View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Are you mounting them RWL out or blackwall?
What kind of quality is the car? Is it going to be sold soon?

The MT are a new tire and I don't know too many people with them. So no experience good or bad.

I'm not in love with BFG TAs anymore, I'm seeing quality issues. Coker might be making them now but I am not sure. But they are still a good looking tire and a name brand.

No offense, but if you put mastercrafts on a vette it screams POS. When you see a cheapo tire on a car you assume the rest of the car is cheapo too and full of cut corners. Harsh but true.

Coopers get a credible pass on a street car as they are a very decent tire. If you are mounting them BW I'd look twice at them.

If Firestone had not just killed their 500 line I'd have told you to go buy those. But you're like 6 months or so late on that. You can try and see if STS has a set on the shelves somewhere.

All that said....RWL tires are what they used to call 'cosmetic performance'. Meaning they look fast but are no more performance than grandpa's whitewalls because they are the same tire. IMO the decision points on RWL tires are 1) looks and 2) cost. Buy the ones that look good to you you can afford.
I have to replace the BFGs on the Nova for next season and BFGs will be going back on there, but not for performance reasons:

1.) 15" rims limit performance tire selection
2.) BFGs look good
3.) Costco quoted me a screaming deal for all 4.

That's it. They aren't really "performance" as Scott stated above. I would, and am, going BFG strictly for the name. Cooper Cobras and whatever Goodyear makes probably carry the same weight. Any other non-mainstream RWL brand just seems very rednecky to me.

JMHO
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote