Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

IMO there is no such thing of a good and cheap converter. Theres good and theres cheap, chose one. Spending the coin on the converter. It will make you much happier in the long run
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
and on the converter thing. i literally NEED the most cost effective best solution...i dont have much money to waste, and i dont want to buy parts that im gonna regret or need to replace in a few months. ill look into circle d.

anyone used precision lock-up converters before?

id be happier than a pig in s*** to run a 12.99...id shut enough people up around here..too many kids think they are really fast in their basic bolt-on imports with a boost setting 3psi higher than stock (subie guys), you take em to the track once and all of a sudden their car has something wrong...they just dont want to admit they lost to a camaro.
The vigiliante line is good...

I would say run a PTC, cheap and a good unit.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
evilz99

I can tell you I researched the ***** out of my revmax before I got it and I will tell you I could not find ONE negative thing about them from someone that actually HAD one of their products and have talked to MANY MANY people with them and they all LOVE them not sure where harmony is but I'm in millville you are more than welcome to come and take my car down the road and see how you like it before you make a decision. Just sayin if I was sellinga circle D I would say go circle d too HAHA Rev max=400$ everyone else=799$ no thanks I will stay with what I got that works fine for me but some people need that fancy name to feel warm and fuzzy inside but when I get cold, I can burn the 399 dollar bills I saved a lot longer than 1 yank, vig, or circle D sticker LMAO....
99 Z28 A4, Mufflex 4" catback, SLP lid and ram air, bbk 80mm tb, GMS MAS, Ls6 Intake, poly mm's, pacesetter lts and ORY, REVMAX 3600 Stall, Founders PH Bar and LCA's with relocation brackets, qa1 front coilovers with 300lb springs, heater hose mod, umi tunnel mount torque arm with ds loop. ACE Racing 4l60e, 3.42s.
evilz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

If you are going to do a 503, get a good converter and some good tires and see how she does.

Isn't a Revmax converter just a cavalier converter? I wouldn't want to throw any sort of power at it and they aren't going to be efficient. When the $400 you saved lets go and you now need a trans, I'll chuckle a little.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 04-21-2012 at 07:38 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #30
evilz99

chuckle all you want their is a gto on ls1tech local to here that has been running 10s on it for years, but I guess thats not throwing power at it I'll chuckle a lot
99 Z28 A4, Mufflex 4" catback, SLP lid and ram air, bbk 80mm tb, GMS MAS, Ls6 Intake, poly mm's, pacesetter lts and ORY, REVMAX 3600 Stall, Founders PH Bar and LCA's with relocation brackets, qa1 front coilovers with 300lb springs, heater hose mod, umi tunnel mount torque arm with ds loop. ACE Racing 4l60e, 3.42s.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

We can only imagine what's being left on the table. For the money, it is probably a fun converter on a mild setup. I wouldn't want to play with over 400 flywheel hp with one though. Spend a little now or spend a lot later when clutch material ends up in your trans.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
evilz99

whatever dude like I said people running 10s on them for 2 years with no complaints with a **** ton of runs on them with nitrous on top of it means nothing... Not year to measure di*ks or wallets. Just giving opinions on some thing I HAVE and DRIVE not something I never owned...
Last I have to say on the topic OP can make his own decision all I was doing was giving him my experience with them.
I will say this op, make a post on here and ls1tech asking people who HAVE them what their opinions are before you listen to people with no experiance with the product... if you search on ls1tech you will find numerous articles, videos and opinions/reviews on them that can help you make your decision. Also they are a sponsor on ls1tech and give discounts...
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Since you wanna talk bout you drive and run, I cut 1.59s with a circle D, what do you cut on your revmax?

My trans ran remarkably cool, cruising sat around 150* area and never ran hot after a few back to back passes, what does your trans run at?

During the many times I had changed the trans fluid for issues unrelated to the torque converter, it always was nice shiny red without flakes or any hint of burnt fluid, any insight on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilz99 View Post
whatever dude like I said people running 10s on them for 2 years with no complaints with a **** ton of runs on them with nitrous on top of it means nothing... Not year to measure di*ks or wallets. Just giving opinions on some thing I HAVE and DRIVE not something I never owned...
Last I have to say on the topic OP can make his own decision all I was doing was giving him my experience with them.
I will say this op, make a post on here and ls1tech asking people who HAVE them what their opinions are before you listen to people with no experiance with the product... if you search on ls1tech you will find numerous articles, videos and opinions/reviews on them that can help you make your decision. Also they are a sponsor on ls1tech and give discounts...
AFAIK, that statement refers to one guy in a GTO correct? I am not trying to bash the product cause obviously they work great for stock to mid power range cars. However, I have not come across one behind a decently quick car that repeatedly cuts good 60fts.

Essentially, thats why you want a nice verter, they don't come with a ring welded to a stock verter that had been tweaked to stall higher. For the record, I ran a mystery cheapo stall with a similar setup... ring welded to it etc, and never cut as good 60fts as the new circle D that replaced it.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #34
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilz99 View Post
I understand what you are trying to say. I have experience with $1k converters, $700 converters, and $300 cavalier converters. I know that for the money they are fun for mild builds. I know that they won't perform as well as a quality converter because they simply can't. I know they weld an adapter ring and drop in a new stator. I know the lockup clutch is smaller than stock. I know that sooner or later, they all will fail. I know that they are inefficient on the top end. I know this because I've been through it. I strongly suggest against that route because I know its the wrong way to do things.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #35
evilz99

Like I said before. I made my last syaement on the product. But yes my trans fluid is always clear shiny red, trans stay at 150 to 160 degrees even hot lapping it 4 times. As for 60 ft first of all let's compare suspension than let's compare how many runs you have in Yur car since i have only been tk the track once in mine then let's compare Rims and tires and every other difference between sixtys. Like I have said twice now. I'm not measuring dicks. This my last comment on the topic. I can care less what everyone else uses. And yes I would say they ate mild to low power converters. But seeing that this guy is trying tk fo 12s I would say he not trying to make huge power and maybe thays all he can afford rogjt now. If i was making upwards of 500 HP I may consider a different route but rigjt now I am way within the limits of a revmax. And will most likely stay there.
Think thw topic has been dragged behind a truck long enough now so why not ne mature and let it go. I am.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

What if you mods down the road that warrant a need to hold 500+ fwhp? It gives you room to grow. So speaking from experience yet again, if he is on a budget and is doing a mild build he should stick with a lesser expensive converter. I still don't like the fact that its a cavalier converter. I have no problem discussing this as it helps open up all sides of the spectrum that are open for interpretation. You have your opinion and I have mine, anyone can read both and gather their own opinion. I am done with throwing inferior parts at my car and having to redo things. I try to save people time and money by having them do things right the first time. If it requires more money, then take your time and save more money until you can do it the best way. Its worth the wait in the long run.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
grazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
What if you mods down the road that warrant a need to hold 500+ fwhp? It gives you room to grow. So speaking from experience yet again, if he is on a budget and is doing a mild build he should stick with a lesser expensive converter. I still don't like the fact that its a cavalier converter. I have no problem discussing this as it helps open up all sides of the spectrum that are open for interpretation. You have your opinion and I have mine, anyone can read both and gather their own opinion. I am done with throwing inferior parts at my car and having to redo things. I try to save people time and money by having them do things right the first time. If it requires more money, then take your time and save more money until you can do it the best way. Its worth the wait in the long run.
So Diplomatic
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #38
evilz99

O my god dude let it go lol. Both points have been made several times. It's done lol. Is this like a battle for last word or something? If so, than you can come to my birthday party and I'm telling mommy that you looked at me. Lmao. Let it die bro. It's not that serious.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
townsend

woaaah crap guys calm down lol. i feel bad for essentially jacking griffs thread about his/my new car.

and im not trying to go cheap on anything. i am saying i want to buy quality stuff one time..not cheap s*** thats gonna leave me hanging on the side of 78 coming home from englishtown or something. cost effective in that way, by no means cheap.

and once again thank you all for your input...

i think im gonna look into a circle d and maybe buy yours LTb1ow if its not gonna cost as much as a new one to have it restalled etc. i still need to get the cash together for that lt1 shortblock if you didnt get rid of it yet.

NEW NEWS: no skimping or anything. i want this car to run great and not worry about driving it anywhere, yet be nasty and fast and nasty fast. so im gonna be asking alot of questions in the tech section and doing alot of research. convinced the wife that spending more and doing it right the first time beats building a whimp and spending more next year...
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #40
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

2500 converter is a waste of time and money lol. go with a 3200-3600. Youll be very happy. I have a 3400 in the vette right now and it drives like stock @ part throttle and cruise. I plan on going with a 4000-4200 soon and if i remember correctly, a good rule of thumb is your trans temp shouldnt be more than 100degrees over the ambient (outside temp) except for maybe when its really cold outside lol

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day

Last edited by 98tadriver; 04-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tadriver View Post
2500 converter is a waste of time and money lol. go with a 3200-3600. Youll be very happy. I have a 3400 in the vette right now and it drives like stock @ part throttle and cruise. I plan on going with a 4000-4200 soon
Buy my circle D
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Buy my circle D
lol cool name! sorry bud I spoke with chris a lil while back, and will be having one built for my specific application.

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day

Last edited by 98tadriver; 04-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #43
Slow-V6

I love my Revmax 3200 converter.. My 95 Firehawk has gone 13.4 with a 1.9 60' and the only mod is the converter, Airfoil, and MSD Coil. Have had it in the car for almost 3 yrs now. I think I paid a little under 300.00 shipped for it. You get what you pay for and I sure as hell did. I would buy a Revmax for any car I would want to do a Converter in. The only regret is that I didnt go with a 3600 converter. If we dont sell the car I will probably do Headers, and maybe gears and it will be a solid 12 second car. Hell if I could cut a 1.6 60' it would be a 12 second car the way it stands now. Every thread I read on Tech about revmax are only positive experiences. I did alot of research on them when I got my converter before they became LS1tech sponsors. Mine was purchased on ebay after I called them personally and told them what I wanted and what I had planned for the car.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
woaaah crap guys calm down lol. i feel bad for essentially jacking griffs thread about his/my new car.

and im not trying to go cheap on anything. i am saying i want to buy quality stuff one time..not cheap s*** thats gonna leave me hanging on the side of 78 coming home from englishtown or something. cost effective in that way, by no means cheap.

and once again thank you all for your input...

i think im gonna look into a circle d and maybe buy yours LTb1ow if its not gonna cost as much as a new one to have it restalled etc. i still need to get the cash together for that lt1 shortblock if you didnt get rid of it yet.

NEW NEWS: no skimping or anything. i want this car to run great and not worry about driving it anywhere, yet be nasty and fast and nasty fast. so im gonna be asking alot of questions in the tech section and doing alot of research. convinced the wife that spending more and doing it right the first time beats building a whimp and spending more next year...
The fact is that the more power you make the more **** breaks. If you want to drive your car anywere then leave it alone and dont start dumping money into it. Once you start with H/C/I, Big stall, ect then **** will start breaking.

You could have the best converter, most expensive converter known to man but then your tranny goes out or the rear end breaks. The more power you make the greater the risk of you breaking something.

Also for your train of thought if you want the so called best converter for your car and not skimp out then get a Yank converter.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 05-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #45
townsend

Essentially why im fixing the bugs now and building a new motor and trans

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing