Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #51
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quick update on this topic. I went to get my registration renewed today and it was the first time doing so with the Collector Designation. I received my registration renewal form in the mail like usual, but nothing pertaining to the Collector Designation? I thought this was strange so I decided against the online renewal and went in person. Luckily I did, because you have to fill out the separate Collector Form again to maintain that registration status.

The woman at the desk said they no longer offer the collector designation status, only the QQ or Historic status? I was not happy to hear this and tried my best to maintain a cool demeanor and explained that I already had obtained the status and was simply trying to renew it. She passed me along and eventually I got my Collector Voucher, but there were some tense moments along the way. I had my original application and my declarations page from my insurance as backup, but they didn't want to see them.

So if you have the Collector Car Status, be sure to keep it current and not let it lapse because they made it sound like it no longer is an option unless you already have the designation in place. I also suggest that any original paperwork from the original application process be stored away in a safe place just in case you had to substantiate your eligibility or prove you are "grandfathered" in.

Had I renewed online, with no option for the Collector Designation would I have lost that status? Could I have then gone to DMV to add it on in person? Don't know and don't even want to think about going through that battle to try and get it re-instated.

I checked and the MVC website still shows it under the Specialty Vehicle Option Listings, but maybe the website is not current or maybe the ladies at Baker's Basin in Lawrence are simply confused/misinformed?

Either way if you have the status, be sure to maintain and document and protect it. It sounds like it would be very troublesome to get it back, if it is even still offered.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #52
BurninrubberGT

quick questions guys about personalized qq plates. Do you get them same day when you go to trenton? Or do they mail them to you?

And their website says you can go to a few different dmv's for qq's, does that include when you need personalized plates or did they keep that as trenton only?
BurninrubberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #53
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

You will not get personalized plates the same day, they have to make them up. Mine were mailed to me.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #54
BurninrubberGT

that's what I figured, thanks
BurninrubberGT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech