View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I think he means that a good number of engineering students complete their BS in 5 years vs 4. If he can swing the credits, getting it done in 4 is ideal.

I don't have a great feel for current engineering schools but here are a few pointers if they are helpful.

- The first couple years will weed out those not cut out for the degree.

- If your son isn't one who needed to really study in HS, he needs to understand that he should/will need to in engineering school. Perhaps he is one of the few that just still doesn't really need to study but best to start of strong vs play catch up through the years.

- Ask the questions to understand what the school will be doing to help get your son an internship or any paths that lead towards part time work either within the school or with partnering companies.

- Some schools require a form of writing class so if he isn't competent in writing, he will struggle and should look for help.

- Ask if the school will share any freshman professor grade reports. I've had some really bad professors and the good ones can make all the difference. Hell, myself and a few other students got a professor removed from a course (his track record was garbage when we looked into it).

- Does he have any interests that may be a career option down the road? Gina went into Packaging Engineering (required strong chemical and structural engineering principles) and that path had/still maintains a 100% hire rate. Pharmas in NJ pay well.... As you may recall, I do the energy efficiency side of things and that's an ever growing career. Other engineers can chime in with their experience but like anything else, if the person is hungry and wants to excel they will do well in any industry.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote