View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #384
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Whew, what a weekend! I will certainly type up an event recap in the coming days, perhaps even next week. Gotta upload photos, videos, etc.

I did ensure that the "replacement" injector stayed snug in the TBI and did not leak. I reloaded a clean tune file and made some fuel tune adjustments to accommodate for the lesser flowing injector. I was indeed able to race all the laps on Day 2 of the event and The engine/EFI performed well despite being down on capable power. Did not explode the engine, did not run it lean, did not foul the new spark plugs, and it didn't even misfire. Thank God for CL-Comp% and datalogging!

Drove the car home on Sunday morning and had zero issues with the drive aside from my dashcam is starting to get sensitive to vibration/harmonics it seems. Will discuss that later or in the other dashcam thread maybe

Anyways, today I called Holley. I am on the Holley EFI forums and have done heavy research on this dead injector topic over the last few days. I knew Holley was going to say "we will not ship you a replacement injector, we can only fix it if you ship the whole unit to us in kentucky". After 45 minutes on hold I spoke to a staffer who fully agreed that my situation was crappy. I got the answer form him I expected. I fought him tooth and nail for half an hour about simply just sending me (or selling me) a proper 100# injector. They refuse to do it. It is a liability if someone installs the injector wrong and burns down their car.... I just do not understand this.. Holley sells FUEL pumps, fittings, lines, gauges, regulators etc. All of that can certainly be installed wrong too though. Someone can overtighten a fitting and crack it, causing a jet stream of fuel to spray out just the same as anyone can damage an O-ring. People on the Holley forums have been angry and in disbelief about this exact topic for years and years now, but nothing can be done. They won't send you a replacement injector. (sidenote, back in the fall of last year they did send me a replacement internal fuel pressure regulator inside the sniper ... and I installed it, which was more "involved" than an injector,....but wth, its their "policy). I asked them where I could buy the exact injector from another supplier (so they were no longer burdened with liability) and they would not give up the source of their injector supply.

Not having much options, I started an RMA number/claim just in case I decide to send this whole sniper in to them for repair. IT will take them 2-3 weeks to get it repaired. Sadly, I can do the injector repair in 3-5 minutes.. tops... start to finish. If I do send the unit in, that will stink, but it will allow me to continue to use the car and race it for the rest of the year. I still plan on spraying a small nitrous shot at it in the fall too. If I were to wait until winter to send the sniper in, I would just be limited to car shows and cruise nights, as I am not going to race the car with 3 normal injectors, and one inadequate injector that only flows 42 pounds instead of 100.. despite mathematical "duty-cycles" and all that can be adjusted in the tune.. I'm just not going to be dumb and race it that way.

I will get to the event recap, just gotta decide what is best to do on this topic first.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote