Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Whoboy580

Atco needs hand

I don't know if anyone else got this letter but I figured I would post a link for you guys to read.

http://www.atcoraceway.com/newsflash.php

Let's help to keep the track going.
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
jam01

thanks for sharing, i haven't been there in a few years. i guess its time to ignore the wife.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
BullittSVT

Will be attending in the Spring many times if my car stops giving me problems.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Blacdout96

We had a considerable drop in the fan base on all events and car count on open street night.

Well then don't let the junior dragsters and professional dragsters on the track those nights. Sucks to plop down some money and only get three runs sometimes. (though, before I get flamed, there are nights where things move smoothly and get numerous runs in, but I haven't seen that much in the past couple years, at least the nights I go.)

I go to open night to see the dude from down the street bring his 1975 Lincoln continental rock down the track ( Or better yet those two big rigs that race each other ,and the one gets loaded on a trailer, and the other tows it away lol.), not something you know is going to run the times between such and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 12-23-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Slow-V6

I will be gettings some gift cards!!

This is a big deal.. When I was stationd in Virginia beach the closest track was 75 miles away.. It sucked having to drive 1 1/2 hrs to and from the track and it really sucked when you broke and had to limp back to the beach or get towed.. Its a very nice thing to have a drag strip 10 miles away now..
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 12-24-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Whoboy580

Blacdout96 I know what your saying about the runs and sometimes it happens were you only get three runs in. There nothing Atco can do to increase that unless they open up earlier. I have gone to the track got 7 runs in some nights and other nights 3 runs. Open night is open night it does suck having to watch stupid stuff run but if they limit what can run the price goes up.

I made a suggestion to Joe about running a program like Auto Zone Rewards. I said how about a program where if you come to the track to watch or race 7 times the 8th time is half price.

Let just hope everything works out and the big racers like Kasper Korner, J&E Performance, etc all give back to the sport.

Last edited by Tru2Chevy; 12-28-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: removing shop's name
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Sprayed 99

What burns me and anyone with a somewhat fast (11.50 or quicker car) is on the street nights the track prep is absolute sh#t!!!! how the hell are you gonna increase people coming when the track is now known to have questionable traction on these nites? i remember years past during the last couple months of the season you'd have fast cars coming to try and run new best times. anymore it seems that there are traction issues all the way down the dam track some nites. few years back it was hit or miss if you'd have a good track to race on. now days the only nites it seems the track is prepped is if there is an event. now guys racing stick shift cars the prep is even more critical. especially if your car is runnin 10's or faster. hell our cam only cars couldn't hook for anything the last few weeks. one nite sweet 99z got sideways when he hit 4th at close to 100 mph!!! WTF?

i understand that the track needs to make money and remain proffitable. just put the racers saftey first and prep the dam track. i have seen several crashes this year at atco due to poor prep.

and whoever the fat gray and miserable tech guy is needs to be fired. that dude is ignorant and doesn't know his wiener from a spark plug. the other tech official,Bill is super cool and knows his stuff. they need someone else like bill to represent atco like he does. the fat guy.....not so much. just my .02
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
shepss217

i went to 3 of the 10.5 outlaw events and 2 times the weather was ****** the other time it was a little hot but no reason to cancel the event but they did, i was pissed after that one
shepss217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
shepss217

i wouldn't be upset if they raised admission $5 it still would only be $20 to run which is still affordable but after reading the email it sounds like that might be coming anyway
shepss217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepss217 View Post
i wouldn't be upset if they raised admission $5 it still would only be $20 to run which is still affordable but after reading the email it sounds like that might be coming anyway
I'd bet people would pay $40 if it meant that the track prep would be spot on.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Blacdout96

Poeple have been saying that since they repaved, it doesn't feel the same, and you just can't hook up as well. Can anybody back this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Slow Z
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Poeple have been saying that since they repaved, it doesn't feel the same, and you just can't hook up as well. Can anybody back this up?
I've always hooked very hard at Atco especially after they repaved it... Do you run on street nights in the "street lanes"? They put up cones to keep you from lining up in the groove which essentially means you're racing on a completely unprepped surface. They don't want the guys with street tires ripping up all the rubber.

I don't think a lot of people realize that slick/drag radial cars should get into the lane closest to jackson road as they take the cones down for those cars.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
1984camaroz28

Atco is the best track in NJ HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z View Post
I've always hooked very hard at Atco especially after they repaved it... Do you run on street nights in the "street lanes"? They put up cones to keep you from lining up in the groove which essentially means you're racing on a completely unprepped surface. They don't want the guys with street tires ripping up all the rubber.

I don't think a lot of people realize that slick/drag radial cars should get into the lane closest to jackson road as they take the cones down for those cars.
I was gunna say I didn't have a problem hooking but I don't really make much power. Still, love the place.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
Whoboy580

I had no problems hooking with Drag Radials, but I am no pro or raced before they paved it. I hope everything works out. We should set up a NJFboa street night meet up night, on one of the open nights. I will take charge of that. If anyone is interested in that PM ME and I will take your name down and send a message out and post a topic on which night.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Sprayed 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
The days the track is prepped well it hooks like glue and will hook anything thrown at it. I am grateful to have one of the fastest 1/4 mile tracks in the country in my backyard. The one night i watched the outlaw 10.5 cars and a few ran 190 mph+ in the 1/8!

Days when there was a track rental before the night session of street cars i have seen a few times where the track was great early from the rental prep.....only to have it go to hell later on in the night. Whether in the street lanes(cones out) or in the slick tire lanes(which they remove the cone and let you run the groove) the track surface was bad those days. and thats where atco and joe sway need to realize people not only spend money to run, but also other expenses to run their car(n20, race fuel, oil, tires, etc..)
and to allow it to be unsafe like that is b.s. some of the nights the street cars ran there were a few backhalved race cars with huge ass tires running and even those cars struggled with traction. its not every night the prep is bad, but i have seen it more and more the last couple years.

i'd be willing to pay more to run. its only fair to joe, he needs to turn a profit as well. With the economy in the toilet right now it would be a dam shame to see a place with a long history and excelent racing surface to go under, be sold to make houses or worse yet made into a shopping center. i have been goin to atco over 35 years now, not to mention my father and uncles had raced since the track opened in the early 60's.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
WayFast84

By lane closest to Jackson road you mean left lane? What is everyone's opinion on going through the water box?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #18
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Kinda hard to avoid the water box at atco...
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #19
WayFast84

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmanvette75 View Post
Kinda hard to avoid the water box at atco...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Sprayed 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
By lane closest to Jackson road you mean left lane? What is everyone's opinion on going through the water box?
yes the lanes closest to jackson road are for slick and drag radial cars. and its impossible to go around the burn out box.......
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
BullittSVT

Wasn't there something about one of the lanes getting suspiciously lower times?

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
k_garretson23
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullittSVT View Post
Wasn't there something about one of the lanes getting suspiciously lower times?
I've always seem to get my lowest times in the left lane (left as if you were going down the track)

2002 Trans Am Ws-6 M6:
bolt-on's-tick-monster-UMI-
k_garretson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #23
elle

Doesn't Jackson Rd run behind the burnout boxes? How is one lane closer to the road??????

I love Atco and have never had problems there. I only attend on race days and not on TnT days.

I'm not sure any track has great prep on T n T days/nights.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Staging lanes brah....
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
Whoboy580

Well I e mail Atco and told them a few things that as a customer they could improve on. Traction being the biggest problem I see people saying this is what Joe from Atco said.

Tom, Maybe what they need to understand that Atco is the utilized for drag racing more than any track in the country. Everyday we have a track rental or a drag racing event or even street the entire track is sprayed both lanes end to end side to side. the nature ofd the vehicles being run is what changes the conditiuons. if there are 30 or 40 front wheel drive street tire cars going down the track it efeects the traction. THe trouble is every car is different. if you want to test a 10.5 outlaw car on a regular friday nite you have to detune it to get down. now take junior dragsters and bikes who always run the inside grove on T & T . i am sure you understand my point we touch up balled spots as needed.. I also know my competition and Atco is prepped better than any of them.
THanks
JJS.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing