NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   West Central Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Possible drag racing event on a runway! (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24781)

CALL911 04-03-2007 01:35 PM

Possible drag racing event on a runway!

Well, its still not official yet, but a few guys on base here at McGuire are finalizing the paper work, and the approval to have a drag raccing event on the runway later this summer! From my contact, it sounds like it is only a matter of time before this is approved. Not sure yet if it will only be open to military personell, or to the public. I will keep everyone up to date as more info comes out.

http://i11.tinypic.com/33zcnb6.jpg

WildBillyT 04-03-2007 01:59 PM

Cool! I wonder if we could get PINKS to come out....

CALL911 04-03-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 329976)

I doubt it. From what I understand, we are lucky to have this event at all (although again, it looks promising so far). I highly doubt they will let it get that big.

Jersey_TA 04-03-2007 02:13 PM

Keep me posted :)

1_Hot_SOM_WS6 04-03-2007 02:41 PM

Thats pretty crazy :-P

wgripp 04-03-2007 02:53 PM

I'll definitely go. Just make sure it's before 28 May, because the USAF is sending me to Maxwell AFB.

SteveR 04-03-2007 03:45 PM

Thats awesome! Too bad Fastbird isnt around, he'd be up for it. I'll definately be around for that.

BonzoHansen 04-03-2007 03:47 PM

That pic rules!

My pops was stationed at Lakehurst for years with the Navy Reserve. He says the runway there was the biggest one they had (at that time at least, we're going back 30 years), like 1 mile or something. We also could have run slalom in the huge blimb hangars.

Oh yeah, McGuire open house is May 12-13, for us civilian types.

ChickenLittle 04-03-2007 05:35 PM

that would be great if it could happen

NJSPEEDER 04-03-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 329976)

oh christ i hope not.

ShowtimeSteeleLS1SS 04-03-2007 06:06 PM

"would you agree that you lost that race" Christianson

"Yeah you gave him 20 lengths" Me lol
yeah i would def be in

SteveR 04-03-2007 07:25 PM

I vote Jersey TA vs. KC-10 ::D:

BigAls87Z28 04-03-2007 09:50 PM

I dont know if they will open it to the public? With all the homeland crap, im surprised they would let anyone on to the base.

Bandit 04-03-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 330157)
I dont know if they will open it to the public? With all the homeland crap, im surprised they would let anyone on to the base.

I agree, they would need to run a background checks and inspect every inch of the cars. Would take to much time and cost to much.

I bet it would be for for armed force people only.

BonzoHansen 04-04-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 330013)
Oh yeah, McGuire open house is May 12-13, for us civilian types.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 330157)

http://www.305services.com/main/airshow07/

CALL911 04-04-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveR (Post 330011)
Thats awesome! Too bad Fastbird isnt around, he'd be up for it. I'll definately be around for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 330193)
I agree, they would need to run a background checks and inspect every inch of the cars. Would take to much time and cost to much.

I bet it would be for for armed force people only.

Well, no word on the date yet. I was just told "this summer sometime". As for who it would be open to, there has not been a final word given on that either. I wouldn't be concerned with thinking if you are a civilian you can't get in for something like this. As posted above, they will be letting thousands in for the air show in May (with no passes, or background checks). Its just going to depend on what they decide.

Fastbird is at Scott now, however his APS C5 is still on the east coast in CT. The APS kit is in, however he is still waiting on it to be tuned, and then he'll have to wait till he can get a chance to come back out here and get it. If this event happens early this summer, he might end up breaking it in on the runway.

I'll keep everyone posted as more info for this comes available.

Untamed 04-04-2007 11:54 AM

I think the bigger jet runways are over 8000 ft long. They are for commercial / international airports. I used to do touch-n-go's in Ft Lauderdale flying a Cessna 152. It was like landing a paper airplane on a long driveway - pavement as far as the eye can see.

I'm also skeptical about allowing any sizable number of civilians on an Air Base, unless they were immediate familyu cheering on the AFB guys doing the driving.

Jersey_TA 04-04-2007 12:40 PM

Yeah, I'll definitely be doing this :)

Jersey_TA 04-04-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveR (Post 330091)
I vote Jersey TA vs. KC-10 ::D:

LOL Hmmmmm

Bandit 04-04-2007 12:44 PM

I would think AF base concerns maybe

EMT- ambulance on site
Tow Truck
Clean Up- in case oil down of runway and who will pay for all the above.

Release waivers saying the AF base is not liable for any injuries or damages to those running and watching.

CALL911 04-04-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untamed (Post 330327)
I think the bigger jet runways are over 8000 ft long. They are for commercial / international airports. I used to do touch-n-go's in Ft Lauderdale flying a Cessna 152. It was like landing a paper airplane on a long driveway - pavement as far as the eye can see.

I'm also skeptical about allowing any sizable number of civilians on an Air Base, unless they were immediate familyu cheering on the AFB guys doing the driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 330347)
I would think AF base concerns maybe

EMT- ambulance on site
Tow Truck
Clean Up- in case oil down of runway and who will pay for all the above.

Release waivers saying the AF base is not liable for any injuries or damages to those running and watching.

McGuire has two runways. The main one will probably be the one being used for this event, and it is 10,000 ft. As stated before, it hasn't been stated yet wheather it will be for military personell only, or if it will be open to the public. McGuire has opened several other events to the public, and I fail to see why this event would be any different, but it is theirs to say wheather they will open it to civilians or not. (more to come obviously)

The only way this event would go down, is if everyone signed their life and their car away with the waiver's. This isn't anything different than when you sign a form to go race at Atco or any other dragstrip though. I'm sure the paramedics and fire dept. on base will have to be there as well.

This drag racing event on McGuire's runway has actually happened in the past. Granted it has been more than a few years ago, but none the less it has actually happened before. Just something to keep in mind.

BTW, Jersey T/A, if you or anyone else has seen drag or street cars vs fighter jets taking off, you should know just about any sports car would slaughter a jet in the 1/4 mile. Now taking into consideration that the KC-10's minimum takeoff weight is almost 400,000 lbs compared to the much higher powered to weight ratio fighter, and.... you get the idea :mrgreen:

BonzoHansen 04-04-2007 01:15 PM

That is why carriers have those cool slingshots. :)

Jersey_TA 04-04-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALL911 (Post 330355)
BTW, Jersey T/A, if you or anyone else has seen drag or street cars vs fighter jets taking off, you should know just about any sports car would slaughter a jet in the 1/4 mile. Now taking into consideration that the KC-10's minimum takeoff weight is almost 400,000 lbs compared to the much higher powered to weight ratio fighter, and.... you get the idea :mrgreen:

Oh I know lol :) The T/A isn't scared about racing any jet stationed at Mcguire ;) I've seen a bunch of other cars vs. fighters though.

SteveR 04-04-2007 01:28 PM

hmm.....

jets vs. cars..... jets vs cars..... jetsvscars...... jetcars! yes!

Jersey_TA 04-04-2007 01:40 PM

LOL