View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #356
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I had success today getting the wheels repaired. I am now ready for Drag Week 2021 and the Pikes Peak hill climb.

(joking obviously)

Yea, as for the oil pressure, I had noticed it all of a sudden became higher than usual just on my last Test and Tune day at island in October of last year. I did my research, and called the engine builder as well as Melling (oil pump) tech support. Both of them said its on the borderline of being problematic, but to keep an eye on it. So I have kept an very watchful eye on it for sure. I have verified the reading with an auxiliary Maddox pressure gauge and the dash needle is correct. I initially typed a little bit about this on the thread where I got an oil analysis test-kit done, just to make sure everything was healthy in the engine as 2020 came to a close. http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69185

I have read a whole ton of internet stuff about high oil pressure. The consensus is that the check valve in the pump is probably stuck closed. (not the check valve bypass valve in the filter) I don't have oil leaks, and when I did the intake manifold repair I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the valley tray, under the valve covers, or in the oil or oil filter after I did an oil change when the intake manifold was back on. It is a Dart SHP block, so it has priority-main oiling, meaning that the upper valvetrain could be effected from an oil pressure. Would really suck to have to drop the oil pan just to check for a POSSIBLE "stuck check valve" and find out that it is something different.

Might hookup the auxillary oil pressure gauge again and take a video of cold start, cold warmup, and driving around to help explain what I am seeing, but at idle its 70psi, and while driving and wot it floats above the dash gauges readout of 80, so I am guessing it is in the 95-100 range. It is a melling high-volume pump; not a melling high pressure pump.

I installed the lakewood 90/10 struts a week ago and they definitely helped with the weight transfer of the car at launch. I did not even have a hint of tire spin, but I still can't get the nose airborne, likely because I can only leave from idle or high idle, or up to 1,800 rpm. From m research, nobody makes a great transbrake for a 700R4, and I am skeptical of going that route anyways.

I did make a video about the Lakewood 90/10 front strut install, just because i was impressed with how quickly the struts sprung up. To skip past my chattering, you can start the video at 7:30 mins in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_FwFkD7hI
- However, since I am not drag racing for a few months, I already took the struts off and put the Koni yellows back on the car, along with the front swaybar.

This weekend there was a big fundraiser car show-cruise event here at Lake Hopatcong, with the Cops-n-Rodders club. They had about 400-425 cars that metup and drove around the lake. Tons of spectators along the route, the mayors and police and firefighters all worked to block off roads and ENCOURAGED BURNOUTS ! There were certain spots along the way where everyone was frying the tires; seriously almost everyone! I did 12 burnouts along the way, some of them using the line-lock an going from 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd gear, right next to police and spectators. Way cool!

- I was always curious to see if my brake lights were bright enough in the pure daytime sunlight after spray-tinting the rear tail-lights, and this photo answers my question
-Also, just moments after this photo, I did a good burnout directly under that american flag. Someone got videos from far far away of this burnout spot, my car comes across the screen at about 20:05 in the video.....which was apparently filmed with a very bad camera! link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRA6vtSBYY&t=1247s

lastly, on the way home from the cruise, I stopped by the local concrete quarry to weigh the car as it sits in full street mode. This is with the whole sound system in, empty nitrous bottle, full full tank of fuel, full interior. Weight with me in the car is: 3760 and without me is 3560. Seems legit, as I weigh about 194 pounds. I weighed the car now to find out what it weighs pre-roll-bar-installation. Last time I weighed the car last year was right before a test-and-tune dragstrip event and the car was stripped down in the interior and if I remember correctly, it was 3320 pounds.

Thats it for now.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-23-2021 at 08:39 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote