View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
86blackbetty

OK this is my UPDATE..... thanks for the info guys....so me and my friend ..we take a look at the rotor and notice the bolts holding the caliper where actually hitting the inner backside of the rotor...the bolt was actually grinding off....Also the caliper bracket was flush with the front side of the rotor....that had to the the reason it would squeal so hard making a left turn.

(my car is a 1986 trans am....with a 1989 formula rear end disc) I tell him to call the autoparts store so i can use his discount...he call to have a new set of rotors replaced for the rear...i go ahead and give him the part # for the rear rotors....(he has the guy on speaker) the guy said we dont have that part# for the rear we have another....WTF!!!...i know i gave him the correct part# the first time......the only explanation for this either HE or the auto parts guy got me 1986 rotors all around since i did buy front rotors as well....Funny thing is the right rear rotor was fine and not rubbing the rotor with the bolots or bracket.

I looked up the spec for 86 rear rotors and 89 rear rotors.. the 86 were 1.03 inches in width 89 was .73.....a .30 DIFFERENCE......the diameter for the 86 was shorter than the 89..that is why the bolts were hitting it in the rear....

We installed the new rotors today and no longer were the caliper bolts hitting the rear of the rotor nor was the bracket flush against it the front of them....I FINALLY thought this NIGHTMARE was over....

I pull out to drive and its STILL SQUEAKING,,,,,BUTTTT no longer is it rubbing metal with metal when i hit a hard left...so im guessing that problem is fixed..but still have the squeaking problem from the left rear side.

Now what would be the only other explanation????? we removed the caliper...I engage my EBRAKE and see the caliper piston come out, but when i release the EBRAKE it wont retract it stays in the same place....would this mean my CALIPER is seized OR can this be fixed by adjusting the EBRAKE cable OR is it my brake line? i have stainless steel lines... Is this one way to tell that i need a new caliper????

I would also like to add that the when i pull the ebrake ,,the caliper stays siezed only on the left rear caliper and retracts when i push it back in manually .....but works perfect on the right caliper..... Would this be the parking brake cable? or is it for sure my left caliper just seizing and my parking brake cable is fine ????

I dont want to replace the whole caliper if its just the parking brake cable.

Any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Last edited by 86blackbetty; 11-15-2012 at 01:21 AM.
86blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote