View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 07:32 PM   #449
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Having the transmission cross-member and mount done was a big cross-off and it allowed me to move on to modifying the cross-member that spans the gap between the right/left sub-frame connector, and it also doubles as part of the driveshaft safety loop, but most importantly, it is the front mount for my adjustable torque arm. The bottom part of it has been the lowest point of my undercarriage for 10+ years, and I knew I could not run the exhaust any lower than this point all along the underside of the whole car. The 4" pipe barely fit above it, but I knew the exhaust would need some movement/flex as the car drives along, so I made the choice to cut out a section of the cross-bar and put in a notch. I also needed to re-bend the 3/16" steel that is the driveshaft safety loop, and I cut of the one mounting tab for it and moved it a few inches outboard on the cross-bar. The notch in the bar will be right where the 3"to4" flowmaster merge will be and it should have good clearance when the exhaust is finally mounted on metal hangers add anchored good. However, just in case, I might want to put some type of "heat safe" padding or isolator between the merge collector and that flat piece on the cross-bar. What kind of material would work for that?

here you can see the six 1/2" bolts coming from above , and also the 3/8" bolts that go horizontally from the frame/subframe through the trans crossmember side mounts

I temporarily positioned the mufflex system, but my next task will be welding the v-band flanges onto the ends of the longtube headers. I pulled out the headers today, so maybe after work tomorrow I can get the flanges on them. Once that is done, I can install the headers for good, as well as install the starter, run new copper-nickle trans fluid lines, and install the oil pressure sending unit as well.

Then it will be onto a new challenge for me, making the pie-cuts and lengths of pipe that will run from each header to the flowmaster 3"to4" collector. This is where I will have a section of straight 3" diameter pipe that I plan on welding in some oxygen sensor bungs. I will also be using those flex-pipes, but I am going to put them downstream of the o2 sensor, (in front of the merge pipe), just in case they have any small leaks.. it hopefully wont get screwey with the o2 sensors.

Drivers side idea

Pass side idea

Last edited by IROCZman15; 01-30-2022 at 07:50 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote