be honest i cant remember if the renewal paperwork said collector on it, and i never pay attention the the cost anyway. Would it be automatic, or do i need to apply for collector every time i renew? Im hoping not. The second part of my question is that my inspection expired in 4/09, but i was deployed at the time. And in NJ for deployed military, they extend all expiration dates until im off orders/active duty for 2 weeks. So technically for me, it never actually expired. If i bring my orders and military ID to the inspection to renew it, they shouldnt give me much of a hassle for being late right?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
JL8Jeff

They might not hassle you for being late but they might question the collector or limited use registration. If that is still current you might be ok. Aren't you supposed to go to dmv every year so they can record the odometer reading to verify you aren't putting more than 3000 miles a year on it? If you never went and had that updated they might hassle you and I'm guessing they will. Keep your fingers crossed and take a bunch of paperwork and it may overwhelm them.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #21
V
Stalker

they do the mileage check every 2 years at the inspection, 6000 allowed.

at least thats what i got from the guy who did it and my friends who've had it.

Last edited by V; 12-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
andy78TA

I was accepted myself to many of the insurance companies being 21, it was only after that they asked about everyone else in the household so I don't think it was my age for some of them. For the companies that had a 25 minimun that was the first thing they told me
Old 01-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
WildBillyT

Quote:
I was accepted myself to many of the insurance companies being 21, it was only after that they asked about everyone else in the household so I don't think it was my age for some of them. For the companies that had a 25 minimun that was the first thing they told me
Andy,

Do you know which accepted you at 21? And what your rates looked like? I'll edit the original post.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
gtaproject

Official State Registration Thread

Just relocated from Long Island to Hillsborough (I guess that's "Central"). Anywho - I need to change reggies, insurance and licenses for me and the wife, plus all the cars. I have an 88 GTA and was wondering if there is any advantage to registering it as a "collector car" in NJ. I have collector insurance and have put a total of 5k miles on it in the 7 years I've owned it. I removed A.I.R, but it passes smog in NY when I get it inspected there (but would fail visual if anybody bothered to check - which they never do). The DMV site states that I have to get some sort of written proof that the car is limited edition or whatever. Any advantage cost or convenience wise to jumping through these hoops - or should I just do it as I would with my other non-collectibles.Thanks
gtaproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #25
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaproject View Post
Just relocated from Long Island to Hillsborough (I guess that's "Central"). Anywho - I need to change reggies, insurance and licenses for me and the wife, plus all the cars. I have an 88 GTA and was wondering if there is any advantage to registering it as a "collector car" in NJ. I have collector insurance and have put a total of 5k miles on it in the 7 years I've owned it. I removed A.I.R, but it passes smog in NY when I get it inspected there (but would fail visual if anybody bothered to check - which they never do). The DMV site states that I have to get some sort of written proof that the car is limited edition or whatever. Any advantage cost or convenience wise to jumping through these hoops - or should I just do it as I would with my other non-collectibles.Thanks
You will not have to go through any inspection- just an odometer check.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech