NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Multimedia (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   opti spark failing at 6500rpms (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47668)

JerzLT1 10-25-2009 07:47 PM

opti spark failing at 6500rpms

1 Attachment(s)
so as most of you know on my 6th run at the track rental i had some issues and had to be pushed onto a trailer and towed home (thanks to everyone that helped). well my opti spark failed at 6500 rpms going through the traps and this is the after math. MSD cap and rotor are on the way so i should be back at the track within a week

LTb1ow 10-25-2009 07:58 PM

Awesome!

Something to look forward too!

S.J.SLEEPER 10-25-2009 08:25 PM

are you sure that was the fail of the opti and not bad engine part causing it to shatter like that.

LTb1ow 10-25-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 648007)
are you sure that was the fail of the opti and not bad engine part causing it to shatter like that.

Yea like that bad engine that kept blowing trannys... oh wait... :rofl:

JerzLT1 10-25-2009 08:42 PM

are you familiar with the LT1? theres really not anything on the engine that could cause it to fail like that

Blackbirdws6 10-25-2009 09:21 PM

Interested to see how the MSD holds up with your car.

JerzLT1 10-25-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 648027)
Interested to see how the MSD holds up with your car.

as am i, hopefully it works well

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 12:08 AM

DAMN....... i got ripped on while i was away.
YeS , i am a ls1 nuthugger & proud of it. and.............
umm........ for your information there is parts on the engine that could make the opti go bad.

1. bad water pump (not this yours cause it cracked, didn't take a s*** from coolant entering it.)

2. bad seal getting oil into opti ( not your case either)

3. beat cam bearings,beat cam, excessive play causing a high vibration in the opti causing it to shatter. (high rpm you may not feel vibration in the car.) oh wait...... its an lt1.... everything vibrates, rattles, clunks, & knocks !!!

4. could be just old opti and due to heat it came apart.

i dont know the history or the car and what is done to it. if its a stock or old opti very well could do what it did.

hey, and i rather rip my trans out 10 times than replace a outdated, ineffecient , FTL optispark anyday.:rofl:

LTb1ow 10-26-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzLT1 (Post 648058)
as am i, hopefully it works well

Same. Prob be doing that this winter.

JerzLT1 10-26-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 648204)
DAMN....... i got ripped on while i was away.
YeS , i am a ls1 nuthugger & proud of it. and.............
umm........ for your information there is parts on the engine that could make the opti go bad.

1. bad water pump (not this yours cause it cracked, didn't take a s*** from coolant entering it.)

2. bad seal getting oil into opti ( not your case either)

3. beat cam bearings,beat cam, excessive play causing a high vibration in the opti causing it to shatter. (high rpm you may not feel vibration in the car.) oh wait...... its an lt1.... everything vibrates, rattles, clunks, & knocks !!!

4. could be just old opti and due to heat it came apart.

i dont know the history or the car and what is done to it. if its a stock or old opti very well could do what it did.

hey, and i rather rip my trans out 10 times than replace a outdated, ineffecient , FTL optispark anyday.:rofl:

Electric water pump. NEVER heard of oil getting into the opti from the back. you have the same chassis in an LS1 car so everything vibrates, rattles, clunks, and knocks in your car too. the opti had less then 100 miles on it. well see what happens with the new cap and rotor.

BTW didnt you just blow up an LS1? :) its actually a VERY accurate ignition just in a poor location

LTb1ow 10-26-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzLT1 (Post 648210)
Electric water pump. NEVER heard of oil getting into the opti from the back. you have the same chassis in an LS1 car so everything vibrates, rattles, clunks, and knocks in your car too. the opti had less then 100 miles on it. well see what happens with the new cap and rotor.

BTW didnt you just blow up an LS1? :) its actually a VERY accurate ignition just in a poor location

Oh yea? What happens when you go past 7k...? :lol:

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 12:31 AM

well we seen what happens when you go 6500 rpms. maybe the rest of the engine will come apart like the opti @ 7k

and btw (I) didn't blow up my ls1(& its not a ls1)
fpr busted diaphram causing cyinder full of fuel ='s broken rod.

I just blow up transmissions & rears due to the h.p. the almighty
(ls1) puts out.

don't get your painties in a bunch ltnone boy

JerzLT1 10-26-2009 12:32 AM

the PCM ****s out, not the opti. theres people that spin it to 10k with aftermarket computers

LTb1ow 10-26-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 648212)
well we seen what happens when you go 6500 rpms. maybe the rest of the engine will come apart like the opti @ 7k

and btw (I) didn't blow up my ls1(& its not a ls1)
fpr busted diaphram causing cyinder full of fuel ='s broken rod.

I just blow up transmissions & rears due to the h.p. the almighty
(ls1) puts out.

don't get your painties in a bunch ltnone boy

Your car run yet? :lol:

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 12:34 AM

on a serious note.... what brand cap & rotor was on it?
if your pulling car thast kind of r's you should be using a piece of s*** aftermarket replacement part. oem gm part or msd/accel.
not a autobone or notsoadvanced auto chinese part

LTb1ow 10-26-2009 12:35 AM

It was a GM unit.

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzLT1 (Post 648213)
the PCM ****s out, not the opti. theres people that spin it to 10k with aftermarket computers

and with aftermarket crank trigger style kits.

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 12:36 AM

yeah it runs, just doesn't move !!!
it'll be back on its bumper soon

LTb1ow 10-26-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 648219)
yeah it runs, just doesn't move !!!
it'll be back on its bumper soon

Ahaha... sure. I bet a vette could embarrass you. :moon:

:rofl:

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTs1ow (Post 648220)
Ahaha... sure. I bet a vette could embarrass you. :moon:

:rofl:

yeah i think a lt1 vette got me covered

and yeah i lied...... car doesn't run, car's on the lift and just yanked the trans out and the carrier out.

again..... workin on that pos LS of mine

JerzLT1 10-26-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 648215)
on a serious note.... what brand cap & rotor was on it?
if your pulling car thast kind of r's you should be using a piece of s*** aftermarket replacement part. oem gm part or msd/accel.
not a autobone or notsoadvanced auto chinese part

yes it was a full GM unit, because it was just the rotor that went im going to throw a MSD cap and rotor on it (the metal piece is bolted to the rotor rather then using plastic rivets) and see how that works, if it happens again then i know i have a problem and ill go from there. i dont buy cheap parts :) i spend too much on my car to cheap out somewhere

Edit: i know i should probably replace the whole unit but i can have it out in 10 mins (literally) so it going in and out is no big deal to me.

S.J.SLEEPER 10-26-2009 01:22 AM

you should check for excessive play on the camshaft before reinstallin it.

BigAls87Z28 10-26-2009 01:56 AM

WHOA!! Our Ignition parts are Wells units.

sweetbmxrider 10-26-2009 07:13 AM

i'd like to see how the msd holds up too. kinda sucks it blew apart cause my rotor screws have red loctite on them :-?

Stupercharged 10-28-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzLT1 (Post 648210)
its actually a VERY accurate ignition just in a poor location

He is correct Opti is a great ignition system the only problem us LT1 guys have is its in the worst location possible making it a pain in the ass. If we didn't have to remove half the things in the front of the engine i'd say it would be considered pretty damn efficient