View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Goodbye Gas-powered GM vehicles

We all pretty much knew it was coming and now it seems GM has finally announced it. By 2035 (in 14 years) GM will no longer produce gasoline powered cars and light trucks.

I know its not a huge deal, and thats how technology progresses but still, its something that makes you stop and think. My younger son is already into cars a little and likes watching shows working on them and such and to think, when he gets his license, The new car showrooms will only have electric vehicles. Plus, its "by" 2035. Could do the full changeover years prior. Yes, there will still be the used market, but how long will that really last for. Cars today seem to be almost disposable, a 10 year old car seems old now. Even the older cars will probably become more rare, and therefore more expensive. And then we can only assume the price of gasoline will gradually increase to the point where it'll be intended to push consumers out of older models, and into all electric cars.

Also makes me think about my project cars, like my '79 Vette. That literally hasn't run in 20 years. By the time I get around to putting it back on the road, who knows if you can buy gas still. I see 2050/2055 as a reasonable end to having gasoline powered cars on the road. Perhaps it'll be like horseback riding and horse and buggy were back in the late 1900s. People still did it, but it wasn't mainstream, only could go on certain roads, no highways etc. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
V is offline   Reply With Quote