Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
JohnG

girls /women

a question for those of you fellas that have a girlfriend / wife : how did you meet ?

as a car nut, I'm having a rough time meeting one that will put up with me talking / thinking about cars most of the time...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
transamkid
14 Second Club

i just broke up with my gf, she didnt like to hang with me and my car buddies. went out with her for a year
-1989 Harley Softail Custom
-2000 Trans Am, M6, WS6 *SOLD* *RIP*
transamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
ryanfx
King of Free

as a general rule of thumb:

Imagine that whenever your GF is with her friends, she instantly starts talking about purses. And whenever she sees a nice purse she talks about it, or whenever she hears anything remotely related to purses, she has to give her opinion on it.

That's what cars are to them. Either you stop talking about them, of find one of those fabled women who actually enjoy them.

p.s if you DO find a woman who is interested in cars.. she's most likely a spy. Proceed with extreme caution.

Last edited by ryanfx; 01-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
as a car nut, I'm having a rough time meeting one that will put up with me talking / thinking about cars most of the time...
All i have to say is good luck with that
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
procamaroz28

i agree w/ alex

BLK 07 CTS M6 2.8
procamaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

My wife knows that I had the Camaro before we started dating

Kidding aside, she's great. Not only does she put up with all the talking about cars that I do, but she puts up with all the stuff that I run around and do with/for this site. I got lucky though - she's into the cars too.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
maroman88
12 Second Club

mine has taken an intrest in cars.... or atleast shes good at pretending.

also we met in middle school ohhhhh like 10 years ago, starting going out feb 03, jr year of HS
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
My wife knows that I had the Camaro before we started dating

Kidding aside, she's great. Not only does she put up with all the talking about cars that I do, but she puts up with all the stuff that I run around and do with/for this site. I got lucky though - she's into the cars too.

- Justin
Maybe we can get her into your car one day....

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

I met her in college.

The purse scenario is a good match. I try to keep the car talk to a minimum. It's actually grown on her a bit, she suggests that we go to cruise nights in the summer.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
mudjnky

I worked with my mother in law and she set us up on a blind date. We started riding quads, moved into dirt bikes, then off road trucks, now cars. Our 68 Camaro is technically hers. Her sister has a 72 Challenger. Car Girls are out there, be patient, you'll find one!
mudjnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Untamed

I could probably write a book on "Compromise" when it comes to marriage and hobbies.

The key, as with all things in life, is moderation - or finding someone who enjoys the same things that you do, without becoming obsessed with it. If she can tolerate your hobbies, and you spend enough time with her doing other things, you'll work out just fine. Likewise, if you both enjoy cars, but have other interests together (and separate) you'll also do fine. You need time apart, doing other things, that you can share later.

Meeting women and getting to know them is a whole different subject. Just remember that you need to enjoy more things than just cars. Sometimes dating is a good chance to try new things - nothing makes a woman smile more than giving her the chance to teach you something new. Walk in her world for a date or two and decide if you have enough interest in her and what she likes, to continue. If all you like and want is to hang out with cars and the people who own them, then your prospects for meeting other women with the same mindset, is diminished.

I complain a lot about marriage, because I'm always compromising. But having said that, married life really isn't that bad as long as you can live in her world as much as you want her in yours.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Featherburner

They're out there. I found one. She is very supportive of my hobby. She is the reason I have the 68 convertible. In passing, I mentioned my boss had a friend that was selling a firebird convertible. She said, "we should go look at it". Well, we came home with it. The thing I don't understand is why she is into cars. Her family never had anything special. Her personal favorite is a 1956 Chevy. Someday one will have to be added to the stable.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
I could probably write a book on "Compromise" when it comes to marriage and hobbies.

The key, as with all things in life, is moderation - or finding someone who enjoys the same things that you do, without becoming obsessed with it. If she can tolerate your hobbies, and you spend enough time with her doing other things, you'll work out just fine. Likewise, if you both enjoy cars, but have other interests together (and separate) you'll also do fine. You need time apart, doing other things, that you can share later.

Meeting women and getting to know them is a whole different subject. Just remember that you need to enjoy more things than just cars. Sometimes dating is a good chance to try new things - nothing makes a woman smile more than giving her the chance to teach you something new. Walk in her world for a date or two and decide if you have enough interest in her and what she likes, to continue. If all you like and want is to hang out with cars and the people who own them, then your prospects for meeting other women with the same mindset, is diminished.

I complain a lot about marriage, because I'm always compromising. But having said that, married life really isn't that bad as long as you can live in her world as much as you want her in yours.
a wise man once told me that marriage should not contain compromise. it instead should be complete sacrifice. it was a very interesting perspective. i wish i saved the lecture.

i met my gf in college. she occasionally researches cars and such to impress me. but then again, i try my best not to talk about cars too much. it should be no different from us being car guys. keep the car talk for us, and the rest for your better half. thats what this forum is for!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

My wife was a friend of a friend type of thing. She rules, let's me play with cars as long as I do stuff around the house. Like that deck I have to build.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 01-18-2008 at 08:44 AM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:

The key, as with all things in life, is moderation - or finding someone who enjoys the same things that you do, without becoming obsessed with it. If she can tolerate your hobbies, and you spend enough time with her doing other things, you'll work out just fine.
I concur. When all I did was talk about and work on a project (mine or others) it became an issue. When all I did was stuff OTHER THAN work on my car it was an issue. Now we are finding the balance and things look good. The past two weekends she told me to go work on the car on Sunday and all was good, but I know that I've gotten all I can get for a little bit so I will be doing other stuff the next few weeks.

As you said- "Everything in moderation".
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
My wife was a friend of a friend type of thing. She rules, let's me play with cars as long as I do stuff around the house. Like that deck I have to build.
I met my wife 8 years ago; her younger sister was a student in the high school I teach at, and we met at a dinner. She was the only person my age at this function and I thought she was waaaaaaaaay outta my league, so I wasn't even trying to hit on her. But, a few days later, her sister came up to me while I was on Cafeteria Duty and gave me Nancy's number, and the rest of the story is history. I don't think I even mentioned I was into cars until our 2nd or third date, and she finally saw my old Monte in pieces in the auto shop at the school a few weeks later.

My wife says she hates my car, but she DID buy the '88 for my 30th Birthday a few years ago. I don't think she hates it that much. There's a time and place for car stuff, and too much car talk is a bad thing. Also, don't build a motor in your garage and swap it in your driveway when your wife is 9 months pregnant with your second child; that's a BAD move (ask me how I know!). That little stunt almost cost me my car a year and a half ago. I was able to smooth things out though, and the car is still here in the garage and running great now. As long as I get stuff done around the house, I can play with my car after everything is done. And now that my son is getting older (he's almost 5) he really enjoys working outside with me on it as well, and riding to cruise nights and such in the summer.

By the way, I've made a lot of compromises to have the car; bartered/traded parts, and scored a lot of good deals to get my car where it is today. Also, I never went overboard with the budget. I was always able to provide for my family, pay my bills, and still have some spare coin to work on the car. The young car guys that spend every last cent they earn on car stuff will regret that when it comes time to buy a house or have a family (ask me how I know that one too!). Unless you make a ridiculous sum of money every year, save $$ for the future first, and spend a little on your car.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...

Last edited by The Fixer; 01-18-2008 at 09:18 AM.
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
JohnG

thanks guys
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
Untamed

When you find the girl you want to marry, make sure you already own the ONE car you'll want for many years to come, because once you're married, you suddenly have other priorities for your money,and it doesn't include car stuff.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
jrsfast84

OK ! Ready ! Buy yourself a wedding ring, women love guys who where wedding rings, they will try to make you cheat on your wife, that you don't have and ah! it works. Have Fun. JR.
jrsfast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
jrsfast84

OH Yeah, Make the move to say hi ,hello or dam you look good too them. By the way i never did that. JR.
jrsfast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
79T/A

Quote:
Also, don't build a motor in your garage and swap it in your driveway when your wife is 9 months pregnant with your second child; that's a BAD move (ask me how I know!).
That's GREAT!!! I can picture it now:

"MY WATER'S BREAKING!!!! WE NEED TO GO!!!!"

"Uh...well...hang on juuuust a second; I've almost got the engine lined up with the motor mounts. I'll get a bolt through there, wash my hands, and we'll get going."

I'm surprised you weren't unconscious from blunt force trauma during the birth of said second child.

Okay, seriously, I've been married for almost five years, and she knew when we got together that I'm an automotive kind of guy. As long as you can both be flexible, cars (Or any other hobby/sport/passion) can work in a serious relationship. The key for us is that out of my two days off, I get to spend one doing whatever I want to do (Work on whatever current project I've got going, shop maintenance, etc.) and the other speding time with the family. That, and not spend EVERY day before or after work wrenching.
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
DrivenZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfx View Post
as a general rule of thumb:

Imagine that whenever your GF is with her friends, she instantly starts talking about purses. And whenever she sees a nice purse she talks about it, or whenever she hears anything remotely related to purses, she has to give her opinion on it.

That's what cars are to them. Either you stop talking about them, of find one of those fabled women who actually enjoy them.

p.s if you DO find a woman who is interested in cars.. she's most likely a spy. Proceed with extreme caution.
WOW that is great analogy and makes perfect sense!
DrivenZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
DrivenZ28

I met my wife way back in high school when I was driving a crappy Nissan Sentra. We never dated or anything back then, I knew I liked her, but I was going out with her friend at the time.

Years go by and we meet again, this time she was hanging out with a different ex of mine, which gave me the opportunity to talk to her. A few months later we were dating and then a few months after that we were married and then a few months after that we have a baby!

As far as the car thing goes, she tolerates it, but is somewhat a fan of nice looking cars, just has no idea about the details. When we started dating I had a 1986 Monte Carlo SS with a 383, nice car, she was too afraid to drive it though. And of course she "made" me buy my Camaro that I have today, even coughing up some of the dough to pay for it...our first big purchase together. She likes being the blonde driving a camaro with the T-Tops off.

I still get the rolling eyes and glazed over look when I talk car stiff with my friend...she just thinks they are pretty...good enough for me!

Plus it was her idea to get our Trailblazer...a chevy girl true to heart!
DrivenZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #24
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

The other day I let out to my lady she will go before the car does. You can figure out where this is going lol.
http://www.fquick.com/firebirdcrazy
firebirdcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Maybe we can get her into your car one day....
yeah, probably the same day we get HIM into his car

Quote:
you think its compromise, but in her eyes shes winning every time...like the last years worth of tuesdays

i met my g/f at our old job and have to be nice because she comes in and reads this...
she either enjoys my interest in cars and has fun at the track or she should change her major to acting because it seems she has fun. another plus is that she enjoys the central guys and the meets with us, as well as getting along with my friends who are also all into cars......she may not be fully converted into a "car girl" yet but she will be lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge