NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Alternator (whats a good brand)? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65637)

97Formula 12-01-2014 07:34 AM

Alternator (whats a good brand)?

I checked tte dealer and they only can get a reman acdelco unit and it's $229 + core. Right now it seems I have really high volts on cold start (wondering if this is related to my strange cold start issue). Volt gauge is slightly over the line after 13 on the gauge. Volts do come down as it warms up and is consistent (stays between 13 and that line).

My current alternator is supposed to be new (toughone 91411). The warranty is done. So if anyone knows where can I get a new genuine acdelco alternator I appreciate it. Thanks!

TaKid455 12-01-2014 07:37 AM

You are better ff having yours rebuilt buy a good local auto electric place. Unless you get Bosch and a select others, most are Chinese junk. Delco would be a good choice too.

sweetbmxrider 12-01-2014 07:45 AM

Most cars run around 13.8-14.2 volts.

ThoR294 12-01-2014 07:57 AM

hook up a volt meter and really test your alternator. that gauge isn't worth jack on your dash lol.

I personally go with A1Cardone... had good luck with their stuff so far, better than stuff from advance auto, oreilys, etc.

97Formula 12-01-2014 08:17 AM

I'll see what the voltmeter says.

Meanwhile I found 3351050 and 88877260. Listed as new for $129. Is this a genuine gm part or am I taking a chance on a knockoff?

LTb1ow 12-01-2014 09:13 AM

What is wrong with your alternator....?

97Formula 12-01-2014 11:54 AM

Seems like very high volts on the volt gauge on dash (on a cold start). I also have a slight RPM surge immediately after cold start (I have another thread for that).

I will have to confirm the actual volts with a volt meter later on.

ThoR294 12-01-2014 01:55 PM

it will be higher on a cold start, since its not hot yet.

greenformula92 12-01-2014 03:02 PM

Check rock auto. They typically have new acdelco stuff either in stock or it will ship direct from ac delco

97Formula 12-01-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenformula92 (Post 912165)
Check rock auto. They typically have new acdelco stuff either in stock or it will ship direct from ac delco

Thanks....that's where I originally found these part numbers.

But if a higher voltage is ok and won't damage anything before warm-up I should be ok. I'll still try the volt meter next time I do a cold start.

Dudbird113 12-01-2014 05:57 PM

Got a reman delco remy from advanced auto for 120 i believe. Been holding up fine for a year and a half

BigAls87Z28 12-02-2014 12:43 AM

Spend the time and money and have the system tested properly. Putting a voltmeter to the thing won't put a proper load on the system to test if it will hold up to the demand of the vehicle. Don't spend money on parts you don't need.
AC Delco is a fancy name on a box. Don't be fooled.

Pampered-Z 12-03-2014 02:02 PM

Are you sure your battery is holding a good charge when it sits?

If after being check you need to replace. Talk with Josh. I put allot on my alt. Fuel pumps, lost of gauges/lights, 3rd fan etc. and my stock alt had issues at long idles or keeping the batt fully charged after repeated starts between hot laps. Josh had mine rebuilt to "his specs". I forget the details, probabaly up'd the amps a bit, but I never had an issue again.

BonzoHansen 12-03-2014 08:37 PM

I've never been let down by napa gold

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 912178)
Spend the time and money and have the system tested properly. Putting a voltmeter to the thing won't put a proper load on the system to test if it will hold up to the demand of the vehicle. Don't spend money on parts you don't need.

i did love that yummy auto bone alt that fell apart on us this summer in 40 miles. woot!

greenformula92 12-04-2014 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 912178)

Is this a suggestion that Duralast is as good as AC Delco? :bertstare:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 912224)
i did love that yummy auto bone alt that fell apart on us this summer in 40 miles. woot!

Point proven

ThoR294 12-04-2014 06:39 AM

Yeah my GF's mom's 03 ford focus' alternator just took a dump. I was forced to do it at 7PM. Guess where we got it from? ADVANCED AUTO.

Now she's got a grinding noise when she turns the wheel all the way.... oh and its coming from the brand new alt

lolz wonder how many miles till it dies....

BigAls87Z28 12-05-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 912224)
I've never been let down by napa gold

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenformula92 (Post 912235)
Is this a suggestion that Duralast is as good as AC Delco? :bertstare:

Point proven

AC Delco is a logo. Duralast is a logo
Both of us use Remy to remanufacture. We use them for all our domestic alternators and starters as well as our new units.
If you had problems, I feel bad for ya, son, but I sell tons of alternators and starters, and yours ain't one.

I will put my alternators against anything from Napa or any other rip-off parts store that thinks a logo means everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 912237)
Yeah my GF's mom's 03 ford focus' alternator just took a dump. I was forced to do it at 7PM. Guess where we got it from? ADVANCED AUTO.

Now she's got a grinding noise when she turns the wheel all the way.... oh and its coming from the brand new alt

lolz wonder how many miles till it dies....

Grinding noise coming when she turns the wheel, and the alternator is making noise? Sounds like a PS pump issue to me. And, surprise surprise, it's a Ford.
I don't know much about Advance and who does their stuff, so I cannot speak for the quality.

greenformula92 12-05-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 912273)
AC Delco is a logo. Duralast is a logo
Both of us use Remy to remanufacture. We use them for all our domestic alternators and starters as well as our new units.
If you had problems, I feel bad for ya, son, but I sell tons of alternators and starters, and yours ain't one.

I will put my alternators against anything from Napa or any other rip-off parts store that thinks a logo means everything.

Since the OP requested info on a new part and did not say he wanted a remaned unit I responded in the context of new units only.

Remans are a crap shoot across the board. Sometimes they work like new, sometimes they are pretty close and every once in a while they don't work at all. I'm not saying auto zone sells crap parts. I think the quality on remaned parts in chain stores is pretty even across the board, However in my opinion new is the way to go if you plan on keeping something forever.

You can say I'm throwing out money or whatever you would like to say but in the end I will put what I feel like is a quality part on my car and you will do the same with yours and the OP will do with his. It is all open to opinion and everyone's individual experience.

BigAls87Z28 12-06-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenformula92 (Post 912275)
Since the OP requested info on a new part and did not say he wanted a remaned unit I responded in the context of new units only.

We also offer brand new units made by Remy.

Quote:

Remans are a crap shoot across the board. Sometimes they work like new, sometimes they are pretty close and every once in a while they don't work at all.
There is a difference between remanufactured and rebuilt. Remans only reuse the casing but get all new internals while a rebuilt replaces the failed parts and/or common issue problems.
Rebuilt units tend to be cheaper and offer shorter warranty.

Quote:

I'm not saying auto zone sells crap parts. I think the quality on remaned parts in chain stores is pretty even across the board, However in my opinion new is the way to go if you plan on keeping something forever.

You can say I'm throwing out money or whatever you would like to say but in the end I will put what I feel like is a quality part on my car and you will do the same with yours and the OP will do with his. It is all open to opinion and everyone's individual experience.
Sure, everyone wants the best parts for their car, but I've been in this business long enough to know that some things aren't worth the coin.

NastyEllEssWon 12-14-2014 07:04 PM

whats the price difference between a remanned alt and a new one anyway? if its only like 20 bucks and youre not hurting for cash...always buy new.

97Formula 05-04-2015 07:50 PM

Ok....I finally got myself a volt meter after getting a new battery.

The reading when left sitting overnight -- 12.5 V
Cold engine -- 14.6 to 14.7V (volt gauge is still on or slightly above the 3/4 mark)
Warm/hot engine around 14V (volt gauge is between 13V and the 3/4 mark)

Based on these readings, I think my alternator is in good shape (as long as 14.7V is ok when cold)...

LTb1ow 05-05-2015 07:53 AM

Yes, those are good numbers

MyFirstZ 05-05-2015 09:13 AM

I would not replace that alternator.

BigAls87Z28 05-05-2015 08:58 PM

Suggest you have someone do a proper load test on the system so that you can make sure.