Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
eric-86sc

Title fix. Ct to nj

Got a dilemma with a vehicle I bought, wondering if anyone has a fix for the title I haven't thought of yet. Bought the car from Connecticut but the owner I bought it from lost the title. I've been talking to the last titled owner and he's more than happy to help. The problem is the car is an 84 and after 20 years old, CT will not print another title. Instead they say a registration and bill of sale become the equivalent to a title. Now here in nj I tell the dmv all this amd I have a letterhead backing all this up. The dmv says they won't take the bill of sale and registration, I still need a physical title even though I can't get one. No dmv will not call the ct dmv to find out where the discrepancy is, all that is on me even though all my researching shows I should be able to get a title.

Is there anything else to try and get the car titled here on nj?
eric-86sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
WSex

It's a nightmare. I've turned deals down BC of this. Contact Trenton they will provide you the steps you need to do to resolve the issue
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=816&q=244692

Note: If the vehicle is being sold to someone in another state, you must request a replacement title. Once you have received the duplicate title, complete the transfer section on the reverse side of the title and provide to the buyer of the vehicle.

The seller needs to do this:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/h-6b.pdf

Is this what the seller tried to do?

Last edited by WildBillyT; 10-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
eric-86sc

That's the slip I have in my hands all filled out. Nj won't take that. They say I need the actual physical title. I have a photocopy of the title but they won't take that either. The guy called me from the ct dmv and told me those forms should be equivalent to a title and I have a letterhead stating that but it's no good in nj.

The worst part is I've been to three different dmvs and got different responses from all of them about this issue
Old 10-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
TaKid455

NJ will not accept that. They need a physical title. Case closed. Moving forward you get an Improper Evidence packet from MVC in trenton. 609-292-6500. DO EXACTLY as it says. You get a title in your name. Done. I've done them in little as 4 mos to 6 months. Depends on all factors involved.

You are dealing with afair but still a government agency with blinders. There are no exceptions.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
greenformula92

the guy in CT needs to do what WBT said. Then supply you with the CT title. He needs to go to his DMV and Tell them he's selling to an out of state person and they will print him a title then send to you to title in NJ

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 10-05-2016 at 12:21 PM.
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
zraffz

I called CT DMV one time for this same issue. The girl on the phone told me they no longer issued titles on older vehicles and I explained that in NJ you needed a title. She sent me a new title. Try being nice.

Title was in PO's name though... So you will need them to "sign' it for you.

Last edited by zraffz; 10-05-2016 at 08:22 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
eric-86sc

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll
Be calling ct again and see if I can get somewhere. Or just go through that improper evidence procedure
Old 11-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
eric-86sc

Just thought I would update, just got a title today. Process wasn't too bad actually. Just took a notorized bill of sale and an old registration and a new title was printed no problem. I actually going the instructions how to get the title after a search on the dmv website. After going to freehold/Trenton/Lakewood dmv, I find it amazing that none of those places were able to tell me the fix that was right on the website. Only eatontown actually had supervisors that actually seemed to know their stuff.

Last edited by eric-86sc; 11-07-2016 at 08:08 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge