Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #126
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Because reasons

Mainly head in ass nj.

You are welcome to register it however you want. I would leave it where it is. If you aren't exempt but you qualify, point to your door sticker showing GVWR. I doubt that situation will arise though.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #127
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
GVWR is for stopping idiots ruining motors/trans and warranties, a DOT guy will care more about GCWR and axle weights.
It absolutely has to do with transmission warrantees and stopping power.

Your GVWR is figured based off axle weights (generally the combination of the two, minus 15-20% to reduce odds of damage while off road).

It's usually difficult to reach your GVWR without overloading the rear though.

If we want to get technical, almost anybody you see with a plow on the front of their pickup truck is overloading the front axle and in violation of the law.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #128
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Because reasons

Mainly head in ass nj.

You are welcome to register it however you want. I would leave it where it is. If you aren't exempt but you qualify, point to your door sticker showing GVWR. I doubt that situation will arise though.
The NJSP already laughed when I got pulled over and couldn't clarify the law (this was mid april)
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #129
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
It absolutely has to do with transmission warrantees and stopping power.

Your GVWR is figured based off axle weights (generally the combination of the two, minus 15-20% to reduce odds of damage while off road).

It's usually difficult to reach your GVWR without overloading the rear though.

If we want to get technical, almost anybody you see with a plow on the front of their pickup truck is overloading the front axle and in violation of the law.
On a duramax, I can most definitely hit GCWR well before GVWR, or GAWR. RCLB though.

Axle is rated 10,800lb

Light duty truck stuff
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #130
Featherburner

Quote:
I am kinda doubting this. You can derate the registered weight during registration to whatever you want. By default, it's 5,000lbs and you pay extra to raise it. It does not automatically get set by VIN when you go to the DMV because neither my 2500HD or M923 (6x6) was capped at 5,000lhs from the vin.

So I don't have to up my GVWR on my registration to be exempt since this truck has a 9200lb GVWR from GM?

I know with the self inspect at 10,0001lbs, you needed to physically raise the registered GVWR (as long as it didn't exceed the manufacturer's rating).
I sure MVC is inspecting your truck as HD even though you are registered at 6000lbs. If they were doing the tailpipe test they were doing the HD inspection. If they were testing it as registered it would have gotten plugged in under the dash and that would have been it.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #131
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
The NJSP already laughed when I got pulled over and couldn't clarify the law (this was mid april)
State Police are law enforcement officials, if they don't know the law and granted it is changing, that is their agenda. State Inspectors perform State Inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
I sure MVC is inspecting your truck as HD even though you are registered at 6000lbs. If they were doing the tailpipe test they were doing the HD inspection. If they were testing it as registered it would have gotten plugged in under the dash and that would have been it.
Very well put, thank you!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #132
zraffz

Quote:
On a duramax, I can most definitely hit GCWR well before GVWR, or GAWR. RCLB though.

Axle is rated 10,800lb

Light duty truck stuff
Notice I said GVWR for a reason. In the world of the big trucks, you might have a single axle with a 20k front axle and 26k rear (this is the biggest set of axles that I know of in a SA truck). If you cross the scales at your 46,000lb GVWR, you can certainly assume the rear is overloaded lol.

Let's take a 2016 2500HD as the example. It has a combined axle weight of 10,600. The GVWR is only 9,300. Your front axle weight is rated at 4,400 but empty the truck already has 3,216lbs on it. This means an extra 1,184lbs brings you to the legal limit on just that axle. For example, a 8' western ultra mount is just shy of 900lbs but I'd imagine because of the weight being in front of the axle, you will transfer a little bit of weight from the rear and probably come close to overloading that axle. On the older 3/4 ton trucks or the dieseld, you can almost count that the 8' plow is overloading the front axles legal capacity.

That truck as a single cab long bed 6.0 weighs 5,717. You could theoretically hold 5,083lbs in the trucks bed but your rear axle can only hold 3,699lbs before it's overloaded. Unless the bulk of that weight is directly behind the cab and transferring weight forward, it would probably overload the rear.

All of this is factoring in the truck's axle weight rating of 10,600 as being the GVWR, which it isn't. The good news is that truck can weigh 21,100 while towing (11,800 capacity) which would make it impossible to overload the rear axle unless you have no concept for how to evenly distribute weight onto a trailer.

I see flatbed trucks and box trucks get put out of commission all the time by the DOT just on my local commutes (on state highways).
Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #133
LTb1ow

Yea, try figuring GM recommended king pin weight.

Either way, like you said the DOT guy will go off of axle weight limits and not really concern over GVWR.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #134
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

And none of which a state inspector will care about. GVWR on door sticker, that's it.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #135
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
And none of which a state inspector will care about. GVWR on door sticker, that's it.
Yes, but who cares about the inspector, we shifted topics to tow things!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #136
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, but who cares about the inspector, we shifted topics to tow things!

Towing is ghey bro Rollin coal in a cummins is the sheit!!!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge