View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #382
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I will type up a better version if this next week after this ordeal is all said and done, but just as a brief update here is where I am at now.

After learning from this forum that I can't just go out and buy a holley specific 100# injector, I spent tons of time searching for a compatible one. O'Riley autoParts is near the track and was able to order me a "comparable" one, but for 4pm on Friday. The race is all day Friday and Saturday, but I had them order it anyways. IT is standard Motor Parts STD FJ988 which cost $83.

In the meantime, I knew I was going to miss the day of racing, so I tried calling local shops at 8am when they opened up Friday. A local diesel fuel injector repair shop was my best bet, but they told me they doubted they could check mine. They turned me on to a guy names Al, who is a retired engine builder and local winning racer of years gone by. I called Al, who was busy at the moment but he told me to meet him at a local Napa. I then borrowed Scott’s truck and met Al, and followed him through the hills of rural PA out to his house. He certainly was a local engine builder, with trophys, old racing hats and Polaroids, engine parts galore, a 2000 trans am Ws6 with a 427 and two stages of nitrous as his current toy car.

He had a fuel injector tester at his home garage, and we were hopeful that he could remedy the situation. He put the injector into an ultrasonic bath cleaning for 10 minutes, back-flow cleaned it, ohm tested it, pulled out he internal screen, ran a speed test and so forth. The injector would click, but not flow a drop of fluid. his determination was that the internal mechanism of the injector came apart, so there was no saving it. He tried, but it was hopeless. Went back to the track and spectated.

Luckily ORileys had their truck come in at noon instead of 4 pm. So I borrowed Scotts truck again and got the injector. Height wise it was the same but I noticed the bottom seat was tapered where the Holley injector is flat. Went back to the track, installed it after conferring with some of my buddies. Worked and sprayed!! Wow! Very cautiously I looked for leaks and none were found. I went out and made a lap, even though my plugs were fouled and tune was not the best. Made a decent lap but the whole
Time I was ready to get out of the throttle
If it started to backfire, but it did not. Made a couple more autocross laps and everything seems good to go now for the full day of racing. I changed the spark plugs last night and re-loaded a clean tune as well.

What a roller coaster this situation has been, but I am hopeful I can race all day today and then drive the car the 230 miles home tomorrow morning.

So let’s see how today goes…!

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote