View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #110
The_Bishop
Power Member

Yeah, big fan of the Colorado. The size works for me.

The Diesel is real nice, on paper. The reality is the emissions systems are a freakin' nightmare.

A few things have been pushing me to trade in the Diesel.

Adding diesel fuel additive every time I filled up started getting old, and it's needed with the modern common rail stuff to keep the injectors/injection pumps alive.

Nobody local stocks the dexos 2 oil, or the oil filters, or the fuel filters. Need to mail order all the maintenance stuff unless I feel like paying 2X the price at the dealer, who may or may not have it in stock. The same dealership who's parts guy told me that Dexos1v2 is the same as Dexos2... Yeah, no it isn't. The wrong oil trashes the DPF, and the list price on that pipe is close to $2k.

Going on 20-30 minute drives to let the DPF finish burning off when it's doing a regen is a PITA. The fact that the truck doesn't give you any indication of a regen starting or the need for one sucks, I had to put in an add-on gauge for that.

Parts availability is scary low, even for the scarcity going on now due to the covid crap. Know of a few folks who had their trucks sitting in dealer lots for months waiting on parts that should be readily available, like diesel emissions system sensors. I don't think the parts thing is going to get much better thanks to the fact that the 2.8 duramax is getting chopped from the engine lineup, probably next year.

This all pointed to 'GTFO' while the trade-in was good. What opened the door is the DPF issue that needed 3 service regens to clear, despite no engine codes or signs of anything wrong until the truck told me I had 100 miles until lawn-ornament status. So I'm GTFO.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 02-07-2021 at 12:36 PM.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote