Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 10-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Lt-1 Computer tunning.

The car is an OBD-1 Car, so how to you go about tuning with software?

Out of curiosity, I looked at most of those power programmers, and they seem to be most effective in auto cars. And I hear stories of good tunes on OBD-2 cars, getting some nice power out bone stock.

What can I possibly do to squeeze out some extra HP with just an exhaust & intake?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Squirrel
13 Second Club

with a small amount of mods a mail order tune from madz28 or pcm4less would be the best bang for the buck IMO...Ion guarantees 13 rwhp off a stock car
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Injuneer

The quickest way to produce HP on a stock LT1 tune (OBD-I or OBD-II, doesn't matter), is to lean out the WOT A/F ratio. The factory setup generally targets 11.7:1 at WOT. You will make more HP with an A/F ratio closer to 13.0:1. This can be accomplished by altering the numbers in the Power Enrichment (PE) mode tables. That's good for about 15HP, and that's what the mail order guys do when you get a "tune" for a relatively stock setup.

This is a beginner's guide to what you can do. Look at the section on "PE vs. Coolant Temp" and "PE vs. RPM". There are a number of more advance resources available:

http://www3.baylor.edu/~Christopher_...ht/LT1Edit.htm

To make those changes on an OBD-I PCM, you need LT1_Edit:

http://carputing.com

or TunerCat:

http://www.tunercat.com/

1994 Formula - 381ci / 300-shot N2O / TH400 / Gear Vendor OD / Strange 12-bolt 4.11 - 11.5@117 on straight motor
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

you could also give a call to TTP. i am sure they have someone in house or coudl direct you to soemone who can tune your car.
remeber, a custom tune with data logging will always be a ton better than a mail order tune up.
there is also the possibility of doing your own tune with LT1edit software.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

lt1 edit does have software available if you want to do it yourself fwiw id say stay as far away from the hand held programmers as possible.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #6
Fasterthanyou

True that stock calibrations run a rather rich mixture. They do that so that your cat converter doesn't turn into a molten ball of fire . In a sence they're "putting out" your cat, if you don't do this your cat will live a rather short life. Newer cars do it differently but up until 99 that's how GM was doing there calibrations .
If you don't have a cat, lean it out a bit but ALWAYS have a way of measuring improvements. Don't go by the butt dyno, those are rarely accurate.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #7
transamws686

depends on how confident you are,

I have a friend who uses preditor I believe, or hypertune(ithink its called thaT) any way it is a plug in hand held device which allows you to tune minor things like shift points A/F ratio.

or you can do a dyno tune, mine was done by ttp, I gained 16 rwhp but I dropped almost 20 from my last dune because they could not get the torque converter to lock up but they did tune it and I got better gas millage better shift points and I felt a better response, I just need to go back and totaly delete the torqe management.
Bored .060 over, speed pro forged pistons, cat H braun rods, STOCK CRANK CUT .010 .010, ROLLER timing chain, melling 60lb oil pum, comp lifters, comp push rods .080 wall, speed pro molly rings, #62 heads fully ported, stainless valves 2.11X1.77,comp springs and retainers, clevitte bearings, Melling SPC-7 camshaft RAIII, QJ carb 700 cfm
transamws686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamws686
depends on how confident you are,

I have a friend who uses preditor I believe, or hypertune(ithink its called thaT) any way it is a plug in hand held device which allows you to tune minor things like shift points A/F ratio.

or you can do a dyno tune, mine was done by ttp, I gained 16 rwhp but I dropped almost 20 from my last dune because they could not get the torque converter to lock up but they did tune it and I got better gas millage better shift points and I felt a better response, I just need to go back and totaly delete the torqe management.
But isnt TTP a mostly LS1 stuff place. I know ive been there, and I have never seen an LT-1 car there. They use LS1 Edit, I didnt think their was an LT-1 Edit.

Im still looking.

It looks like the next major mods are going to be, subframes, short-throw shifter, RK Sport Headers w/ 3" Y-pipe, & a High-Flow cat. And call it a day while I save up for the Pro-Charger and rear-end.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
transamws686

they are more ls1 based you are right

nice plans
Bored .060 over, speed pro forged pistons, cat H braun rods, STOCK CRANK CUT .010 .010, ROLLER timing chain, melling 60lb oil pum, comp lifters, comp push rods .080 wall, speed pro molly rings, #62 heads fully ported, stainless valves 2.11X1.77,comp springs and retainers, clevitte bearings, Melling SPC-7 camshaft RAIII, QJ carb 700 cfm
transamws686 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning