Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
pdiminico

Headliner Material

I have a 94 Z28 with the Light Grey interior and T-Tops.

The headliner needs to be replaced.

I need to find the material to recover the foam backing. Where would I find the headliner material?
pdiminico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
HardcoreZ28

Year One has it through their Next Generation catalog or you might be able to try Hawks Third Generation....they may carry the 4th gen headliners. If the headliner board is made of cardboard like a thirdgen I'd highly suggest just buying one precovered....the new boards are plastic and won't deteriorate like the stock pieces.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
edpontiac91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
Year One has it through their Next Generation catalog or you might be able to try Hawks Third Generation....they may carry the 4th gen headliners. If the headliner board is made of cardboard like a thirdgen I'd highly suggest just buying one precovered....the new boards are plastic and won't deteriorate like the stock pieces.
Also if the FOAM BACKING is starting to deteriorate, gluing the new material to it will not hold up. The foam will continue to pull away and you'll be left with the same problem.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
pdiminico

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
Also if the FOAM BACKING is starting to deteriorate, gluing the new material to it will not hold up. The foam will continue to pull away and you'll be left with the same problem.
My headliner has lost all the foam backing. It's just the material hanging from the headliner board. I have done the same job on my thrid gen by sanding the old foam off the backing board, using the 3M spray glue and reapplying the headliner material back down. Still holding to this day.

I was able to find the headliner material with foam backing in a local store. Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts in the Mercer Mall $10.99 by yard and currecntly have a 40% off sale on any material purchase. They have it in the colors of grey, black, and red.

Just need to remove the headliner board, pull the old material off, sand the old foam off the board, and spray the 3M glue as I lay the new headliner.

Last edited by pdiminico; 02-16-2008 at 08:40 PM.
pdiminico is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance