View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #308
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Nothing too exciting here but figured I'd post a brief update.

Item 1:
I was chasing a P0327 code for a low input (sensor or circuit issue) which I don't know if its resolved but I've done everything reasonable to fix the issue. I replaced the knock sensor which didn't solve the problem but after further sleuthing, I found some wires (including the knock sensor wire) got a little toasty next to the passenger header. I think things just got moved around during the HG replacement a few weeks back. Purple is the starter wire and the blue is the knock sensor.

None of the wires in the bundle were visibly burnt and some multimeter testing didn't identify an issue either. Since I was there, I decided to splice and solder in a new wire while wrapping everything in heat resistant material to avoid a future issue. Everything was re-run away from the header with all of the zip ties. I cleaned the sensor connector as well just to rule out as many variables as possible.

The code came back again after all that so more diagnosing was needed. With help from Smash, the drivers side plugs were replaced with a fresh set given they were changed on the passenger side when the HG was done. Plugs looked fine overall however they were all gapped way too tight (0.020ish vs 0.0275). I'm pretty diligent when it comes to gapping plugs properly so no clue how that happened.

More driving and while it felt fine, the code still came back.

I then checked over every wire from injectors to spark plugs and it seems my #4 cylinder spark plug wire may not have been clicked all the way on the plug.

I haven't seen the code come back but sometimes it takes a few running cycles. Maybe its resolved or perhaps the saga will continue. (EDIT - Took it for a ride and it came back. Ack!)

Item #2
The factory steering wheel/airbag combo is ugly and none of the re-wrapping options I've seen help it to look any better. So it was time to embrace racecar a bit more and replace the wheel with a new unit sans airbag. One part of me wanted to retain the bag but the other suggests I shouldn't trust an 23 year old airbag anyway. Decisions were made and for my bday, I received the NRG short hub and quick disconnect. For the wheel, I grabbed a 350mm Sparco that appeared to best fit the style of the interior.

After some coaching from Smash regarding the install rigor and reading up, I got to work. I've pulled the wheel before so nothing was new there but I took pause when the short hub did not want to go deep enough on the steering column splines.

It became evident the clock spring needed to go. Given it would only be used for the now nonexistent steering wheel airbag and radio controls, out it went. I soldered in a 2.2k ohm resistor to keep the airbag system happy (and no light on the dash). and finished up the install. One annoying item was not getting hardware to install the wheel to the quick disconnect so a run to the hardware store was needed.

After I got it all buttoned up, I liked the look/wheel size/etc. but wasn't loving the new wheel position. The quick disconnect just brings it too far out from the dash. Granted the distance did give me a bit more room for the clutch leg so that was probably the only plus. I told myself, "Drive it and see if you get used to it." I took it for a maiden voyage and immediately noticed the steering effort was much higher and felt like driving a car with no power steering. Seems I tightened down the nut for the column a bit too tight even though I measured the release torque and matched it during install.

Foresight was on my side in a funny way as I spent a good deal of time getting the horn to function properly. I haven't used the horn in maybe 5+ years but I just wanted it to be functional. On my maiden voyage with the new wheel, I had to use the horn big time due to a NY minivan casually coming into my lane on 287. I wasn't in their blindspot and you would think the person would hear my car but nope....not a turn of the head nor any peripheral vision apparently. There was a quick panic as I steered to avoid an issue and a smirk as my muscle memory had me going for the horn as if the old wheel was there.

I ended up ditching the quick disconnect but needed a short spacer to give enough room for the horn button connections so that was installed yesterday. The placement is pretty perfect now.

I got a couple quick errands done and the lighting looked right for a quick picture.

The saga will continue.....

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 09-18-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote