Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Sandblasting dangers: Silicosis

Do you have an scba if you do sand blast yourself? Silica is very bad, if you didn't know.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Do you have an scba if you do sand blast yourself? Silica is very bad, if you didn't know.
That's why I said playground sand, it's non silica. I have a half and full face respirator, no scba, it's not needed
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
That's why I said playground sand, it's non silica. I have a half and full face respirator, no scba, it's not needed
Not exactly true. Some brands of play sand have silica. Do a quick google search before you buy and spray. Oh, and if you don't already, sift it through window screen and it won't jam the nozzle as often.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Got ya, I see you can buy silica free and you know its bad. ****'s the new asbestos.....
Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Not exactly true. Some brands of play sand have silica. Do a quick google search before you buy and spray. Oh, and if you don't already, sift it through window screen and it won't jam the nozzle as often.
Oh WTF, the nerve of some people. Kids can inadvertently eat/breathe that in. I thought that "playground" meant non-silica Thanks for the heads up
I have a sifting screen already since I have the blasting cabinet. I re-screen the stuff that comes out of the vacuum and hopper before I put it in. I actually think I need to buy another pickup and gun for the cabinet. Last time I used it, it wasn't working properly even though I have gotten the Northern tool "upgrade" setup for it, and I need new nozzles anyway.

Quote:
Got ya, I see you can buy silica free and you know its bad. ****'s the new asbestos.....
Well, now I will definitely be wearing my full face respirator if/when I do it.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Oh WTF, the nerve of some people. Kids can inadvertently eat/breathe that in. I thought that "playground" meant non-silica Thanks for the heads up
kids don't breathe airborne blast dust when they play in a sand box. kinda like asbestos does't hurt you when its around a pipe or on the side of a house. play sand is generally just 'cleaned' sand. silicosis is a bitch.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
kids don't breathe airborne blast dust when they play in a sand box. kinda like asbestos does't hurt you when its around a pipe or on the side of a house. play sand is generally just 'cleaned' sand. silicosis is a bitch.
So the kids just hover about over the sand? They don't pick it up and pour it or fall in it?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
+1. OSHA just released finally the new regulations and they're now live.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

smh. picture beach sand. its damp, it isn't being blasted at high psi and broken into dust. you aren't breathing in dust clouds

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
So the kids just hover about over the sand? They don't pick it up and pour it or fall in it?
I think it's the particle size and dust in the air that's the biggest issue. Breathing it in to your lungs.

Or if you make too much noise

WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
PolarBear

Because sand never dries out, and there is never any dust when kids play.

Right from Quickcrete
Quote:
QUIKRETE® Playsand is not silica free. It is a natural sand – the same as you find on the beach, at lakes and in river beds. QUIKRETE® Play Sand, and practically all other natural sands in the world, including beach, lake and river sand, contain a portion of silica sand. QUIKRETE® Play Sand is safe – it is intended for use primarily in sand boxes. We recommend that dust be controlled by keeping the sand slightly damp, since fine dust of any kind can be mildly irritating
They recommend keeping the dust down with water, SMDH. So there is a risk of people breathing the dust, or they wouldn't mention water at all. You know baby powder used to be "safe" too, until women started getting cancer from it. Smoking was considered safe too, but that's none of my business
Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
The_Bishop
Power Member

Silicosis doesn't just mean silica. Sand is tiny, tiny rocks. When you use it to blast something you make them even tinier *and* airborne. Then you inhale those tiny, tiny, tiny rocks where they migrate into your lungs.

How is this an issue? Well, take a spoon of sand and dump it into a glass of water. Now stir it until it dissolves.

While you're there stirring away for the next 135.65 years, I'll just stop you now and explain that it never (well, never meaning the scale of time as long as you're alive) dissolves. Your body can't get rid of it so it hangs around in your lungs and does horrible things to them.

At the minimum, HEPA level filtration on the mask. Ideally you want a pressurized breathing apparatus to insure that you're not inadvertently sucking any wayward micro-rocks into your lungs.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
+1. OSHA just released finally the new regulations and they're now live.
Oh yeah? That's great to hear. We have been learning about it in school and how NJ has its own law protecting against silicosis.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
The_Bishop
Power Member

Well, they passed a law against Silicosis! So no worries, now right? Since it's illegal?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Well, they passed a law against Silicosis! So no worries, now right? Since it's illegal?
I see hepa filters and wet saws on the job sites now so its a push in the right direction. If someone is breaking the law, a call to osha and that contractor is in some ****. Being educated is good though. Gets you to stop and think before proceeding.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #16
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Lab tech at the one test house, jokingly told me after spending a while in the chamber that sand was bad for my lungs. Thanks buddy!

Sand and dust are nasty crap.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech