View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Alex,

When I had the car with the original engine and PCM I had the VATS tuned out of the computer. That took out the TDM.

One day I got stranded because of the starter engagement issue, which is related to the TDR- the relay. I replaced the relay thinking it might fix the issue, but it didn't work. The switch was there to ground out the TDR if I needed some extra security (from what I remember).
The theft deterrent module sends the ground signal to the td relay once it sees the correct key resistance. This may be your issue.

I thought mine was to the left of the glove box but it has been a while. This shows it to the right. There should be a small gauge yellow/black wire. This goes to the TDM. If you simply ground this wire, probably to the metal dash structure, the key portion of VATS is bypassed. The purple wire goes to the starter. The yellow wires should be a large and a small. One comes from the ignition switch, the other from the 3 amp crank fuse through the neutral/clutch safety switch and powers the relay. Basically ground that wire and forget the rest

So, as long as vats is tuned out and you bypass the relay, your car has no VATS. If the Security light is still working in cluster, it will be lit. You can simply remove the bulb or wait for it to burn out