View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #34
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
With 3.08 gears and an open posi, it was hard to spin one tire. With 3.73 gears and a posi, the tires can be spun at will.

What force increased that now overcomes the resistance of two tires by changing gears?

The horse power did not change, nor did the engines foot lbs of torque rating at the flywheel. But the torque at the back axle has most definitely changed.

So yes, gears change torque.
So do you gain power from gears like you stated earlier or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Its just a posi and gears that are causing:

- More hp/torque to the rear at launch due to the gear change.

- More resistance to wheel spin due to the Eaton Truetrac, which in turn puts more stress on the drive-line components (like LCA bushings and T/A bushing).

- Mild hp increase due to tune and exhaust.

So if you dynoed your car before the gears and dynoed after the gears you would have more tq at the rear wheels after the gear install? If you have more power at the rear end then you have more power at the motor as well! I had 3.23's in my v6 and also had a 3.73 and a 4.10 gear rear end in it and it put down the same tq with all 3 rear ends.

I am thinking that with a lower gear there are more teeth which makes it get up to speed faster with less effort from the motor! I got the best gas miles in my V6 with the 4.10 gear rear end. I didnt have to downshift to a lower gear on the highway to pass a car, and I could just leave it in second gear at a light and take off like that.

Wheel hop is not spinning tires!! If you could spin tires at will with your new rear then why are you complaining that everytime you try to do a burnout or just get on it the car wheel hops? Get the supporting suspension mods to fix the issue or better tires! Its that simple! You have to pay to play. My 02 T/A wheel hops while doing burnouts so I dont do burnouts in it! I already broke 1 rear end and it was probably due to me wheel hopping at the track!
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 04-24-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote