Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #101
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
You can't change the GVWR. It goes by vin.
You can change it on registration, but not for inspection. That is set by the manufacturer/upfitter.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #102
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

GVWR goes by VIN? IF that's the case my Dakota is off by 2000 then lol
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #103
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I don't think so since it varies so much. Its on the door tag. Maybe its tied in?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #104
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Does VIN change with upfitting?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #105
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
You can change it on registration, but not for inspection. That is set by the manufacturer/upfitter.
Correct, you can register you HD for 6000 pounds which is cheaper but it's on you if you get stopped and are overweight. Not that would ever happen but with the MVC mobile inspections I guess anything is possible. But no matter what it's registered for, they go by the vin for the GVWR. My truck is an 02 2500HD and gets the tailpipe test every 2 years because the vin lists the GVWR at 9200 pounds. I'm due 12/17 for inspection but I guess I'll be exempt.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #106
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
No

Quote:
Correct, you can register you HD for 6000 pounds which is cheaper but it's on you if you get stopped and are overweight. Not that would ever happen but with the MVC mobile inspections I guess anything is possible. But no matter what it's registered for, they go by the vin for the GVWR. My truck is an 02 2500HD and gets the tailpipe test every 2 years because the vin lists the GVWR at 9200 pounds. I'm due 12/17 for inspection but I guess I'll be exempt.
They look at your door sticker to verify GVWR. The barcode on the sticker does contain GVWR info but it does not mean the vehicle is still rated the same. Consider incomplete chassis trucks, work vans, etc. GM does put their barcode with the dash vin on most every vehicle so the same information is contained within that barcode but it does not mean the vin dictates the GVWR.

Edit: I was actually rethinking this. The GVWR is part of the registration card barcode. It is printed on the door sticker. That barcode does not contain vehicle info afaik.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 04-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #107
maroman88
12 Second Club

Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.

Commercial still requires inspection

also, my PD was notified and this was posted at our desk.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT

Last edited by maroman88; 04-14-2016 at 08:50 PM.
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #108
ThoR294

Kay so mah truck is 4300 GVWR and reg is 5000. guess they round up lol.

I just realized most OBD1 cahs can be antiques to say the least.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:09 AM   #109
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Mebbe I should get back in the game with a nice or not so nice turd gen. I know where I can get a sweet 4 cyl. Camerro.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!

Last edited by unstable bob gable; 04-18-2016 at 05:10 AM.
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #110
Featherburner

Quote:
No

They look at your door sticker to verify GVWR. The barcode on the sticker does contain GVWR info but it does not mean the vehicle is still rated the same. Consider incomplete chassis trucks, work vans, etc. GM does put their barcode with the dash vin on most every vehicle so the same information is contained within that barcode but it does not mean the vin dictates the GVWR.

Edit: I was actually rethinking this. The GVWR is part of the registration card barcode. It is printed on the door sticker. That barcode does not contain vehicle info afaik.
I went to MVC last December and the guy was having a hard time scanning the barcode off the vin plate because I had the windshield replaced and the installer got a small amount of butyl on the bar code. He ended up having to input the vin manually before he could continue with the inspection. I know my truck is registered for 6000lbs. GVWR but they run the inspection as 9200lbs. GVWR. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GVWR wouldn't change if it were an incomplete chassis truck. The weight you could carry might change depending how outfitted (utility box vs. flatbed ect.) but the GVWR which is set by the chassis and suspension wouldn't change.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #111
LTb1ow

Quote:
I went to MVC last December and the guy was having a hard time scanning the barcode off the vin plate because I had the windshield replaced and the installer got a small amount of butyl on the bar code. He ended up having to input the vin manually before he could continue with the inspection. I know my truck is registered for 6000lbs. GVWR but they run the inspection as 9200lbs. GVWR. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GVWR wouldn't change if it were an incomplete chassis truck. The weight you could carry might change depending how outfitted (utility box vs. flatbed ect.) but the GVWR which is set by the chassis and suspension wouldn't change.
An uplifter can uprate or derate the GVWR on trucks/vans when playing the game of sneaking around or above commercial limits.

Same goes for if you tag a truck commerically, the GVWR is moot, the DOT guy cares about GAWR and GCWR more than GVWR.

Which is why you see tons of gasser 3500 d00lyz, biggest tow capacity under a CDL A
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #112
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

How the truck is registered is not how it is tested. They read the door sticker and input it manually. It saves afterwards into the system. If no sticker is present, the gvwr is estimated.

http://www.worktruckonline.com/chann...it-s-done.aspx

I hope its not butyl, urethane is the correct snot
Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #113
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.

Commercial still requires inspection

also, my PD was notified and this was posted at our desk.

correct. I have pulled a few people over already who are very confused by all of this. Firstly I tell them that it is not yet May 1, 2016 an the old rules still apply. Secondly they have trouble understanding that the GVWR is also a factor and not the year only. Their typical response is "oh, my friend told me that I didn't need inspection anymore" I kindly tell them that they should look up the exact rules by themself because what their friend told them is incorrect.

Bottom line... It is somewhat expected that some people will be confused, especially if hearing about the law change from an unofficial source, but it is still their responsibility to find out the correct info for themselves; especially if they think that the law change actually might apply to their vehicle.

For me, I am happy because 2 of my vehicles are exempt . The 87 camaro, and my 95 jeep. The 2006 dodge ram will still need inspection, but I'm not modding it like crazy, and the wife's 2010 mazda 6 will still have to go. No problem really, I live 5 mins from the Randolph DMV.

perhaps it is time to pump some nitro-methane into my 95 wrangler inline 4 banger to boost up the stock 110 hp!!!

Last edited by IROCZman15; 04-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #114
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
perhaps it is time to pump some nitro-methane into my 95 wrangler inline 4 banger to boost up the stock 110 hp!!!
It needs NOS, turbo, a blower, a supercharger, and nitro!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #115
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I would imagine you could. When I was failing insppection with my Suburban, I think because someone did an engine swap, the guy at the state inspection told me that the state would have to re-vin my vehicle so it would have the proper engine for the vin so I would be able to pass for the proper specs. The Burb came from Arizona and had a new engine certification tag from AZ riveted in the door jamb.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #116
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Welp, 5 days into May. If any of you brave souls decide to rip your stickers off, let us know how things play out hereforth!

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 05-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #117
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I will be running without one on the Suburban, as I already have been.... lol
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #118
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Welp, 5 days into May. If any of you brave souls decide to rip your stickers off, let us know how things play out hereforth!
I got pulled over by the NJSP back in mid April for no inspection sticker in my 2005 2500HD (6500 registered GVWR) and told them come May I planned on upping the GVWR for the exemption.

They laughed and told me to have a good day.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #119
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
I got pulled over by the NJSP back in mid April for no inspection sticker in my 2005 2500HD (6500 registered GVWR) and told them come May I planned on upping the GVWR for the exemption.

They laughed and told me to have a good day.
GVWR is on the door sticker, not what you register it for.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #120
WSex

My s4 is inspection free. Yay

Last edited by WSex; 05-06-2016 at 11:22 PM.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #121
ThoR294

Quote:
Yeah they rounded the gvwr up on my Dakota from the door sticker.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #122
zraffz

Quote:
I am kinda doubting this. You can derate the registered weight during registration to whatever you want. By default, it's 5,000lbs and you pay extra to raise it. It does not automatically get set by VIN when you go to the DMV because neither my 2500HD or M923 (6x6) was capped at 5,000lhs from the vin.

So I don't have to up my GVWR on my registration to be exempt since this truck has a 9200lb GVWR from GM?

I know with the self inspect at 10,0001lbs, you needed to physically raise the registered GVWR (as long as it didn't exceed the manufacturer's rating).

Last edited by zraffz; 05-09-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #123
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
I am kinda doubting this. You can derate the registered weight during registration to whatever you want. By default, it's 5,000lbs and you pay extra to raise it. It does not automatically get set by VIN when you go to the DMV because neither my 2500HD or M923 (6x6) was capped at 5,000lhs from the vin.

So I don't have to up my GVWR on my registration to be exempt since this truck has a 9200lb GVWR from GM?

I know with the self inspect at 10,0001lbs, you needed to physically raise the registered GVWR (as long as it didn't exceed the manufacturer's rating).
You deal with big trucks right? If you get caught hauling more than you are tagged for, you are in trouble. The inspection wouldn't change because you tagged it lower. Your hd was a tail pipe test before, correct? And its 07 or older?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #124
zraffz

Red face

Quote:
You deal with big trucks right? If you get caught hauling more than you are tagged for, you are in trouble. The inspection wouldn't change because you tagged it lower. Your hd was a tail pipe test before, correct? And its 07 or older?
Yes to all but where do you see its being based off the manufacturer's spec and not the registered weight? I am aware the VIN will tell the GVWR from the factory but i am skeptical, why would the DMV let me register this truck for less than it actually weighs (for example it's tagged for 5,000lbs GVWR which isn't even the curb weight)?

That's why I don't understand if this exemption is based off registered GVWR or manufacturer GVWR.

You can derate a hydraulic brake commercial vehicle a certain percentage (let's say your axles total 28,000; you can register that legally below 26,001 and beat the CDL requirement). I'd imagine when a police officer runs your plate all they see is the registered weight and not the manufacturer's rated capacity... the state wants you to pay for running heavy (the higher the GVWR the more the registration costs), why would they reward people like me that have a truck that meets the requirements but isn't paying the state for it?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #125
LTb1ow

GVWR is for stopping idiots ruining motors/trans and warranties, a DOT guy will care more about GCWR and axle weights.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge