View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

So here is the rundown of options after speaking with a few vendors. In general, the consensus is that while the rotors could be more efficient, the pads are likely the culprit since they are not able to withstand the heat. Going with a big brake setup won't result in necessarily better braking with the drag setup since I only have so much tire to work with. This was a good point made by Kore3.

Strano:
Try new pads that can take the heat. He recommended Hawk HP+ front pads and HPS 5.0's for the rear.

Kore3:
Better pads would help but the next good option is a front C6 caliper, good rotors and pads. They sell the kit for about $700 and it would work well with the stock rear calipers. The nice thing is that all of the parts are off the shelf sans the new brackets. He advised if I have the 93-97 spindles that it would be best to mod them versus doing the same to a set of 98-02 spindles. The 98-02 spindles could be resold easier if unmolested of course. I would be looking at another $1,400 for new front wheels.

Stoptech
Better pads would be a good first step but they would be happy to sell me a big brake kit. They did have an interesting thought of running a decent street pad and then switching pads before I head to the track. It's not a terrible idea since I would prefer less dust during street duty.

Wilwood
These folks have a new brake caliper/rotor setup that will fit under a 15" wheel but it's mainly labeled for drag use. I'd still have to check if they would clear my 15" Welds if I went this route. They sell bigger brake setups but you are still confined to their products.

To start, I think I will try a new set of pads and see how I like them. If I find it just doesn't work, I will make it rain on some new parts.

The question now becomes which pads I try.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 04-20-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote