View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #79
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbanditZ28 View Post
A few months back I was watching autoline detroit and I could have sworn they mentioned that GM sells a lot of cars in Korea. And I thought I heard that their Buick line was popular in some Asian country. I was never under the impression that GM had trouble selling outside of the country, unless things drastically changed over the last few months, which wouldn't be surprising. I always thought GM cars were actually more popular in foreign countries than they are here. At least that is what I have read in some media websites or watched on tv.
GM now sells more cars outside of the US then in the US.

But there are major restrictions to that.
In Japan, GM or any other big auto maker outside of the Japanese have massive amounts of restrictions on building, or selling vehicles in that country.
In China, if you want to sell cars in thier country, you have to team up with one of thier companies in a joint venture and share profit.
Western Europe, there are a lot of financial restrictions on importing cars, which is why GM, years ago, purchased Adam Opel and later on, Saab. GM is also making some headway in Eastern Europe, where there are NO restrictions! They just opend up a 300million dollar plant in Russia, and the Chevy Lacetti just surpased the Ford Focus as the #1 selling car in Russia.

There is a lot of hope for GM if they can make it out of this alive. Its all about surviving the next year or two. Not only do they have the UAW thing kicking in, but also a massive title wave of product that they are ready to launch, several new advanced powertrain set ups, the Volt, and with all the pent up demand for a new car that should explode on the market, anyone still around to enjoy the wave will be happy.
America can make back that 25 billion quickly from all 3 automakers. I wouldnt hold my breatho n that 700 billion...