View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Untamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I would give a thumbs down on the Wiki, just because people could give bad advice that isn't checked properly.
Bad advice will always be problematic, whether its in a wiki format, or the tech forums we already have now. Technically vetting the advice could come from either trained (and experienced) mechanics, or by general consensus. The former allows for quick, concise agreements or suggested changes to the advice, eliminating long discussions; the latter allows for additional ideas or approaches to the topic in question as well as technical vetting, though the discussion threads get long and ambiguity sets in with the disagreements.

Like setting up moderators of a forum, pick out three competent mechanics within the club to respond to advice posted in a wiki, correcting mistakes, clarifying misinterpretations and offering other suggestions (these are all opinions, not professional recommendations) that become add-ons to the topic in question. Since all we're really doing is capturing people's experiences - what went right and wrong, and what would you do differently next time - I don't think we have to worry about giving professional testimonials that will be used in court, or sold in books to the public. Just preserve the experience and advice of those who have truly "been there, done that".

The tech section shouldn't be a place to post hypothesis, philosophical discussion, or other think-tank type topics. It should just be a repository for "what's worked for me" so that other people, who may be working on the same thing, can get some insight into the process. It's recording the facts of what happened during the event, while also providing opinion about how things might be made easier.

I can't see too many of these being posted each day, so a daily or weekly sweep of the "tech experience threads" would be enough for most people, without placing any real burden on the mechanics who moderate the threads.

Feedback?

EDIT: The kinds of things that would probably be most useful to people, aren't the "big" things like swapping engines, but instead those little, annoying these we have to do that are specific to the model / year of our cars.

Ex.

"How to remove A-pillar trim from a third gen Firebird without breaking the plastic pins."

"Replacing the Engine Temp Sending Unit, in a Chevy 305 - Without Pulling Out the Engine" (if there is any advice on this, I'm all ears, so to speak.)

"Realigning the hood on your third gen Camaro, by yourself."

.. and so on.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.

Last edited by Untamed; 05-31-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote