View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
V
Stalker

rebuilding a CV axle shaft?

I'm wondering if I should try to fix/rebuild my current front axle shaft or just buy a new one instead. Car is a 1998 Cadillac STS. No issue with the axle up until it just popped apart one night while the motor/trans/cradle was out of the car. I figure just too much pressure pulling on it from the spindle and such.
The inner boot popped off the section that mounts into the transmission and the axle came apart. From what I've gathered, there is actually nothing that physically holds the shaft into that piece, other than the boot and pressure from the spindle holding it in. If that is the case, can I just pull it out, clean it up, pack it with grease, and throw a new metal clamp ring on it and call it a day?
Now if I would buy a replacement, Rockauto has 3 options for replacements, from 39-51 bucks.
It is also important to note that when it popped out, a very tan liquid poured out. So I guess there had been a leak and water had gotten in there at some point and mixed with the grease. I don't know what it all looks like inside because I have yet to remove it and clean it up. But if I pull it and its shot, I can always order one at that point I guess.

This car will be my daily driver for the next 6 or so months and I've already put enough money into it. So if I could save 40 bucks by using what I have, I'd like to. Plus if its the oem GM axle, perhaps its better than anything I'd buy for 50 bucks.

Last edited by V; 04-08-2017 at 08:10 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote