View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #352
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Yup, I get it. but think about how many OTHER thongs could fail or come loose on a car which could cause havoc. Especially a modified car built by a hobbiest like me. A simple 0-ring could go out on a fuel injector (tom bailey), A brake line could blow out, a bizarre ignition issue could wreak havoc on the engine (been there done that September last year), so I am not going to go full blown panic mode about a crack in a wheel. I was more after the scientific and tech info related to how salvageable it could be.

I will eventually bring em to a place for evaluation such as: Kenvil welding which Larry suggested, or USA wheels in Fairfield, or Harry of Harry's Hot Rod Shop in Dover (nearby Fania roofing). My neighbor who passed away from Covid in April of last year was a professional welder his entire life, he would have been great to chat with and practice welding with. RIP John

Just yesterday afternoon, I fired up the TIG welder for the first time I have ever used a Tig welder. Was pretty cool! I will have to get used to the action of using a foot pedal and feeding a rod with a glove on. I get free scrap metal (steel and aluminum) at work and I am all excited to practice as much as I can. I know I am not experienced enough to do it now, especially on cast aluminum like you guys discussed, because it is very tricky. But, perhaps I'll develop the necessary skill to attempt the project. Since I am not yet an accomplished welder, this is why I have opted to have a pro-welder install the roll bar in June. I'm not one to back down on a challenge or be hesitant to improve my mechanical abilities, but a roll bar setup is out of my league now. Going to keep practicing on scrap metal, and then move on to building a rolling cart for the welders and gas cylinders.

As for the spacers, I only use them to clear the brakes on these drag wheels. I had my Boze Forged wheels built to my backspacing specs and they are spot on. The Jegs wheels were a damn good deal from a good buddy so I was lucky to get them that cheap and use them for many drag days and street driving. Having a customs et of drag wheels is not in my price budget now as I have money budgeted for roll bar, and othe stuff mentioned above.

also cool:

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote