Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Iroc-z86

so there is a little oil....

well i got a new carb today, demon 650, perfect match for the motor. i was getting the timing corrected, then boom. oil shot out from the crank and is all over the front of the motor and the guy who was timing it for me. it stayed running and i got it home, but there is alot of oil dripping from the front and rear seals. ugh. finally get the car running ok and this **** happens.

not to mention the car has a huge vac leak somewhere because it idles at 1300 rpm no matter what is adjusted. i think its the intake manifold, but if the crank bearing is shot then i guess im out of a motor

2011 Camaro - 2lt/rs red jewel tincoat, m6 - SOLD

2014 Camaro SS - bolt ons

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Iroc-z86

update: the crank bearing is ok thank god, just leaks when gets hot.

ok, it still idles at 1300+ rpm. it has brand new demon carb which i got proffessionally adjusted, timing is dead on, it doesnt seem that the intake is leaking anywhere, i used carb cleaner to test that. does anyone have any ideas?? i jsut dont understand why it wont idle any lower, the guy who tuned the carb said it could possibly be that the intake to head gaskets could be leaking?

any infor would be great thanks.

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Old 05-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

the throttle plates in the carb arent drilled at all are they?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-z86 View Post
update: the crank bearing is ok thank god, just leaks when gets hot.
Umm...any idea why? That's not really a good thing.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Perhaps some kind of pressure build-up in the pan finding the weak point? PCV system working ok?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Iroc-z86

the carb is fine, nothing is drilled that isnt supposed to be. its a brand new carb right out of the box.

as far as the bearing, well it wasnt leaking before, i had it running for 10 min and it was fine, there is no play in the crank pulley. I dont know why is just blew out and now is fine.

The pcv is not hooked up, i just have a breather there because the new carb does not have a vac port for the pcv valve.

Oh and since the new carb, the engine has been getting really hot really fast, the fans keep it cool but it gets hotter a lot faster than it ever did. and it seems like it might be too hot. i cant give you a temp readout because the gauge is messed up. Maybe its because its actually running correctly??

Thank for the input guys

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-z86 View Post
the carb is fine, nothing is drilled that isnt supposed to be. its a brand new carb right out of the box.

as far as the bearing, well it wasnt leaking before, i had it running for 10 min and it was fine, there is no play in the crank pulley. I dont know why is just blew out and now is fine.

The pcv is not hooked up, i just have a breather there because the new carb does not have a vac port for the pcv valve.

Oh and since the new carb, the engine has been getting really hot really fast, the fans keep it cool but it gets hotter a lot faster than it ever did. and it seems like it might be too hot. i cant give you a temp readout because the gauge is messed up. Maybe its because its actually running correctly??

Thank for the input guys

the PCV valve helps with keeping oil in the motor ( front and rear seals ) how it works is the PCV creates a negative on the back side of the seals and when you disconnect it ( THE PVC ) some motors with 100 thousand miles will leak pretty good in some cases -- you will need to find another way to conect it to the manifold if their is no power brakes in the car -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Iroc-z86

ok so that solves that problem, i have to figure out a way to connect it. The car does have power brakes can i just tap into that line?

anyone have any idea about the idle?

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

What carb has no vaccum ports? I thought they all had a 3/8 port.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
What carb has no vaccum ports? I thought they all had a 3/8 port.
thazt is nore than likely his idle problem - it has the port in the back and he missed it --- jz
Old 05-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
thazt is nore than likely his idle problem - it has the port in the back and he missed it --- jz
Man, I'd think you'd hear that leak. LOL

Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
DieselKickYoAss4Sure

dude put your hands over the crab if the engine stalls you don't have a massive vacuum leak if it stays running you need to recheck and find your leak. I'm willing to bet if its not idling below 13 you have a leak somewhere. take all the vacuum lines off the engine and plug them to make sure its not any of the other components in the car. i hate running PVC to the engine Cu's you suck in all that nasty **** and gas coming out of your crank case they sell PVC vacuum pumps! but i have a feeling you missed your PVC vacuum port and you for some reason cant hear it!
1995 Pontiac bonneville daily

Last edited by DieselKickYoAss4Sure; 05-17-2007 at 10:52 AM.
DieselKickYoAss4Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Iroc-z86

the carb only has one 3/8 vac port in the rear,and i need that for the power brakes. I used carb cleaner and i soaked the entire intake and carb area and the idle didnt move. if there was a vac leak it should have dropped a little.

the only other thing that i was told is the throttle plates are open too much. I dont have time today but i will check that out tomorrow and ill check again for any open ports just to be safe.

thanks

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
johnjzjz

start with no throttel cables or trans cables see if it idles than if so one is pulling it open a bit -- jz
Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Iroc-z86

ok, i was messing with it today.. i was messing with the choke which was not hooked up so i took the assembly off the carb and started it, idled at 700. once it warmed up it idled at 900. so the choke was somehow holding it up. that was the first thing i checked before i started the car for the first time, so i dunno, guess it moved or something, but it works for now... the newest problem is the engine is visibly smoking. fun fun. thanks for the help guys

1998 Jimmy - the beater

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning